1. RPN
    My Treo650 used to connect to GPRS without any problems. But now suddenly it won't.

When I try to connect it pops up a box saying "Attaching GPRS" - I didn't use to get that message - what does it mean?

I tried doing a warm-reset and start all over reinstalling everything anew (I made sure I emptied the "Archive" and "Backup" folders in the PalmOne program folder on my PC (after making a backup though) before hot-sync'ing so it wouldn't put some bugged system file back on the phone again - at least that was the idea...)

...There is a bit of history though, cos the phone I originally bought (which, btw, had an older OS version) turned out to be defect so I got it replaced with a new one (which has the latest OS update; 1.20-ENA) and transferred my settings from the first one to the new one when I hot-sync'ed it first time. - Connection worked fine afterwards though, problems didn't start till later. - Might not have anything to do with it, but then again it might after all.

I am really curious about the "Attaching GPRS" message box, cos as I said I didn't use to get that. - Anybody knows anything about that? What it indicate, etc.?

I hope someone can help.

Thanx in advance.
    I get that if I try to make an online connection prior to the triangle appearing above the signal meter.
  3. RPN
    Hmm... Well I am getting that message WHENEVER I try to connect to GPRS - And only after it's gone (which usually takes a looooong time - 'bout a minute or so) the Treo650 pops up the "Connecting..." message, and then after a short while: "Cancelling..."
  4. RPN
    HUH?! - Now I suddenly received ... on the phone ... the mail welcoming me to the forum... So I guess my connection is suddenly good again. Tried connecting now, and it works fine. Don't get that message now. - Guess it must've just been the network that's been bad for a couple of days then. Strange.

Well, as all seems to be alright; sorry for the fuss then.

:-)
    Hi ... The message means the phone is looking for the gprs signal. Usualle the network is at fault and the message will disappear - as it did in your case.
    - Wouter
    well, here in germany, i have this "attaching gprs" prompt when i go online after quite a while. when i keep connecting often or keep the connection alive for hours at a stretch and then disconnect and connect again, this "attachin gprs" thingy does not appear.
    i think it is better not to worry about it as long as you dont have problems with the connections
    Wish I would have found this thread before I posted in the 680 section.
    I have the exact same problem, spendt an hour on the phone with Cingualr tonight, and they said my phone was probably messed up. & they are sending me a new one tomorrow.
    About 1/2 hour later, it started working again.
    So now I'm confused if it really is the phone or not???
    Quote Originally Posted by ILBandit View Post
    Wish I would have found this thread before I posted in the 680 section.
    I have the exact same problem, spendt an hour on the phone with Cingualr tonight, and they said my phone was probably messed up. & they are sending me a new one tomorrow.
    About 1/2 hour later, it started working again.
    So now I'm confused if it really is the phone or not???
    In my case, this happened like three, four times in the past year.

The response from the support personnel is the same, "Something wrong with the phone."

But I figured out that it is really "something wrong at the carrier side" as each time the problem corrected itself. (my guess is, they are probably doing something on the exchange side of things - reconfiguration, or testing or something like that). It connects and works normally once it gets over this "phase".

This is easy to check, because you can ask somebody else using GPRS if they have the same problem (this is usually the case). Or you can pop your SIM onto another phone and check if GPRS can connect.

If I find it is a "global" problem, I ask a few others to also call support and complain. That usually settles it, and the problem is corrected in a few hours.
    One more thing I've noticed...

If GPRS is connected then there is no problem, it will stay connected and transfer data. However, if you disconnect it, then reconnection becomes a problem... (more reasons to suspect a carrier problem) Just thought I should mention this subitlity.
    I figured it was a data service problem, that is why I called them up tonight, to ask what was gonig on.
    I figure, if they want to send me a new phone, I'll take it, and see what happens. If it starts up again on the new phone, I'm make another phone call, and push a little harder. LOL
    I rely on e-mail, and web quite a bit, for personal stuff, and epecially work. So not being abe to get on the web, or e-mail is a big issue with me. That is the whole reason I went with the 680.
    Hopefully this issue will be resoved.
    Alot of other people that I work with carry a Treo, and they haven't had any problems this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILBandit View Post
    Alot of other people that I work with carry a Treo, and they haven't had any problems this week.
    That's what I was trying to say... In case they are already connected, they wouldn't even notice that something is wrong. The problem really happens when one tries to connect afresh from a disconnected state. (of-course they should be on the same carrier).