1.    #1  
    Hello,

I recently upgraded to 4.8 on my Verizon 650 and have noticed that inbox synchronization is considerably slower than it was before. With the earlier version, I could almost guarantee that I'd see messages on my handheld first - usually by several seconds earlier, at least.

Now it appears that handheld inbox sync is running at least several minutes behind my Outlook inbox. A colleage is also experiencing the same problem, though he's using Sprint.

Any clue on what's happened and how I can solve this?

Thanks
    Seth
    Same happened here. I have a Cingular & Verizon 650 & a Verizon 700W all running 4.8 (and 4.8 server) and all were MUCH slower to sync since the update.

I just tried this morning and things are quicker on the Cingular 650. Maybe the work Good did over the weekend addressed the issue.
    Checked with my Verizon folks and they are not getting updates to the handheld (650 & 700) until new messages come in. I am told this is due to the way GoodLink Server 4.8 prioritizes Verizon data traffic to avoid missed voice calls. If you need more info, call GoodLink support.
  4.    #4  
    Interesting; I was under the impression that GoodLink was installed on our corporate server and had nothing to do with Verizon, other than using the network to deliver messages.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Seth
    You are correct that GoodLink is on your corporate server. I too thought once it was in "the cloud" that it was just brought to you by the Internet. Apparently they partner with the carriers to handle the data traffic. I seem to recall that when GoodLink 4.0 (or was it 4.5?) switched from a hidden SMS trigger to start data flow to an IP push, Verizon didn't go along with the switch right away. In fact, I don't know if they ever switched.

If I have any info in error, I'm sure GoodGuy would be able to set the record straight.
    Capt, you are correct regarding SMS and Verizon. Verizon has switched to the IP push.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Capt, you are correct regarding SMS and Verizon. Verizon has switched to the IP push.
    So what exactly does this mean, from a technical perspective?

I too have noticed that Goodlink is sometimes "behind", I didn't equate it to the 4.8 upgrade but now that I think about it that's probably about right. Sometimes I'll send an email from Goodlink and suddenly 5 emails will come flooding in to the inbox. If I look at the timestamps it will indicate that I should have received them 5, 10, sometimes 15 minutes prior.

My particular phone (Treo 650) is on Sprint, although we also have Treos on Verizon.

Is this expected? Any insight is appreciated.

-jd
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    So what exactly does this mean, from a technical perspective?

I too have noticed that Goodlink is sometimes "behind", I didn't equate it to the 4.8 upgrade but now that I think about it that's probably about right. Sometimes I'll send an email from Goodlink and suddenly 5 emails will come flooding in to the inbox. If I look at the timestamps it will indicate that I should have received them 5, 10, sometimes 15 minutes prior.

My particular phone (Treo 650) is on Sprint, although we also have Treos on Verizon.

Is this expected? Any insight is appreciated.

-jd
    Ok, here's a perfect example. I'm doing this in realtime and typing it up as it happens:
    I received three emails, one at 11:16am EDT, another 11:19am EDT, and a third at 11:24am EDT. It's currently 11:25am EDT. The Treo 650 (Goodlink 4.8.1) does not currently show any of the three messages in my Inbox.

I then sent an email from Goodlink to myself, and suddenly all four (the three that weren't there, and the 1 message I just sent to myself) messages appeared.

Although I do make somewhat-heavy utilization of offline mode, I can assure you I was in "online" mode the entire time.

The more I think about it, the more I realize this probably was related to the Goodlink 4.8 upgrade.

Any thoughts, GoodGuy?

-jd
    Here is the information I received:

Controlled Sync VZW

Controlled Sync on Verizon Wireless holds on to, or batches, low priority sync events until one of two things happens:

1) A high-priority sync event occurs or
    2) A 15-minute timer expires.

When either of these two things happens, all batched “low priority sync events” will be synchronized. This controlled behavior happens on both the server and the client.

“Low-priority events” are the following: mark read, move mail, delete mail and new items in the Sent Items folder (server only).

All other events are “high-priority events.”
    The reason for this is the VZW maintains the data connection open longer than Sprint and Cingular. This causes the dreaded 'straight to voicemail' calls that occur.
  10.    #10  
    Fascinating. Understand completely why this was done. So, if I wasn't worried about the "straight-to-voicemail" calls, is there any way to either reduce the timer's current 15 minute setting or downgrade to 4.7?

Thanks
    Seth
    My support tech was kind enough to send me the same info GoodGuy posted and to answer the question about changing the sync in 4.8:

Q: Can the customer or Verizon turn controlled sync ON or OFF?
    A: There is no customizable feature for a user or Verizon to turn this feature on or off.

I checked with people on our server running 4.8 but with a lower client (4.0, 4.5, & 4.7) and they say there was no change to their delivery after the server update.
    Here is the information I received:

The reason for this is the VZW maintains the data connection open longer than Sprint and Cingular. This causes the dreaded 'straight to voicemail' calls that occur.
    Two questions:
    1. Any ideas why I would be seeing this same behavior with Sprint? (Treo 650 on Sprint)
    2. Will this behavior be modified for EVDO-capable devices? I am planning on moving to Treo 700p on Verizon (with EVDO), and was planning this primarily to eliminate the direct-to-voicemail "problem" since EVDO lets voice interrupt data.

Thanks!

-jd
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    1. Any ideas why I would be seeing this same behavior with Sprint? (Treo 650 on Sprint)
    Come to think of it, this isn't the behavior I'm seeing; as I outlined above, I had new messages ("high priority message") waiting for me in my Inbox.

-jd
    jd, tough to say. Is anyone else in your organization experiencing the same thing with a Sprint device? Do you have any other data intensive applications running?
    jd, tough to say. Is anyone else in your organization experiencing the same thing with a Sprint device? Do you have any other data intensive applications running?
    I wouldn't know, I'm always on the road. Let me ask around.

It seems that sending a message to myself (or maybe simply the action of sending a message period) triggers a flood of 2, 3, 4 messages (depending on how many are backed up) but if I wait patiently they WILL come to the handheld even with no action.

We have a 70/30 split of Verizon/Sprint so I'll try to ask one of my Sprint cohorts.

-jd
    Do you have any other data intensive applications running?
    Oh, I forgot to address this: On the Treo, or the Goodlink Server?

re: the Treo, The Treo runs nothing except Goodink (and gets used as a phone now and again ).
    re: the Goodlink Server, that server runs nothing except Goodlink Server.

-jd
    On thre Treo was what I was looking for.