Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    This may be old news but …

Where I live I don’t have cell coverage. After reading up a little bit on the reverse DUN I decided to give it a run. I bought a Belkin F8T030 Bluetooth Access Point with USB Print Server for $120.

I set it up on my home network – and after a bit of messing with the settings on the Treo 650 it is working great. It has a rage of 100 meters – 300+ feet – so I am not limited to a particular room, etc.

I have tested the following programs and all are working:
    GoodLink
    Chatter Email
    Versa Mail
    Blazer

It is much faster then the GPRS cellular connection. I can see an application for one that does not have cell coverage or chooses not pay for unlimited data.
    while this subject has been discussed, this is a nice addition (the access point).

However, I have tried many times to get BT going with my PC's internet connection and I just can't seem to make it happen. I have tried the PC's drivers, the dongle's drivers and Softick PPP. I just could not seem to get a net connection. Then I read somewhere that some carriers have the proxy's locked in Blazer. I am on Sprint - does anyone know if this is true?
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    I'm confused. Are you saying you have a bluetooth range of 300 feet?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Yes

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20

It operates at up to 723 Kbps within a 100-meter range and supports up to seven users simultaneously.
    Well, sure, 100 meters is the spec'ed range of Bluetooth class 1 devices. I have a Bluetooth class 1 dongle for my PC, and it works fine within a large room ... I might be able to stand 25 feet away. But as soon as I go into another room, the range from the device is only about 10 feet.

So what's the real-world range of your Bluetooth Access Point, through walls, etc.?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I have not stepped it off. I have been 3 rooms away from the router and it works.
    My USB dongle attached to a 6' extension cable on the back of my Linux box gives me all over the yard and my fairly small rectanular house. I can stream music all over the property, except directly behind my garage. So the signal doesn't quite make it through two walls, brick house, and garage materials. Everywhere else is good.

I almost always switch to my BT network at home. I wish Profiles could automatically do it.
    Interesting ... note that jbcross, a GSM user, reports good Bluetooth range while I, a CDMA (Sprint) user, report bad range. This is consistent with the observations in this thread, but I had never heard about this issue before:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=113430

Are there any other known hardware (dis)advantages of GSM 650s vs. CDMA 650s, which aren't directly related to the type of carrier?

Now I'm tempted to try turning off my CDMA radio and see if it makes a difference in my Bluetooth range.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    For what it is worth - I also have a Sprint 650 that no longer has a service plan with Sprint. I set it up the same way as my gsm model and have found that my range is about the same as the gsm. It does start the radio when connecting to BT. I am able to use blazer and chatter in the same way as the other unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63
    Interesting ... note that jbcross, a GSM user, reports good Bluetooth range while I, a CDMA (Sprint) user, report bad range. This is consistent with the observations in this thread, but I had never heard about this issue before:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=113430

Are there any other known hardware (dis)advantages of GSM 650s vs. CDMA 650s, which aren't directly related to the type of carrier?

Now I'm tempted to try turning off my CDMA radio and see if it makes a difference in my Bluetooth range.
    your problems might have to do with bluetooth on XP. Do you run the drivers for the BT module or did you use the microsoft drivers?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    I use the Anycom Bluetooth LAN access point and an Iogear BT USB dongle in my laptop using reverse DUN with my GSM 650. Although both are Class 1 devices, the range on the access point is not as good as the laptop. Realistically, I can go maybe 100+ feet with walls when connecting to laptop and maybe 60 feet using access point. I've also noticed that download speed is much lower using access point than laptop. DSL Reports indicates I can download 300-500 kbps using laptop and 150-300 kbps using access point.

Even though, they both work very well for me.

Khatysus, I wish there were profiles too, but the next best thing I do is to set my BT connections to fallback to GPRS. This reduces the need to shuffle around connections, depending on my location. I do have an access point at home & work, so I still need to shuffle in between these, if I wanna use broadband. But if I don't need broadband, I can always fallback to GPRS without changing my connection.
    The dongle plugged into your laptop is potentially blocked by the laptop itself, is in a bad orientation for the Treo usage, etc.. If you use a USB extension and get the dongle up a bit and away from things, the range will significantly increase.

Of course that's not all that convenient for portable usage, but I have such a setup on my Linux workstation, the BT dongle is up on the wall about 6', same as my wifi antenna, about 4' apart.