1.    #1  
    I am thinking about purchasing the Magellan GPS companion when it comes out, but the marcosoft quo vadis software that is bundled with it does not seem to have turn by turn driving directions. Are there any palm os applications that provide these type of directions that would work with the GPS unit? If so, how much do they cost?
    GPS is the coolest thing since the invention of the magnetic compass. Imagine zipping around the land staring at a square slab in your hand which had markings for the cardinal points and the constellations and a pointing needle was a lodestone spoon-shaped device, with a handle that would always point south. You were so pleased to know where you were, where you were going and had no fear whatsoever of getting lost. While staring at the "magic" needle you were completly lost in your navigational prowness until.. SMACK! right into a tree. You loadstone cracked and you were lost! This was the case of the first portable GPS system... a compass invented by some smart chinese dude 2000 years ago.

I did this with my snappy Magellan/Visor combo! What a moron! Fortunattly, nothing was hurt except for my pride. My faithful companion Trekker (my lab) looked at me like I was some kind of nut. After all he always knows where he is! Good thing I was not staring at the green screen while on the DC Beltway!

Try this guys site:
    It has some good information on GPS and the Palm with links to a lot of software.
    http://celia.mehaffey.com/dale/pilotgps.htm

will
    Originally posted by Grant
    Are there any palm os applications that provide these type of directions that would work with the GPS unit? If so, how much do they cost?

Due to the limits of the Palms (and Visors) I would be really surprised to see one with "real time" route planning and turn by turn directions without some kind of cd-rom or pc connection.

The next best thing to that would be the GEODE when GeoView Web is available (soon). You would have to do all your route planning ahead of time (not real-time on the Visor), create a "pack" from the website, with all your street level/topo maps, trails (i.e. routes) and Points of Interest for the trip, then download it, then hot sync that to the Visor with Geode. The pack would contain a pre-made "trail" from point A to point B and contain street level maps.
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams