1.    #1  
    I just received a G4850M from TreoCentral. However, when I try to install TomTom that came with the cradle, I get error messages, such as Palm Installer Library Instaide.dll missing. Then when I click OK to continue with installing Maps, it tells me to insert CD2 for Western US, and doesn't do anything. I even tried installing the application first, and it told me that there weren't any programs on the CD that ran on my device.

Help

John
    Did you have a handspring treo previously? I had this problem with the latest Tomtom update. Their solution:

"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.
    May we ask you to re install the Palm software to your computer (on C, then the TT5 software will install without problem).
    With best regards,
    The TomTom Customer Support Team
    Customer 03/03/2006 04:54 PM
    I am having difficulty updating to version 5.201. I keep getting the error "cannot find instaide.dll". This may be due to the fact that my Treo files are located in the Handspring subdirectory rather than a Palm subdirectory. I upgrade to the Treo 650 from a Treo 300 so Palm did not rename or move the install file location. How can I complete updating to the current version of Navigaory 5?"

Also, you should review this sticky.
  3.    #3  
    No handspring treo involved. First time install.
    OK. But their support would probably be the same. Did you try the method in the sticky?
  5.    #5  
    I can't get either the application or the maps to install. Application says there are no programs on the CD for my device.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhboyd
    I can't get either the application or the maps to install. Application says there are no programs on the CD for my device.
    ? Not sure what application and programs you are talking about in 2nd sentence. The install app? Tomtom install is complicated at best. Many old posts about it. I haven't reinstalled the Palm software as Tomtom suggested because because the update isn't worth the effort. Other's have reported that doing so worked for them.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    ? Not sure what application and programs you are talking about in 2nd sentence. The install app? Tomtom install is complicated at best. Many old posts about it. I haven't reinstalled the Palm software as Tomtom suggested because because the update isn't worth the effort. Other's have reported that doing so worked for them.
    The TomTom box says it is Navigator 5. It includes 1 CD for installation of TomTom program, and 8 CD's for USA maps. Instructions call for installation of the maps first. I can get through CD1, selecting California map to install. Install instructs me to insert CD 8. When I select installing maps to SD card, it tells me no device is connected. I decided to try installing to a folder on my hard disk, but can't get the install restarted.

I'll search for threads on Installation of TomTom

John
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhboyd
    I'll search for threads on Installation of TomTom
    You'll probably find my original rant from nearly a year ago. As I recall, the Nav5 program is installed first and then the maps are installed from the various CDs. From your original post, it sounds like the tomtom install program cannot find the plam sync files on your PC. That's why reinstalling the palm program from cd might help. Keep at it, it's worth it. Also, you might want to give some thought to what map regions you want to install. It's best to have a regional map if you travel across statelines often.
    Yep...as mentioned above...I would reinstall the palm desktop and then just follow the instructions on the following thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...tomtom+install
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  10.    #10  
    Finally found an article in TT's data base about the "device not supported" message. It linked to a setup file to be downloaded and run in place of the setup.exe on the CD. I will give that a try.
  11.    #11  
    Well, the palm installer from TomTom.com crashed also. So, will keep futzing around trying the various suggestions. I will try re-installing the palm desktop again to see if that helps.
    It took me 7 hours to figure out but the solution I found is here, post 3 in the following thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=102991