Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Ive started using Quicknews and I like it, at least for reading the stubs of articles within the original RSS feed.

But Im finding it a real pain when I link out, via my browser, to the full articles. Its so slow!! Im used to doing my normal web browsing via site-compression services like Skweezer or Mobileleap, with images turned off. In terms of time, for many sites I think its actually quicker to forget about RSS and just read the original web pages via the compression service.

Can anyone think of a way to route linking from within Quicknews through one of these compression services?

geoff
    sounds like a good enhancement request for QN. You should post it on their forums
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    sounds like a good enhancement request for QN. You should post it on their forums
    great minds think alike.
    I had already thought and done the same. Ill report back anything helpful from there of course.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff
    great minds think alike.
    I had already thought and done the same. Ill report back anything helpful from there of course.
    Ben Gottlieb from Standalone said its not possible at present, but will be considered as a feature for next upgrade.

I tried entering in the address of some rss feeds after the compression site details e.g.

http://demo.mobileleap.net/www.abc.n...storiesrss.xml

This actually works fine within a standard browser, in that any internal links within the original page are also routed through the compression service, but it does not work from within an aggregator like Quicknews. The aggregator does not recognise an address like the one above as that of proper feed.

geoff
    No solution really, but I'm having success just using web-based Bloglines as an RSS reader. Perhaps ditch Quicknews and use that. It's great to be able to jump on a desktop and have all the feeds up to date and knowing which of them has been read.

Other alternative is to do a ROM update and get fast mode Blazer. It's a very worthwhile update.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Friar
    No solution really, but I'm having success just using web-based Bloglines as an RSS reader. Perhaps ditch Quicknews and use that. It's great to be able to jump on a desktop and have all the feeds up to date and knowing which of them has been read.

Other alternative is to do a ROM update and get fast mode Blazer. It's a very worthwhile update.
    Thanks, your Holiness!

Yes Bloglines does look promising. It saves on an extra program and jumping back and forth between the two.

Is that faster Blazer one that comes with the 650? I hadnt been aware of this possibility.

geoff
    I like the way Bloglines can put all of the blogentries on one page so it's very easy to navigate just by paging down. I tried QuickNews, but didn't find it suited me with all the jumping back and forth to the list of blogs. Podcatching part is good though...

Fast mode Blazer is off the Life Drive but installed on the Treo. Search for more info. I just installed a (gsm unlocked) prebuilt ROM using the SD card technique. All went very smoothly. Just downloaded the files to an SD card, backed up, inserted SD card, waited for update and then did a restore.

friar