Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. c4r
    I would have thought this question would have already been asked...I searched and searched...but to no avail.

Ques: Is it possible, with Cingular and a 650, to have 2 phone numbers assigned to 1 one phone. i.e., business and personal? A multi line sim? Are both numbers 'active' at the same time?

Thanks for the input!

Davidj.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    No.
    I've just comeback from a Asian country where they can combine up to 10 numbers into 1 sim card.
    Another method is they physically combine 2 SIM cards together. This double SIM card can be used on the others phone but NOT on treo 650 nor 600.
  3. c4r
    Yea....I was thinking that...esp since I could find no posts on the subject. I did read a bit where people were having success using 'multi sim' card holders...cutting the sim, etc with a 650. If that does work, I guess I could use 2 cingular sims in the one phone. Not quite the capability I was hoping for, tho.

dj.
    The Treos (or for the matter, ALL cellphones) come with 2 lines
    built-in - the phone is capable of handling two separate numbers.

This feature may have been crippled by the carrier. Cingular... etc.

I always though that this whole thing was a scam. To actually use
    this feature, one requires that the SIM be enabled on multiple networks,
    (or two numbers on the same network). Some software configuration
    needs to be done with cooperation from your service provider(s).

A more elegant way would have been to provide two SIM card holders.
    But that would have meant handing over a revenue generating mechanism
    to the consumer, giving h(im/er) a greater choice and flexibility on which
    line (s)he uses to make calls.

- mvk
    Game over!
  5. c4r
    Hmmm...makes me wonder if there would be a 'hackable' solution to this. A software mod on the 650....

Hmmm....

I guess I can dream....

I haven't heard of anything like that, but it'd certainly be cool. Two different numbers for two different people! It'd make it kinda like a PC in how you can set up different accounts for different users.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Why would you want 2 numbers on the same phone? Home and office use, switch over during work hours? Share the cost of the phone with your roommate (it's my turn to have the phone Betty Lou is getting out tonight)
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  8. c4r
    I own a business where my cellphone is my main contact number. Plus I have a personal cellphone where only friend/family call me. It'd be ALOT easier if I could just carry 1 phone....and when a work call comes in, I'd be able to look at my phone and know if it's work call...and answer it accordingly....and if it's a personal call...I'd answer it accordingly. Or let one or the other go to voicemail, as necessary.

Can't someone figure out how to do this??? I wish I could!

dj.
    I was in a situation where I was a consultant/product rep. CAD software and systems implementation. I got the 650 on my own because it only made profitable sense for what I was doing at the time. I tried to get the office to pay me some grift on the phone as I was using it to their benefit. They agreed if I could get my personal number separated from their company number. Couldn't do it so no cash.

So there's an example?
    Quote Originally Posted by c4r
    I own a business where my cellphone is my main contact number. Plus I have a personal cellphone where only friend/family call me. It'd be ALOT easier if I could just carry 1 phone....and when a work call comes in, I'd be able to look at my phone and know if it's work call...and answer it accordingly....and if it's a personal call...I'd answer it accordingly. Or let one or the other go to voicemail, as necessary.

Can't someone figure out how to do this??? I wish I could!

dj.
    Nextel does have this ability and it was quite convenient. I am hopeful that with the sprint/nextel merge that someday sprint will also offer it.
    I lived for a while in Tunisia, and there you could do the oppossite - have multiple SIM cards for one line. So you could have the wicked expensive phone you use normally, and the much cheaper extra phone for going clubbing or to the beach - so if it got broken or lost, it was not as big a deal.

Stateside I use Sprint though, so not sure if that's available with our GSM carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenithNadir
    have multiple SIM cards for one line.
    Is this is actually possible and allowed? Couldn't the carrier block
    one (or both, or all of em)? What happens when all phones with
    the same number are switched on? Which one rings for an incoming
    call? Is it possible to make calls from all of them at the same time?

Questions, questions...

I always dreamt of such a solution for a phone for my car.

- mvk
    Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by c4r
    Hmmm...makes me wonder if there would be a 'hackable' solution to this.
    There must be someone, somewhere who could "hack" the simcard...
    (no hacking necessary on the Treo, I think).

While protection mechanisms in DVDs, SW and other such things are
    routinely "cracked", hacking SIM cards does not appear to be a
    popular activity nor are they as freely available.

Possibly, one could copy SIM information from two genuine cards, onto
    a hacked SIM, which could then be inserted into a phone enabling both
    lines. Obviously, it is not that simple, othewise, someone would have
    done it by now.

- mvk
    Game over!
    Once when I was traveling in Italy, I saw in the Altostrata Coffee shops where they had a selection miscellaneous electronic devises. They were selling a SIM cardholder that carried 2 SIM cards (not sure what phones this would fit into). You simply shut the Phone to boot the cards back and forth, but you could not have them both active at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by harrymerkens
    You simply shut the Phone to boot the cards back and forth, but you could not have them both active at the same time.
    This kind of switching is very inconvenient.

Especially when phones are already capable of receiving calls
    on both lines at the same time.

You can switch between SIMs by a menu selection or button
    press before making a call.
    Us CDMA users want a solution as well! I can expense my business calls each month, but it is a freaking chore as I have to circle which ones are business and which ones are personal. Company then reimburses based on a percentage of business minutes used against current plan. Having two lines would simplify this process immensely.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    Is this is actually possible and allowed? Couldn't the carrier block
    one (or both, or all of em)? What happens when all phones with
    the same number are switched on? Which one rings for an incoming
    call? Is it possible to make calls from all of them at the same time?

Questions, questions...

I always dreamt of such a solution for a phone for my car.

- mvk
    iirc, you needed a contract account to do it - i was on a prepay line, so it was not even possible. but the director of marketing for tunisiana (the phone service that offered it) was an aussie i met through the expat community, and he had the dual-line jawn.

here it is, two identical sim cards for multiple phones:
    http://www.tunisiana.com/publish/viewarticle.jsp?ID=232

they also offer two lines on one sim card:
    http://www.tunisiana.com/publish/viewarticle.jsp?ID=247

in any case, it's clear the technology exists and is used elsewhere; but it's another case of the US not getting the benefits right away (assuming we will at all).
    Put one sim card in, forward all calls to the other number, then swith sim cards. At least you wouldn't miss any calls.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Aren't there phone number forwarding services? will forward one phone number to another, transparent to the caller, for a fee of course. Answering services use this feature.

I would just forward the business number when I wanted to take business calls, otherwise leaving it on voicemail, or sending it to an answering service, depending on the importance of the business.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast