1. noc
    anyone know why? I bought a locked cingular 650. seller got me the unlock code from cingular. i put a cingular card in the phone, entered the code properly, got the message saying its been unlocked. shut it down, slipped in my T-Mobile card and message says "this phone cannot be used with this SIM card." What's the deal? Need help!
    Thatís because the phone is still locked. Any 8 digit number you enter will say it is unlocked for some reason. But only one specific 8 digit number will really unlock it. I called Cingular about two weeks ago and requested my subsidy unlock code. CSR told me they would email in a week, seven days later I received the code just like she said!
    I went to local T-Mobile store and asked them to try one of their sims and it worked.
    I have been a Cingular customer since 1990 though if that makes any difference. Perhaps seller lied?
  3. noc
    was on the phone with both the seller and cingular rep (3 way call) and confirmed the code. T-Mobile card still won't work...
    Sorry don't know what to tell you! Though CSR have been known to lie!
    Lots of reports of Cingular CSR's lying in this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=72603
    I do recall reading on a thread here that after a certain number of attempts entering the incorrect code something would happen to phone (don't remember what). Perhaps that has happened in your case. there may have been attempts to unlock before you received phone.
    I had the same problem. It turns out that some Cingular branded treo 650's don't unlock properly with the "correct" unlock code. Palm does have backup unlock codes for the phone. The trick is getting the Cingular rep to contact Palm for the correct unlock code. I got frustrated trying to go through normal channels so I emailed the CEO of Palm and shortly thereafter a palm employee contacted me. After about a day he got me an alternative unlock code that worked!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    one other possibility is you got an unlock code, but not THE unlock code. There is a SIM unlock code that the CSR can provide over the phone. Enter the code and the phone says it is unlocked. All that happened is the SIM lock was removed.

You need a SUBSIDY unlock code. You can buy one of these (search the forum) for about $25, or get it from the carrier.

I would find it hard to believe that Cingular would provide a subsidy unlock code to anyone but the owner (and certainly not on a 3 way call).

Again, if they gave you the code over the phone, it is probably NOT the subsidy unlock code. I had one CSR insist that is what they wer giving me, whe it was not.
    Quote Originally Posted by climber_rich
    I had the same problem. It turns out that some Cingular branded treo 650's don't unlock properly with the "correct" unlock code. Palm does have backup unlock codes for the phone. The trick is getting the Cingular rep to contact Palm for the correct unlock code. I got frustrated trying to go through normal channels so I emailed the CEO of Palm and shortly thereafter a palm employee contacted me. After about a day he got me an alternative unlock code that worked!
    Same experience with me, although I didn't email the CEO. I actually called the high end warranty department, and they said they'd call Palm first. They did, and Palm got them a whole different code - that one worked.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    I, too, am having the same problem. I just got a replacement Cingular Treo 650 from Palm. Called Cingular for the subsidy unlock code and got it immediately. Yea!

I entered the 8-digit number, and "successfully" unlocked the phone. Put in a T-Mo sim card, and, BUMMER, it can't be used! Called back to Cingular, got a most unhelpful CSR, "I'm not surprised, some of those sim cards just won't work." This stated despite my explaining that the T-Mo card worked well in my prior 650. And, the CSR wouldn't confirm that this was a correct number nor look-up another number for me, replying in a perfunctory manner, "If you enter an incorrect code more than 5 times, then your phone is worthless." Sheesh!

A search at Treocentral was more helpful. Several others have reported similar problems with newly aquired Cingular 650's. climber_rich's posts suggesting contacting Palm for a "correct" subsidy unlock number is helpful. I am wondering if I request a Cingular CSR or the "high end warranty department" (like mistercoffee1 did) to contact Palm, or call Palm directly about this?
    Third call to Cingular CSR, more helpful this time, but, alas, same old problem. The CSR confirmed my subsidy unlock code matched with my IMEI. Furthermore, she stated their is ONLY ONE subsidy unlock code that will match an individual phone's IMEI. I was able to encourage her to call Palm, whom replied that they don't have or give out subsidy unlock codes, only the service provider. The CSR suggested that the T-Mo sim card that I tried might "not be compatible with Cingular's network."

I don't know...the T-Mo sim card seemed to work fine with my previous 650 for 1.5 years. Could it be a firmware "glitch"? Others have suggested this is unlikely. Could it be an "algorithm error" at Cingular? Could it be a business manuever of Cingular's to give out subsidy numbers that prompts the "Unlock" message, but doesn't really, and you only find out about its continued locked status after inserting another provider's sim card?

My next step is to question my friends about their provider and insert their sim cards into my phone tosee if I have the problematic sim card, or, as I suspect, the phone is still locked.

Next step, breakdown and pay the $16-24 to an online service to get their subsidy unlock code.

Last step, return the phone to Palm and get another phone (IMEI). Hassle!

Any other ideas out there?
    There is a limit on how many times you can try to unlock the phone.

I'd cough up the $15 and use a site like
    http://650unlock.com/
    to unlock the phone.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Try unlocking a SIDEKICK it's a hard thing to do sense T-MOBILE can only do it.. And now they don't do it anymore.. Hope you get yours unlocked.
    Uh, you know there are services outside of T-Mobile that will unlock your phone right?

Already checked and checked the HipTop message board and there is no way to unlock the Sidekick 1 or even 2. If there is any possible way that you know of to unlock it let me no.
    SUCCESS!

Three Cheers for [HTML]http://www.unlockcellular.com/REMOTE-UNLOCK-TREO-650/[/HTML] and the members of this forum in defeating the anti-unlocking regime of Cingular! And, yes, I did spend an additional $15 (using the promo code"Treocentral", a sum I now wish that I had been more comfortable with 12 hours ago

Wazzup with the Cingular "We gave you the CORRECT, ONE, AND ONLY subsidy unlock code for your IMEI" retort after I explained that the code they gave me didn't work?

Well, that's "water under the bridge". Now on to the ROM modification.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Uh, you know there are services outside of T-Mobile that will unlock your phone right?
    If you know where to get it done tell me..