1.    #1  
    Hi folks - I've recently bought a Treo 650 (unlocked GSM). Upgraded to the 1.20 firmware and wireless Activesync works very well to our corporate Exchange 2003 server.

Today I installed the Palm Desktop (4.14 from the original CD) and specified to use Outlook 2003 instead of Palm Desktop when the option was given, and now when I do a hotsync my Treo's calendar and Versamail inbox are emptied, but other Outlook things like notes and contacts come across fine.

Am I misunderstanding Activesync - does it work exclusively over the wireless connection and preclude any synchronisation via hotsync, or did I just mess something up? I've read through the docs and KB at Palm's site and searched these forums, but I haven't found anything really conclusive.

Thanks,
    Julian.
    Right Click on teh hotsync icon in the system tray.

click on custom. at the option for Calender (Outlook) what does it say on the right column.

Sync you treo with the exchange server so that your calender is there. then set the custom option for calender to "Device overwrites Desktop" Do 1 hotsync. then your calender should be in both outlook and the treo. Then go back and set that option to "sycronize the files" that way if you add any thing in outlook it will make it to your phone.

Also I am not an exchange user, but cant you sync your outlook calender to the exchange server also, without going through the phone.
  3.    #3  
    cant you sync your outlook calender to the exchange server also, without going through the phone.

Sorry should have been a bit clearer - Outlook is already connected to the same Exchange server as I'm using for Activesync, and it already has all the same calendar data in it.

What I'd like to do (and how I assumed it would work) is to be able to sync up the Treo's calendar and email (and notes, contacts, etc) to Exchange using normal USB hotsync when I'm at my desk, and then when I'm away be able to get mail and calendar updates wirelessly with Activesync.

What's happening right now is that Activesync works wirelessly, Hotsync works -- but only for contacts & notes & other installed apps -- and if I enable Versamail as part of hotsync then it wipes my calendar and email clean.

I've currently got the Calendar(Outlook) conduit set to Do Nothing, which was how it was installed when I installed Palm Desktop. For now I've just disabled the desktop Versamail sync.

Cheers,
    Julian.
    Quote Originally Posted by julianz
    I've currently got the Calendar(Outlook) conduit set to Do Nothing, which was how it was installed when I installed Palm Desktop. For now I've just disabled the desktop Versamail sync.

Cheers,
    Julian.
    You need to set "Calender(Outlook)" to "syncronize the files" If its set to so nothing then of course it wont sync.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin17
    You need to set "Calender(Outlook)" to "syncronize the files" If its set to so nothing then of course it wont sync.
    Fair enough, although my initial concern was to stop wiping the calendar out each time; I didn't want to wipe my Outlook calendar by accident.

I set the Versamail conduit to Do Nothing as it seems to be what kills the calendar, and the Calendar(Outlook) conduit to sync just once. The sync completes without errors but doesn't actually sync anything. If I view the log, then the calendar still says it's set to do nothing, so that would explain the problem.

If I set the calendar to sync as the default option and click Done, then Hotsync Manager crashes instantly. I'm beginning to think a reinstall might be in order!

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
    Julian.
  6.    #6  
    OK I've done some more reading and it looks like what I'm trying to do (sync my calendar wirelessly via EAS and via USB to Outlook when I'm at my desk) is not possible. Palm sums it up fairly succinctly here:

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(36077),ts=Palm_External2001

"If you use EAS, you have a choice: you can either sync wirelessly with VersaMail's EAS, or you can delete the EAS account and sync your Calendar via HotSync. You cannot choose to sync only email with EAS; your option is to sync email and calendar, or not to use EAS."

Which does indeed suck donkeys, but at least I know the answer. I guess the solution is to see whether work complains about the size of my wireless data bill at the end of this month, and choose to continue using EAS based on that :-)

Cheers,
    Julian.