Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm not going to stop you!

Marc
    So if I'm not using Matrix and I upgrade to the most recent BETA OTA, Matrix will be included?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Yes, but it will only last 30 days before it needs to be registered.

Marc
    So if I've already paid for Matrix(which I have) am I good to go, or do I need to enter the registration code I did when I first registered it? When the time comes to register can I just use the same code?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    It's amazing how many simple questions could be answered by simply READING. Marc laid this out pretty simply. This is one developer that would never go back on his word or attempt to cheat people. I'm personally surprised that he doesn't charge a small yearly fee for upgrades; I would gladly pay $10-$15/year for upgrades.
    If you could point me to the place in the press release where it says this is not a replacement, please do. The fact of the matter is this says ChatterEmail is becoming ChatterEmail+, implying there is no more ChatterEmail.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    If you could point me to the place in the press release where it says this is not a replacement, please do. The fact of the matter is this says ChatterEmail is becoming ChatterEmail+, implying there is no more ChatterEmail.
    Well, I've still been just using ChatterEmail with no problems...

Of course, now every time I upgrade, Matrix is included(taking space from my RAM - no matter how small it is) even though I don't need it(but have paid for it anyway). So if I didn't pay for the Matrix upgrade, would I lose all Chatter functionality altogether?
    That's for new purchasers. If you already have Chatter, and don't need MatrixSSL, it doesn't effect you. If you decide you want MatrixSSL (like I did) it's now only a $4.95 upgrade instead of a $12 upgrade.

If you already have Chatter and Matrix... you are good to go.

The only difference is that for new users, ChatterMail now includes MatrixSSL right off the bat. So you save some money, and you get all the features in the same bundle.

If in the future, there is a 1.5.2 release for example, you will be getting ChatterMail+ instead of ChatterMail... which just means you get MatrixSSL bundled in. And that update is of course free as always.

Does that help?
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Well, I've still been just using ChatterEmail with no problems...

Of course, now every time I upgrade, Matrix is included(taking space from my RAM - no matter how small it is) even though I don't need it(but have paid for it anyway). So if I didn't pay for the Matrix upgrade, would I lose all Chatter functionality altogether?
    I'm not 100% sure, but if you don't use SSL on any of your accounts, you might be able to remove the new ChatterMatrix library... saving you the ~48K it currently takes up.

Of course only Marc can give you the official sanctioned confirmation on this.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl
    If in the future, there is a 1.5.2 release for example, you will be getting ChatterMail+ instead of ChatterMail... which just means you get MatrixSSL bundled in. And that update is of course free as always.
    Is that true Marc? If I would have to pay for Matrix now, why would it come free later on to an already registered Chatter user?
    It doesn't become free later, it is included in the download, however if you have not registered matrix it is only a demo, and times out...
    If this is an entirely new purchase, you now get matrix included in the price, and it is up to you to turn it on or not.
    If you, as an existing user, do not use/need matrix just ignore this extirely - nothing changes, and yes you still get free upgrades
    Is that true Marc? If I would have to pay for Matrix now, why would it come free later on to an already registered Chatter user?
    Yeah OK I guess I didn't think of that. If you don't own MatrixSSL or ChatterMail+... and an update comes out... I don't know how that works.

I'm an avid SSL user, paranoid to the max, as well as a Security Test Engineer so I use encryption left and right. Plaintext protocols scare me!

Meaning that I guess your current situation doesn't apply to me- sorry! Hope I didn't add confusion or misinformation .

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    In the press release it says,

"Inexpensive (and optional) upgrades will be available for current users of ChatterEmail. The upgrade to ChatterEmail+ (i.e. adding MatrixSSL) will cost only $4.95, compared with $12 previously, and the EX plugin will be available for only $9.95 to existing ChatterEmail/MatrixSSL users."

Which sure reads to me like current users only pay money by adding MatrixSSL or adding the EX plugin.
    Man, I didn't intend this to be complicated!

The idea is that 1) MatrixSSL is now bundled in all new releases, 2) Legacy users who haven't purchased the $4.95 upgrade will lose Matrix abilities after 30 days. There is no effect at all for people who don't use SSL or don't want to use Matrix, and no loss of future upgrades to anybody.

This all comes from a new deal I negotiated with the creator of MatrixSSL that allows me to provide this to all new customers (which is what I've always wanted). As a requirement, I can no longer sell MatrixSSL as a separate product, but I am allowed to upgrade legacy users.

This is a HUGE win for customers, I think - a far cheaper upgrade for existing customers ($4.95 vs $12) and new functionality without the dual-registration hassle for new customers.

Does this help?

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    2) Legacy users who haven't purchased the $4.95 upgrade will lose Matrix abilities after 30 days. There is no effect at all for people who don't use SSL or don't want to use Matrix, and no loss of future upgrades to anybody.

Marc
    So that answers questions I had (even though I've already upgraded).

However what about the guy that doesn't want SSL at all? Can he simply remove the ChatterMatrix library- whether it's expired or not (but especially after it expires)?

Thanks!

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    I'm upgrading my wife's copy of Chatter tonight for the princely sum of Four Hundred and Ninety Five Cents, even though I'm not sure why she needs SSL.

Heck, she's not even sure why she needs push email on her Treo. She's a little awed by the fact that email-wise her Treo and her PC match. It's just my secret diabolical scheme to keep her inbox below 300 emails.
    We are all awed by that fact. It comes in so handy. Ben
    Yes, that should work.

Marc
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12