1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I have a Cingular Treo 650, firmware v1.17-CNG. I know there's a hack out there, which enables manual network selection. I'd just like to know when I am roaming and when I'm not. It's weird. Sometimes I hit the Details button in the Call Log and it will show "Yes" under Roaming. Is there an application I can install to see which network, or maybe even which tower, I am on? I'd also love to get that manual network selection hack. I understand that's it's only for certain firmware versions, if my memory servers me correctly. Is that right?

Thanks for any help!!!
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    You can see what network you're on from the main phone screen. I don't know of a way to see the tower ID.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    You can see what network you're on from the main phone screen. I don't know of a way to see the tower ID.
    It always says Cingular. Never anything else. Even when it says later that I was roaming.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    The only thing this could be, and I now this was the case when I worked for Cingular back in November of last year, that they were still integrating the AT&T network with the Cingular network. So the phone hardware and the SIM card both reads that you are roaming on a different network. I would recommend if you haven't already these three things, run the latest firmware for your 650, get a new SIM card from your local Cingular store, also call Cingular and make sure you are not being charged, you shouldn't be, but its always good to double check. If you are still having issues, I am at a loss...... I would image though one of those three things should help you. Good Luck
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    If you are roaming, it will show a different provider on the phone screen. I've seen that. As for AT&T vs, Cingular, as a former AT&T customer (and still on a "blue" plan), I get either AT&T Wireless or Cingular showing, depending on which tower I hit.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by iramike
    The only thing this could be, and I now this was the case when I worked for Cingular back in November of last year, that they were still integrating the AT&T network with the Cingular network. So the phone hardware and the SIM card both reads that you are roaming on a different network. I would recommend if you haven't already these three things, run the latest firmware for your 650, get a new SIM card from your local Cingular store, also call Cingular and make sure you are not being charged, you shouldn't be, but its always good to double check. If you are still having issues, I am at a loss...... I would image though one of those three things should help you. Good Luck
    Hey, thanks for your responses. Well, actually, I'm not being charged, nor am I having any other problems with this. I was just curious as to why it was showing up like that. I do have the latest firmware for the 650 and I have a 64K SIM, which is working flawlessly.

Having said that, is there an app. I can install that'll show me the network/tower I'm on? For example, it's 310-380 for Cingular Blue (former AT&T Wireless) and 310-170 for Cingular Orange (the network that was sold to T-Mobile) in California. I am a Cingular Orange customer, by the way.