Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    As more and more of the info I need comes in pdf format, I was frustrated that I couldn't read this on my treo.

I had purchased doc to go 7 last fall, and in searching the forums, found that version 8 now supports pdf. So I searched some more on pdfs, and found that there is a GNU tool called palmpdf.

I have not upgraded (which is $30) to v8, and was hoping to hear from anyone who might have some experience with these 2 pieces of SW.

Palmpdf seems like it will do what I want, it is a pretty large memory footprint, though it says you can put the rendering engine onto a memory card (though the documentation does not explicitly state how to do so, and it seems like there is only the 1 prc file that is the program).

Thanks for any input
    It's a menu item in PalmPDF -> To Card, this copies the rendering engine to the card and removes it from the .prc. Next time you will view a PDF file, the rendering engine is copied back into the main memory and removed when you leave PalmPDF.
    Memory footprint of PalmPDF:
    * 100 kb main application
    * 500 kb fonts, copied to the card, can then be removed fro mthe .prc file by use of "Strip PRC" menu item
    * 1.2 MB rendering engine, can be removed from the .prc file and copied to the card by use of "To Card" menu item

Regards
    Henk
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Anyone have a history of problems with PalmPDF? We have a small number of Treo650's and it seems that after adding PalmPDF to them, we get intermittent problems with the data/GPRS connection that requires a hard-reset to solve. Anyone else have similar problems? The main difficulty in diagnosing is that the problem is so intermittent, but I just started to run a 650 without PalmPDF today to see if the same problem arises...just trying to isolate to the app, or not.
    I have a minor problem with using PalmPDF, but it has nothing to do with the data connection. Sometimes I may be trying to open a PDF file using Palm PDF and my Treo 650 will immediately do a soft reset. Other times if I try to scroll too fast for advancing pages, or if I enlarge to more magnification, this too may cause a soft reset. Overall, PalmPDF works pretty well, except for the occasional soft resets every so often.

By the way, I recently figured out how to change the setting to render the file in COLOR instead of the default black & white...very cool! Even better, I figured out how to change the setting so it quickly scrolls the page from left to right in just a couple/few clicks of the wheel.

Casey
    I would avoid DTG's PDF reader like the plague. I found it to be too slow for EVERY operation, like zooming and moving around a page. PalmPDF is clearly superior IMO.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Never really tried DTG version because after PalmPDF I really didn't need anything else. It uses very little onboard memory, and renders the pdfs pretty much perfectly and quickly. I didn't see a need for anything else.

It's true that if you already have too much in your dbcache, running this program will cause a reset. This tends to be true whenever you run any big programs. I don't run pdf files that often, and so I don't consider it a big deal. It's a soft reset, you don't lose any preferences or anything.
    My preference is for the DtoG version, I use is regularly.

I don't think it is slow, Adobe version is slower still.

PalmPDF and Adobe versions reset all the time... (I would
    tolerate slow over random resets anyday)

DtoG version also handles larger files better.

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 05/04/2006 at 09:17 PM.
    Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    ...Treo 650 will immediately do a soft reset.... Overall, PalmPDF works pretty well, except for the occasional soft resets every so often.
    Wow! random resets with almost every type of operation...
    I'd say try palmPDF... it does a VERY NICE job with pdfs... but I wonder if MY resets and my issues are ZL related... my cache memory is NOT as available as my bro's T650 (who runs no launcher) and palmPDF runs well for him.

I have the D2G version 8 tho it's nothing really spectacular... You could download the DEMO to get a feel for it... it does NOT render as well as the PalmPDF does...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    When you have PDF files with rather large images inside (as for printing purpose) and want to get a better experience with PalmPDF on this files (as they eat up the dynamic memory on your device quite fast), I might suggest you use Acrobat for Palm conduit on the desktop to convert them down. Let the resulting file hotsync to the SD-Card and use the latest PalmPDF to open this file: Voila, it's much smaller as everything is adapted for the small screen. But the handling is still much better than on the real Acrobat for Palm app.

BTW: GreenHex, I can't believe you that D2G doesn't suffer from a full DBCache or limit dynamic memory. I got other reports.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    I have the Treo 650 Unlock GSM and for me, the PalmPDF is super - faster & free, without crashes etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaView
    BTW: GreenHex, I can't believe you that D2G doesn't suffer from a full DBCache or limit dynamic memory. I got other reports.
    I grant that, but at least the files that repeatedly crashed Acrobat
    are opened by the DtoG version. My preference for DtoG is ONLY for
    that reason.

This is a constant balancing act with my Treo, DBCache... Apps... whatever!

- mvk
    Game over!