1.    #1  
    Switched pc TO WINDOWS XP PRO and now everytime I try to use my palm desktop software I get and error message that Palm desktop has an error and needs to close. I am using Palm Treo 650 Sprint PCS. I have been trying to install the Palm desktop software for 2 1/2 weeks now. Sprint has no clue what the problem is...........................The software loads and then when you open the palm desk top you instantly get the Windows error that it needs to close. I have tried to contact Palm Directly and CANNOT find any phone numbers for them. Help Ready to drop the palm desktop software in the toilet...........
    Which Palm desktop are you trying to load? The one from the Sprint CD? Have you tried to download the one from Palm's website? I know that the one from Palm's website does not have the Media conduit, but if you can get that one loaded then you can work from there. Also, what does the error message says? Just that Palm desktop has an error and needs to close?

You say "switched pc to Windows XP Pro". Did you upgrade from another OS? Is this a clean installation of XP Pro?

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to find out what is going on.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  3.    #3  
    I have tried both desktops, the one from the CD and the one from the website. It was a clean installation of XP Pro. The error message does not say much. It is one of those Microsoft window's ones that you get and it ask you if you want to report your error, etc.......SEriously I and sprint have tried everything we can think of for the last 2 weeks to get this to work, we have installed from cd then tried to install web one over it and vice a versa,,,,,,,,I have literaly uninstalled and re-installed the desk top for a minimum of 1 time a day for two weeks and getting very very frustrated. It acts to me like it is a driver issue, but who knows and I can not get intouch with palm directly. Sprint even tried to find a contact # for them no such luck
    Any help will be appreciated.
    mrswizwa
    Sometimes you can get a clue by hitting the "more info" link in the error box. It usually references a file/program that can head you in a direction as far as the potential conflict which caused the error.

From the sound of it you haven't even beem able to complete the software installation. I had a problem like this once with different software which was the result of corrupted system files. You say it was a clean install of XP Pro. Which version? Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2?

If you can, email me direct as I have a few more questions.

netfreedom@wi.rr.com
    Is WinXP up to date with updates? SP2? Are you using an administrator account? Is this a 64-bit version of Windows? Make sure you have all updates to Windows. Uninstall Palm software. Delete Palm folder in Program Files. Run regedit and search for any reg entry with Palm and delete it. Restart computer.
    1. Quit hotsync manager, then run Palm desktop.

2. run msconfig, go to startup tab, and disable all and restart WinXP.
    If WinXP and palm desktop started up correctly, congratulations, 1 or some conflicting apps are causing the crash. Try to disable/enable 1 by 1 to find out the conflict apps.
    If WinXP started correctly, but, your palm desktop crashes, it will be probably a hardware and OS issue. You may need to reinstall WinXP and only install Palm Desktop.
    I had the same problem a while back when I reformatted my computer. I just went ahead and reformatted again since set up only took 45 minutes.

Make sure you are a local administrator on the PC. Is the PC a part of a domain?

Bryan
    bryandyal@cox.net
  8.    #8  
    I sent an email detailing all the particulars to your direct email. Thanks for helping.
    mrswizwa

Quote Originally Posted by netfreedom
    Sometimes you can get a clue by hitting the "more info" link in the error box. It usually references a file/program that can head you in a direction as far as the potential conflict which caused the error.

From the sound of it you haven't even beem able to complete the software installation. I had a problem like this once with different software which was the result of corrupted system files. You say it was a clean install of XP Pro. Which version? Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2?

If you can, email me direct as I have a few more questions.

netfreedom@wi.rr.com
  9.    #9  
    Tried the regedit and it did not work.
    Using Windows XP PRO SP2, Window all current on updated etc.............

Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Is WinXP up to date with updates? SP2? Are you using an administrator account? Is this a 64-bit version of Windows? Make sure you have all updates to Windows. Uninstall Palm software. Delete Palm folder in Program Files. Run regedit and search for any reg entry with Palm and delete it. Restart computer.