View Poll Results: Is the site which started this thread a fake?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 8.75%
  • No

41 51.25%
  • I don't care ...

20 25.00%
  • What the hell are you talking about?

12 15.00%
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Why not sub-dermal implants? This flip phone stuff is soooo 20th century...
    Why not just go all the way with telepathy? Maybe THAT'S Hawkins mysterious third business venture.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    The plot thickens!

You betcha, it is real and is NOT fake. But does it mean anything really? Not really...
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000
    You are at a Palm associated/authorized/sub/related site. Try this:

1. Go to www.palm.com
    2. Click on the Software tab at the top.
    3. On the left hand side, point to software connection, then click on the "Browse categories" menu item.
    4. Boom! You're now at software.palm.com (powered by motricity).
    Just a link to a reseller. No validity to anything on the site. It is not Palm owned or operated. End of story.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Why not just go all the way with telepathy? Maybe THAT'S Hawkins mysterious third business venture.

Then just telepath us the darn PDA, oh ya, you guys call it a phone.
    Mark this moment. One Thousand Posts for me!! Gifts are welcome...actually required...
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Just a link to a reseller. No validity to anything on the site. It is not Palm owned or operated. End of story.

Well, if it is a valid reseller -- they have still pre-populated their web site with those 4 little alpha/numeric characters. . . . .
    Mark this moment. One Thousand Posts for me!! Gifts are welcome...actually required...
    Congratulations!

Uh, by the way, your check's in the mail....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    It is not a "fake". It might be produced by someone who is an affiliate of Palm, but the only way that a third party would have access to palm.com (and the subdomain software.palm.com) would be by explicit agreement with Palm.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Palm 700P listing was part of a premature update, or a mistaken entry from some tech docs that weren't supposed to be released yet, or an out and out mistake. But this site is not a hoax.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    After reading the posts on this page, I'm confused. I got some questions for gharrod and others who believed the site is fake.

1. Can I buy myself a url like http://xyz.google.com and use it to promote something similar to google?

2. In computer lingo, software is a subdomain of palm.com. I would understand it was fake if the url is http://software.palm.com.biz. Wouldn't that be considered domain hijacking?

3. I can't imagine Palm sitting still watching their site being hijack like this.
    Well, if it is a valid reseller -- they have still pre-populated their web site with those 4 little alpha/numeric characters. . . . .
    And they have just had a couple of their sales geeks reading the Treo forums and believe there is such a phone on the horizon so they snuck that in there and then came in here and pointed it out to us to drive peopleto their website and hopefully get some business. It is a distant horizon young Goat herder Perry. One where the light of day waits for the sun to come peaking over the ALPS.

I am kinda liking this Zen bit. lol...
    Telepathy will not be a good business plan.... Verizon, and to some extent the other carriers, will not let them include anything that will allow the user to by-pass their inflated data-plan pricing. You think getting WiFi on a treo was hard to get by the carriers?!?!

Perry will see his 700P, his voices are correct!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    After reading the posts on this page, I'm confused. I got some questions for gharrod and others who believed the site is fake.

1. Can I buy myself a url like http://xyz.google.com and use it to promote something similar to google?

2. In computer lingo, software is a subdomain of palm.com. I would understand it was fake if the url is http://software.palm.com.biz. Wouldn't that be considered domain hijacking?

3. I can't imagine Palm sitting still watching their site being hijack like this.
    I think they are a Palm "affiliate" who has a relationship with Palm but is not owned by Palm and probably gives Palm a small percentage for being linked to their site.
    Sorry, but it bears repeating:

Yes, the subdomain software.palm.com is Palm-owned. Which is not to say that there can't be mistakes within the site. Palm.com is a large site with -- likely -- a large team managing the content, updates, keeping it running, building out new areas, etc. Mistakes get made.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    <REMOVED>

I am withholding congratulations until ronbo confirms!!
    I think they are a Palm "affiliate" who has a relationship with Palm but is not owned by Palm and probably gives Palm a small percentage for being linked to their site.
    Or, more likely, this company is contracted by Palm to run this area of their website.

Gharrod, what you're missing here is that software.palm.com is a part of palm.com. No two ways about it. I don't know what the business relationship is between Motricity and Palm, but whatever the case, this site is a sub-section of Palm.com.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmattyh
    Sorry, but it bears repeating:

Yes, the subdomain software.palm.com is Palm-owned. Which is not to say that there can't be mistakes within the site. Palm.com is a large site with -- likely -- a large team managing the content, updates, keeping it running, building out new areas, etc. Mistakes get made.
    It might be a Palm site, it might be an affiliate, either way the 700P reference is now gone, I wonder how long it was up before soemone noticed it in the list. Could it have been there when the 700P was in testing, before they pulled the product due to lack of interest and they just did not remove the 700P from that list?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Look for MY SWC ACCOUNT near the top middle left and click on it -- you are not at a Palm site. . . . . .

DRAT!
    I think what he is saying is that from the SWC site, depending on what you click or search for, you get taken to the legit palm site. That does appear to be the case at times.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    If they are an affiliate, they should hear from Palm very soon.

Happy 1000
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Telepathy will not be a good business plan.... Verizon, and to some extent the other carriers, will not let them include anything that will allow the user to by-pass their inflated data-plan pricing. You think getting WiFi on a treo was hard to get by the carriers?!?!
    Good point...but Verizon et al could come up with an "Unlimited Thought" plan, couldn't they?

I wonder how much they'd charge for something like that? Imagine...all the thinking you can do for one low monthly price?!
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast