1.    #1  
    I just received this new Cingular Treo650 yesterday, the first sync was fine, but the second time I try to sync, Hotsync stuck at 'Identifying User' on PC and 'Synchronizing Conduit Turnkey' on Palm. After I do a hard reset on Treo, reinstall Palm Desketop suite, delete everything under PalmOne folder, and reinstall Palm Desktop suite, I get another complete sync, Hotsync get stuck at the same place again thereafter. Any idea what's wrong? Oh, the host pc is an IBM T42p running WinXP Pro SP2.
    I have the same problem, though it just started occurring with my Treo after a year of problem-free syncs. I'll be interested if anyone has a solution to this.
  3.    #3  
    it turns out that the problem with mine is a program called Credant Mobile Guardian that was installed automatically on my company laptop which I use to sync with my treo, not sure if yours is the same issue.
    Gents,
    Here I am in 2008 with the same issue. Did you ever managed to solve this?
    Regards,
    alvamar
    I believe there may be a correlation between the 'identifying user' problem and low free space on the Palm device. Before I upgraded to the Treo 680 (which has twice the memory of the 650) I would often move a largish app to my SD card when I had this problem, and move it back afterwards, or otherwise try to free up at least 3 MB on the device. One can move apps using FileZ, though it can be confusing locating the right destination. (Any destination is probably OK if the move is temporary.)
    Thanks very much to Nico - I was also getting stuck at identifying user, and indeed freeing up some memory on the Treo 650 did allow the Hotsync to work.