1.    #1  
    Hey
    First post. Looking to join the Treo side. Have been a Nokia cell with Palm device guy since I can remember. Im in the middle of contracts but just got the funds to look for a used treo. I am wondering if there is anything I should be looking for or something that something to stay away from if I am looking to ebay a 650? Thanks
    Peace
    coltcannon
    Make sure that you get the right type of Treo for your carrier (GSM or CDMA). If you get a GSM phone make sure that its either unlocked (costs more) or if locked make sure that it's branded for the carrier that you use.

Lastly, the only why that you can tell 100% for sure if the GSM Treo is unlocked is by putting in sim from a carrier other than the one on the phone. That's because after the subsidy unlock code is input the phone gives the same message regardless of whether the phone was unlocked or not.
    If you looking to get a CDMA Treo for either Sprint or Verizon, make sure the ESN of the phone is free and clear from any prior billing issues.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    use a cc to buy it...

check an unlock service (search the forum) before you buy an unlocked unit. Unlocked is unlocked and it might end up being cheaper to buy a locked phone and get it unlocked by a third party.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the tips. I am looking for a gsm because I am with Cingular. Unlocked is not a big deal for me unless its going to be an unbranded phone which I would prefer. If I find a good deal on a Cingular branded Im going to take it. I am wondering how hard customizing the rom is? I cant stand stuff like Welcome and whatever Cing software locks on it.
    Peace
    coltcannon
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    search and ye shall find - there is a ton of knowledge on the baord, including but not limited to custom rom....

enjoy.
    I would look on Craigslist so that you can buy the phone in person and make sure it works.
    I got my Treo on eBay. It worked out fine. I do suggest you to contact the seller couple times to feel how the communication goes. Most importantly, if you see a device with a really cheap prices, and all the seller is saying is to ask you wire money through Western Union, stay away from it! Once I almost fell into that trap. (I insisted to use PayPal/credit card and the seller disappeared.) Well I think this probably goes to any purchase on eBay. Good luck!
  9.    #9  
    Well I got a deal on an unbranded 650. So I am looking for tips on what to do once I get it, ie set everything to factory default and make sure it will work with cingular. Should I call them and see what they have to say?. Ive read that I need to clear off any other Palm software before I sync.
    Peace
    coltcannon