Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    UPDATE:

Called TC Store and they are sending a replacement charger and treo adapter.

Have used the headset in business settings today and it seems to perform excellently. I had to turn down the volume on a couple of calls.

The only negative I can say is that when I pushed 7 to delete a voicemail the keypad tone about deafened me. It seems like usually when I push it with the Bluetooth headset on I do not hear the key tone at all, so Iím not sure what happened there. I will pay attention to it.
    Has anyone compared the 645 with the SE HBH-300. It seems that the HBH-300 was considered the best for outgoing call quality. I was going to order it, but unfortunately it has been discontinued and now I am looking at other options. I have the Nokia 900 and it works decently, but sometimes I have trouble connecting. Also, it is not comfortable on my ear and the earpiece is not directly in front of my ear canel, so the volume does not sound as loud as it could be. It sounds like the 645 has good volume but my main concern is outgoing sound quality. What has been everyone's impression with the 645?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlee6
    It sounds like the 645 has good volume but my main concern is outgoing sound quality. What has been everyone's impression with the 645?
    Just replaced my Sony HBH 660 with the Plantronics 645. The incoming/outgoing sound quality and volume of this Headset is far better than the HBH. I like the eargel, the headset size, and the pocket/charger. Pricey but worth it.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    For those who ordered the 640 from a 3rd party vendor other than Plantronics should be able to get the adapter through Plantronics. A friend of mine bought me a 640 from Cingular and I was given the receipt. I have static on it and called Plantronics and I was told to do a Quick Web Service. It's an online request for replacement. I also asked about the Treo adapter and the lady told me that if I dont get it with my replacement to call them and they will send me one. Filled out the form and 3 days later (now today) received my replacement set and it did infact come with a Treo adapter.
    I have been using the plantronics 645 for a couple days now and have finally packed it up and am ready to return it. the sound quality has been horrific and it only makes a connection with my phone about 60% of the time. everyone has complained of the sound quality and i am very disappointed. i had an hbh 660 before and the only reason i was getting a new one is because the battery life has decreased to ridiculuous levels and the charger connection is not tight and so some nights it doesn't recharge at night--what an annoyance. i replaced it with the jabra jx-10 and have been using it today and will almost certainly keep it.

as for those complaining of the great britain adapters--get over it. i called treocentral when i got mine and they were very apologetic and sent out a replacement one right away--apparently their supplier messed up--not them. they made it right very quickly. moreover, almost everyone is bound to have a charger around that fits a tip that came with it anyway. be glad you purchased from a store that knows how to make sure their customers are satisified!!! no questions asked.
    Part III:

Have used the 645 for a week now and it is superior in every aspect to the Treo headset I was using previously.

Received the package from TCStore and got the adapter to make the european wall charger work in the US. However, the adapter for the treo charger was not there. Called and spoke with the manager at the TCstore and he said they did not carry the part. Called Plantronics and they are sending me one free of charge. (BTW, the plantronics part # is 71330-01).

Grundler, people are sharing their opinions of the headset so that others can know what to expect. The only one using descriptive terms like "horrific" that could be construed as complaining is you...get over it yourself.
  7.    #47  
    I have had mine since the first week it was released. I have not had one problem. Sound quality is excellent and picks up calls quickly. It is weird how some people can have "horrific" quality and others only have high praise for the same device.
    I am using it with a 700p (sprint) and its working fine.
    Does anyone know where I can get just the earpiece for a plantronics 645? I lost my 640 earpiece amd I figured I should upgrade to the 645. TIA
    Well, I will not use the term "horrific" to describe the 645. Instead, I will call it disappointing and borderline unusable.

I just received my Palm Ultralight today, charged it up, and have started testing a bit. While working, I keep my Treo 650 in the inside breast pocket of my jacket. The static I'm getting is really bad. My first call got complaints on the sound quality, and I had a couple of dropouts as well. Placing the phone in front of me on the desk isn't much better.

Full disclosure: I'm on the 14th floor of an office building, with computers, a nearby networking closet (15 yards away), and a wi-fi access point (20 yards away). I'll try it out more at ground level before making a final judgement. But let me know, you Treo 650 bluetoothers out there, is this as good as it gets? I was expecting static if I tried to stray too far from the phone, but trouble with calls from my coat pocket to ear, maybe 12 inches and through a nice wool plaid?

So set the bluetooth new guy straight: is this a dud needing replacing, do I need to look for a better model, or is this truly the state of bluetooth on the Treo 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by m1tch3ll
    So set the bluetooth new guy straight: is this a dud needing replacing, do I need to look for a better model, or is this truly the state of bluetooth on the Treo 650?
    Unfortunately, it's probably impossible to be sure which of the three it is. It's possible that you've got a bum bluetooth chip on your treo. It's possible (but seems unlikely after 2 of them) that it's a bad headset. I would caution against looking for a better model - what you have there is IMO pretty close to top of the line.

If I were you the next step would be to hunt down somebody else with a bluetooth phone and test out your headset with that. If it's clear, then you could start troubleshooting your treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by m1tch3ll
    Well, I will not use the term "horrific" to describe the 645. Instead, I will call it disappointing and borderline unusable.

I just received my Palm Ultralight today, charged it up, and have started testing a bit. While working, I keep my Treo 650 in the inside breast pocket of my jacket. The static I'm getting is really bad. My first call got complaints on the sound quality, and I had a couple of dropouts as well. Placing the phone in front of me on the desk isn't much better.

Full disclosure: I'm on the 14th floor of an office building, with computers, a nearby networking closet (15 yards away), and a wi-fi access point (20 yards away). I'll try it out more at ground level before making a final judgement. But let me know, you Treo 650 bluetoothers out there, is this as good as it gets? I was expecting static if I tried to stray too far from the phone, but trouble with calls from my coat pocket to ear, maybe 12 inches and through a nice wool plaid?

Mitch, the 645 is supposed to be the best BT headset you can get for a Treo. I would go to a big Verizon or Cingular store and test it with their phones. I did that with my Cardo Scala.

Al
    I've used the 645 for a week and I notice some minor static that I did not have with other headsets. However, generally the sound quality is good and I am able to hear the other side. The biggest problem I am having is keeping the piece in the charger -- it keeps pushing itself out because there is no lock or click when you put it in the charging sleeve. This is very poor design and I am surprised they have not corrected it from the 640. The "innovative" pen design is not useable because I can't take it around with me in the charger.

Those are my problems I am having, but overall I do like it. I just think Plantronics was so close to having a great product.
    Sept & T-Lo, thanks to both of you for your comments. My wife left her Treo at work yesterday, but I plan to try it with her phone next, then move on to the phone store. I'm actually hoping I just need a fix on the Treo (or warranty replacement), as I really do like the 645.

Cheers,

m1tch3ll
    ...A bit better with my wife's 650, but not great. I get drops if I have it in my pants pocket or if it is on the opposite side of my body. Does this sound like a combination of a weak BT signal in my particular phone, and perhaps a somewhat bad Palm Ultralight as well? Also, what should the working range be for this connection? I know I can't expect the advertised 30 feet, but what about a 10th of that? My experience is still showing over 12" = degraded performance in the form of static and drops.

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel777
    Does anyone know where I can get just the earpiece for a plantronics 645? I lost my 640 earpiece amd I figured I should upgrade to the 645. TIA
    www.founderstelecom.com but there is a 19.00 minimum order, so it may not work for you.
    I just got what is supposed to be a Discovery 645 from eBay. Is "Discovery 645" supposed to be imprinted on the headset itself because I don't see it on mine...
  18. dhl
    I just got my 645 and have the exact same thoughts. That charger design is simply lame! Why it doesn't click in place is just beyond me. Other than that, the sound is clean for the most part with only occasional static. My range is fine -- about 10 to 20 feet with no problems and my callers say I sound loud and clear.

Question - I'm new to BT headsets so what is standard practice re: turning them on or off? Do I leave it on when I finish a call and put it back into it charger case or is it more typical to turn them off when not in use? What kind of delay are people seeing when answering a call?

Also, mine often vibrates for one pulse when I put it in the charger. Anyone else?

P.S. no Treo tip included but called Plantronics and the woman I spoke to was very helpful, knew exactly what I needed and sent it out at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by jlee6
    I've used the 645 for a week and I notice some minor static that I did not have with other headsets. However, generally the sound quality is good and I am able to hear the other side. The biggest problem I am having is keeping the piece in the charger -- it keeps pushing itself out because there is no lock or click when you put it in the charging sleeve. This is very poor design and I am surprised they have not corrected it from the 640. The "innovative" pen design is not useable because I can't take it around with me in the charger.

Those are my problems I am having, but overall I do like it. I just think Plantronics was so close to having a great product.
    Last edited by dhl; 07/26/2006 at 08:56 PM.
    You might also want to look at the new Plantronics 655:

you can order the 645 ear tips here:

http://headsetplus.com/product461/product_info.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123