Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I don't think Plantronics would replace the SE tip with a Treo 650 tip. I mean, who is the larger market, SE cell phone owners or Treo owners?
    I purchased the 640 about a week ago (using it with the TREO 650). I noticed it works fine when im holding the phone and talking. BUT if leave the phone laying and I walk two steps away it starts to crackle. Does anyone have this problem, and do you know if there is an improvement with the 645 (since it has DSP and/ blue tooth 2.0)? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003
    I purchased the 640 about a week ago (using it with the TREO 650). I noticed it works fine when im holding the phone and talking. BUT if leave the phone laying and I walk two steps away it starts to crackle. Does anyone have this problem, and do you know if there is an improvement with the 645 (since it has DSP and/ blue tooth 2.0)? Thanks!
    Unfortunately, that is a fundemental problem with all BT headsets, as the BT radio on the Treo 650 is very weak.

Some folks will say they have no problems with a particular headset, while others will say it crackles with static like crazy, but I suspect this has more to do with our bodies generating different levels of electromagnetic interference, versus the possibility of the same headset model or Treo being manaufactured differently.

I'm hoping the Treo 700p will have a much stronger BT radio.
    Thanks Headcase...

Since it's my first BT headset, I didnt know what to expect. But by using the 640 on a friends Samsung D600 and being able to walk 30 plus feet away w/o a problem and then not being able to take two steps away with my treo 650.....

I thought maybe the updated 2.0 BT technology with the 645 would bridge the gap. Sounds like what your saying is that it won't... Another TREO 65o issue to add to the list
    I spoke with Plantronics today. Be forewarned that the kits that TreoCentral is selling do NOT include the Treo tip charging adaptor, but Plantronics does in fact offer a version of the 645 kit with the Treo adaptor included.

I have written to TC's head of Customer Service, informing them of the proper Plantronics part number for them to stock (72200-01).
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase
    I think it has to do with them quickly selling out their initial inventory, and instead of saying "out of stock" (like TC), they simply remove the order button.

But I'm just speculating.
    I was correct -- Plantronics customer service said they've been blowing out of the first few lots of inventory, and they want to have their distributors stocked, before selling it directly. This is why they've pulled down the order button on plantronics.com
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    any lag issues with this headset?
    It seems to be on par, or just a bit slower in picking up the call, versus my Jabra JX-10. I'm still comparing the two units, and will post a summary review.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I ordered mine under the impression that, "the Plantronics Discovery 645 wireless headset is an upgrade from the ultra-light and comfortable Discovery 640."

I noticed there was a newer 645 when I finally decided to place the order for a 640. Only after getting it and finding that there were no details in the manual out using multipoint, which was the primary reason for getting this headset.

Also got official word from Plantronics:

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Response (Fermin M) - 05/11/2006 11:13 PM
    Michael,

Unfortunately this unit doesn't have the multipoint technology like the 640 does.

Thank you for choosing Plantronics.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

I will be returning mine and ordering the 640. TreoCentral should update their verbiage to note that this "upgraded" headset does not include multipoint.
    mlambjr,
    My discussion with the Plantronics Technical Sales people indicated the 645 DOES have multipoint pairing... let me know if you actually tested this and it was not the case. I posted a thread about this in the 700w discussion area.

Specifically, she said the only difference is the addition of the DSP technology. Knowing whether or not it includes multipoint is indeed critical!!

I have a 640 BTW and love it... the DSP is a needed feature in that it picks up a lot of ambient noise...

EDIT:::: It's TRUE no Multipoint! The Support person said we should send feedback here to make a product change (650?):
    http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame...feedback.jhtml
    Last edited by cognetic; 05/12/2006 at 01:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I ordered mine a couple of days ago. What is multipoint?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    BT multipoint on your headset means the ability to associate your headset to multiple phones, and not being limited to one point-to-point association with just one phone.

I've just paired my 645 to my wife's phone, and then I was able to turn off that phone, and be able to use the 645 with my phone again, without having to re-pair.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    cognetic, yeah i did post a feedback request to plantronics before posting my disappointment here. the part of my message in red was their answer back to me.

headcase: i was also able to pair it with my Treo 700w and my i870, once i turned off my Treo 700w i was able to tell my i870 to to reconnect with the headset manually without repairing it. but this of course is NOT multipoint.

my main requirement is the ability to use the multipoint feature, so i will need to get the 640.

are there other headsets out there that support multipoint??
    I think the 510 does (great headset btw).
    mlambjr,

The lack of multipoint really disapointed me. Plantronics was known for this feature which distinguished them in the market, so as a product strategy I'm not sure what they were thinking. A colleague of mine with hardware development contacts in several companies indicates this has been a point of discussion with the product engineers and consumer marketing folks.... In his network, they suspect that Plantronics underestimated the demand for multipoint based upon feedback they are getting.... or ... they just simply forgot it (doubt it).

If there is a performance head set out there tailored to the professional and mobile knowledge worker, it is one that has a small footprint / "stealthy", with in-ear-canal placement (acoustics, security, and sound isolating), and definite multipoint!!

At some point cost doesn't matter too much when performance is key... now that all BT headsets are dropping in price, I hope the competition heats up for the performance features.

Back to work!!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I had a warrenty replacement 640 sent to me for excessive background noise. Not only is the replacement better on the background noise, it did have the Treo tip.

Very cool!

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    That's the reason why I'd stay with the 640 for my Treo!

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    So what's the verdict on the 645 when ordering from TC?

- Can I charge it with a Treo charger?

- Any other differences between 645 and Palm Ultralight Wireless headset (besides logo)?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase
    I spoke with Plantronics today. Be forewarned that the kits that TreoCentral is selling do NOT include the Treo tip charging adaptor, but Plantronics does in fact offer a version of the 645 kit with the Treo adaptor included.

I have written to TC's head of Customer Service, informing them of the proper Plantronics part number for them to stock (72200-01).

Why did I not read this post more carefully prior to ordering my 645 via TreoCentral? Oh well.

Opened my 645 today and tested it out. First, I was disappointed that it did not come with a Treo adaptor. Prior to ordering I called Plantronics and they did confirm that the Treo adaptor was now being included with 645s. So I was disappointed that one wasn't included in my particular box. Also, the regular charging cord that came with mine does not fit U.S. outlets. Pretty bizarre. Mine also came fully charged eventhough the instructions state that it should be charged before using. Basically, I think I received one that has been returned. I will call TreoCentral Monday morning and see what they can do about getting me a charger.

I did make a test call with the headset and it does appear to be superior to the Palm Headset, esp. with listening volume. Will post an update next week.
    I got my 645 from TC on thursday and called them because it did not come with a US adapter, but a foreign one for england. The lady went to the back and found out that they are all like that and she is sending me another adapter. unfortunatly the 645 does not come with the Treo adapter if you order it from TC. I happen to have an old nokia charger and got mine charged that way.

Mini Review:
    Incoming Sound Quality:
    Super crystal clear and very loud even had to turn down the volume because it is to loud.

Outgoing Call Quality:
    I haven't had anyone call me with one on but when I talk to others and ask them how it sounds their first response is that they even knew I was on a bluetooth headset.

Connection:
    I might not be thet best at this part since this is my first Treo and my first bluetooth headset but the only problem I have is when I turn the headset off, then back on if I'm going to be away from the Treo for a while I always have issues turning it back on placing calls. Again this may be my problem so if anyone has any ideas on how to pair the 2 items together let me know and ill give it a try.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast