View Poll Results: Is the site which started this thread a fake?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 8.75%
  • No

41 51.25%
  • I don't care ...

20 25.00%
  • What the hell are you talking about?

12 15.00%
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Goats like oats.
    Dr. Seuss?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    You're finally right. But you should at least admit that you were repeatedly wrong. Arrogantly wrong. Annoyingly wrong.
    Ignored in an arrogant way.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Affiliate site. They do not own the content. Others have been to it and checked it out and agree. But who am I to save you from making a fool of yourself. Go ahead. And I do have a sunny disposition. My role here is to seek the truth while having fun. Once you understand that life gets a lot better. If you really haveread posts here in the past you would see the hundreds of times I stated I want to believe in the 700P but as of this moment it has no more credibility then the EasterBunny or Santa Claus.

This is my last post on this topic so you who still believe this fake is authentic Palm then you just go right ahead. We will all have a laugh on it.

Oh, and there really is a bigfoot also isn't there??
    You're wrong. While agree that this doesn't mean the 700p exists, you are so much against it that you are completely ignoring the facts. It's not some website that points to the Palm site. If you got to palm.com; click on software; and search for any piece of software, that is the software.palm.com website. You've been arguing this all day and haven't given up yet. First it started with the "it's a FAKE! Palm's software site is www.palm.com/software not software.palm.com" and you still can't give this up because you don't want to be wrong. Motricity is the software/marketing platform that Palm is using for their software store. Many companies are using this same company to set up a marketing plan. It's not an affliate site, it's Palm's site. Sorry.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    You're wrong. While agree that this doesn't mean the 700p exists, you are so much against it that you are completely ignoring the facts. It's not some website that points to the Palm site. If you got to palm.com; click on software; and search for any piece of software, that is the software.palm.com website. You've been arguing this all day and haven't given up yet. First it started with the "it's a FAKE! Palm's software site is www.palm.com/software not software.palm.com" and you still can't give this up because you don't want to be wrong. Motricity is the software/marketing platform that Palm is using for their software store. Many companies are using this same company to set up a marketing plan. It's not an affliate site, it's Palm's site. Sorry.
    In case you missed it...
    Ok, that was my very last comment on that so please do not tryto bait me into more dialogue unless you arejust trying to get the moderators to come in here and close the thread. Your choice.
    Go ahead, close the tread, I dare ya. The reason for the original post is gone anyway. Double dare!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    How about we just talk about Emma.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Actually I was typing my response as he was posting his response, so I did miss it until after I posted. I guess we'll all just have to agree to disagree. Nobody is gonna convince anyone of anything here. We'll just have to wait those 2 weeks and see what happens.

And now:

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    How about we just talk about Emma.
    Only 713 Days left munk.
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
    Ok, one last comment. Look at the site carefully. Go to the left sidebar buttons and fish around and see if it does not reference orders there being placed with a company called Software Connection. Did you miss that OBVIOUS point? Several people in the thread have done just that and agree you are on a site which (although Palm may own anything Palm.com) is an affiliate site which is a diffferent company. If you order from them it will be shippd from and billed by a company called Software Connection. Support and Customer Service are provided by SoftwareConnection. Privacy and Terms of Use are by Software Connection. The "content" is not Palm content but a sub of some sort.
    Gharrod, I have looked at the site, and I don't see any references to a company called Software Connection. Yes, Palm seems to have given its software-selling storefront the moniker "Software Connection". But it's all Palm content, from within the palm.com domain. For instance, if you hover over the "submit a customer service request" link, you can see that the destination email address is swcsupport@palm.com. Contrary to your statement above, the "Privacy Policy" link at the bottom of software.palm.com refers only to Palm, not another company.

It's true that this electronic storefront is "powered by Motricity", as it proudly proclaims near the top of the page, but there is nothing wrong or suspicious about that. I've actually heard of Motricity because it's local to me, headquartered in Durham, NC a couple of miles from where I work. They've been around for a number of years (though the name changed at least once) and I know they're a legitimate company. Motricity's "Fuel" platform is used to run Palm's Software Connection storefront, but Motricity doesn't own the store itself. See http://motricity.com/pdf/success/ss_palm.pdf for Motricity's description of their involvement with Palm. There's not even anything Palm-specific about Motricity; their Fuel platorm is also used to run Cingular's online storefront (see http://motricity.com/pdf/success/ss_cingular.pdf). It's the online equivalent of going to the supermarket and noticing that they use IBM or NCR cash registers -- that doesn't mean that IBM or NCR are running the store!
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey
    Gharrod, I have looked at the site, and I don't see any references to a company called Software Connection. Yes, Palm seems to have given its software-selling storefront the moniker "Software Connection". But it's all Palm content, from within the palm.com domain. For instance, if you hover over the "submit a customer service request" link, you can see that the destination email address is swcsupport@palm.com. Contrary to your statement above, the "Privacy Policy" link at the bottom of software.palm.com refers only to Palm, not another company.

It's true that this electronic storefront is "powered by Motricity", as it proudly proclaims near the top of the page, but there is nothing wrong or suspicious about that. I've actually heard of Motricity because it's local to me, headquartered in Durham, NC a couple of miles from where I work. They've been around for a number of years (though the name changed at least once) and I know they're a legitimate company. Motricity's "Fuel" platform is used to run Palm's Software Connection storefront, but Motricity doesn't own the store itself. See http://motricity.com/pdf/success/ss_palm.pdf for Motricity's description of their involvement with Palm. There's not even anything Palm-specific about Motricity; their Fuel platorm is also used to run Cingular's online storefront (see http://motricity.com/pdf/success/ss_cingular.pdf). It's the online equivalent of going to the supermarket and noticing that they use IBM or NCR cash registers -- that doesn't mean that IBM or NCR are running the store!
    Yes, exactly.

And now:

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey
    It's the online equivalent of going to the supermarket and noticing that they use IBM or NCR cash registers -- that doesn't mean that IBM or NCR are running the store!

Are you saying that IBM doesn't run Chuck-E-Cheese?
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
    Ok, one last comment. Look at the site carefully. Go to the left sidebar buttons and fish around and see if it does not reference orders there being placed with a company called Software Connection. Did you miss that OBVIOUS point? Several people in the thread have done just that and agree you are on a site which (although Palm may own anything Palm.com) is an affiliate site which is a diffferent company. If you order from them it will be shippd from and billed by a company called Software Connection. Support and Customer Service are provided by SoftwareConnection. Privacy and Terms of Use are by Software Connection. The "content" is not Palm content but a sub of some sort.

Ooopppsss. Ok, that was my very last comment on that so please do not tryto bait me into more dialogue unless you arejust trying to get the moderators to come in here and close the thread. Your choice.
    Not to support others or anything but, it is palm site for average user as well.
    I am not going into details of technical info or domain name info etc. But if I am an average user going to palm site and there is a software link, I will think it is Palm software site. It doesnt matter if it linked to (which it is not) to any other third party company. And among all of third party Palm software vendor sites, if only that site which is linked to Palm site is the one showing 700p under their inventory, I think this is more valid than anything else.
    And personally, if anyone still thinks Treo700P is a fluke, you are living in fantacy land.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

This is my last post on this topic so you who still believe this fake is authentic Palm then you just go right ahead. We will all have a laugh on it.

Don't worry folks...Gharrod will have at least one more comment on this. He can't stay away. Unless of course in this case he has admitted to himself that he has been proven to be wrong..yet again
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
  13.    #173  
    I was stupefied that no one actually mentioned going to the Motricity site itself (which is used for software.palm.com) until post #168!! Palm isn't going to develop its own commerce / delivery engine for PalmOS software sales; that's not their business.

As for "software.palm.com": Palm owns the palm.com domain name. So if it's software.palm.com, or ebooks.palm.com, web.palm.com, or store.palm.com, it's still Palm. They can theoretically have someone else develop / host / manage a subdomain such as software.palm.com; but, if I were Palm, I'd still want to retain control / oversight of the content, and make sure it's consistent with the rest of their web presence.

When thinking about subdomains, look at Yahoo: they have travel.yahoo,com, shopping.yahoo.com, weather.yahoo.com, mail.yahoo.com, groups.yahoo.com ... you get the picture. They "can" (and do) have third parties provide content, etc. for their subdomains ... but you still treat each subdomain as a Yahoo site. And that's how Yahoo wants you to see it as well. And: mail.yahoo.com meant to be easier to remember and type than, say, yahoo.com/us/mail.

BTW: I don't work for Palm, never have. I did try to kill JFK though, on that fateful day, but someone else beat me to it.
    Palm Personal --> Palm Vx --> Tungsten T --> waiting to get first Treo P (get on with it, Palm!)
    WOW, go to bed early and see what I miss!

My take on this:

A site (that should know better) posted a reference to a Treo 700P.

The site later removed the reference.

Hmmm . . .. . . .

1. Could be a mistake that means nothing. (No 700P)
    2. Could be a mistake that means something. (700P coming soon)
    3. Could be a Palm marketing move. (700P coming soon)
    4. Could be a Palm marketing move to keep us thinking there will be a 700P when there really won't be one. (No 700P)

I believe in #2.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    WOW, go to bed early and see what I miss!

My take on this:

A site (that should know better) posted a reference to a Treo 700P.

The site later removed the reference.

Hmmm . . .. . . .

1. Could be a mistake that means nothing. (No 700P)
    2. Could be a mistake that means something. (700P coming soon)
    3. Could be a Palm marketing move. (700P coming soon)
    4. Could be a Palm marketing move to keep us thinking there will be a 700P when there really won't be one. (No 700P)

I believe in #2.

Cheers, Perry.
    Usually I don't post this late or this early; sitting on an epidural at the hospital. Trying to be patient waiting for the Treo 700P.
    There will be a release of the 700P and soon. Hope they release the 700P first! Getting overtime to pay for my phone.
    The next 12 days will not pass soon enough and then the next 2-3 wks after that will not pass soon enough. These threads have really grown and unfortunately we are knit picking. Come the 15th Perry can come out of the PPR and take a bow! (and accepting apologies graciously) We sure need a spell checker for Treo Central

Have a Great Day and let Palm release some information!
    Last edited by Gas Man; 05/03/2006 at 05:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    Usually I don't post this late or this early; sitting on an epidural at the hospital. Trying to be patient waiting for the Treo 700P.
    There will be a release of the 700P and soon. Hope they release the 700P first! Getting overtime to pay for my phone.
    The next 12 days will not pass soon enough and then the next 2-3 wks after that will not pass soon enough. These threads have really grown and unfortunately we are knit picking. Come the 15th Perry can come out of the PPR and take a bow! (and accepting apologies graciously) We sure need a spell checker for Treo Central

Have a Great Day and let Palm release some information!

Hey Morningstar!!

Hope everthing is ok.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by xout
    Lo and behold, what do I find when I decided to perform a Google search of "700p" on the palm.com domain?

Advanced Search page for Palm Software Connection Check the "Device Compatibility" drop-down list.

Here's one item (Davis' Drug Guide) that's now listed as compatible with the "Palm Treo 700p".

And: "Palm Treo 700p" is also listed under "Select Browse options..."

Your thoughts ...
    I just did a search and got nothing. Checked that Drug Guide and it doesn't say it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdldy
    I just did a search and got nothing. Checked that Drug Guide and it doesn't say it either.
    Hi luvdldy!

The references were removed later that morning by the Web site. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    So I stop hitting the refresh button on this thread after the 1,000,000th click last night figuring that the thread is finally dead. What a mistake.

After a dozen or so additional posts since mine last night I think we've really moved this debate along...

We now know with all certainty that...

A) There might be a 700p
    B) There might not be 700p
    C) People know how domain names work
    D) People do not know how domain names work
    E) Some people have sunny dispositions
    F) Some people have awesome mustang convertibles
    G) IBM may or may not run Chuck E. Cheese
    H) Treo Central needs a spell checker for the reply editor

You see...this is why I've been a devoted Treo Central lurker for 2.5 years...its amazing how much information you can learn in just a few short hours!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    So I stop hitting the refresh button on this thread after the 1,000,000th click last night figuring that the thread is finally dead. What a mistake.

After a dozen or so additional posts since mine last night I think we've really moved this debate along...

We now know with all certainty that...

A) There might be a 700p
    B) There might not be 700p
    C) People know how domain names work
    D) People do not know how domain names work
    E) Some people have sunny dispositions
    F) Some people have awesome mustang convertibles
    G) IBM may or may not run Chuck E. Cheese
    H) Treo Central needs a spell checker for the reply editor

You see...this is why I've been a devoted Treo Central lurker for 2.5 years...its amazing how much information you can learn in just a few short hours!
    You're welcome.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast