Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since so many people are using the ROM update tool for putting the FAT32 driver on there only, what do you guys think of creating a standalone FAT32 update program that would just download the ROM, back it up to a ZIP file, remove FATFS and replace it with FAT32?

The goal would be to eliminate complexity for most people that just want a quick update.

Seems like a doable project, but I'd like to make sure it would be needed first.
    sounds great, but how about a program that adds and removed from the ROM via checked box selection? Nothing to0 special maybe just 5-6 boxes to remove Versamail, Realplayer, ??? and to swap out FATFS/FAT32, blazer, etc...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    sounds great, but how about a program that adds and removed from the ROM via checked box selection? Nothing to0 special maybe just 5-6 boxes to remove Versamail, Realplayer, ??? and to swap out FATFS/FAT32, blazer, etc...
    Yeah - maybe it might just be better to add a wizard to do add/remove for any program instead - or maybe a preselected set. Good point!
    THAT WOULD BE WONDERFUL! Although I've already got a custom mod I really had a tough time getting it done... I was terrified I would brick my phone...
    I've got a few friends that would do it that way in a heartbeat... You guys are amazing!
    Lol, sorry to get ahead of you guys, I know it hasn't even been started...
    Great idea. Do it.
    Sounds great to me. Thanks for asking and volunteering.
    Communications is the toughest thing we do.
    unlocked Cingular (GSM) Treo 650, 1.51 firmware, 1.17 CNG software
    That's exactly what I wanted. Would be an awesome tool.
    mmastrac: I love what you have done so far and wonder how far you want to take this new effort. I am wondering if it would be possible to create an on the computer wizard and corresponding app on the Treo. You would first put any apps in a directory associated with the wizard, probably just drag and drop them onto the desktop wizard icon. Connecting the hotsync cable and clicking the on Treo app would fire up the wizard which would show a list of apps with their approximate ROM size and check boxes for ROM or RAM. It would also start the bootloader. You would check whatever boxes you wanted and the wizard would tell you what fits in both ROM and RAM. By shuffling things between ROM and RAM you sort things out the way you need. Once you are satisfied it loads.

It would be about as simple as installing apps to RAM or card is now but would include installing apps to ROM.
    I know I sure would appreciate it!
    Sounds like an excellent idea. I'm a technophile and not afraid of doing a custom ROM, but it seems that there are many on these forums that would like the flexibility and features afforded by a custom ROM that aren't so inclined to try due to the inherent risk involved. I think such an application as that suggested would be a great asset to the treo community.
    HP95LX--->Palm m130--->Palm Zire71--->Treo 700P --->Palm Pré
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    He's just making a suggestion guys. No need to flame him.

Anyways, since Shadowmite + crew figured out how to upload a new ROM via the bootloader, I don't think it's possible to brick the phone without actually physicly damaging it, or doing something well beyond removing the wrong file from the custom ROM.
    ummm..so are we up for bounty????? I am in. I am busy a lot and simple easy program will help me a lot and peace of mind .
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    If it is a fairly simple project, then I say go ahead.
    Especially if the user could run it as simple as a Hotsync.
    1. Securely attach Hotsync cable.
    2. Start Bootloader (or maybe this could be part of the Wizard.)
    3. Start Wizard. (it autoruns, [dl-swap-upload] all the way through)
    4. Reset to exit Bootloader (or maybe this also could be part of the Wizard.)
    Many, reasonably so, are afraid to mess with their Treo.
    So the more automated, the better.
    I see where nono & jgm are going with their ideas, and I concur. Any additional features or improvements u make to the Tool, will always be appreciated.
    Thanks Again.
    Just call me Berd.
    This would be awesome! Thanks!
    Bumpadump...
    mmastrac, do you think you'll be taking on this project?? i'd be happy to contribute to "r & d" through paypal..
    I would be interested in this was well... though there are rumors that Palm is going to eventually release the Fat32 driver for the 650 in an update later on...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by IEFesq
    mmastrac, do you think you'll be taking on this project?? i'd be happy to contribute to "r & d" through paypal..
    I'm still trying to determine a scope for the project - I'll likely start out on it, once I figure out what it will do.
    wait a bit girls and guys, palm is rumoured to be inserting the fat32 in the next rom-update. well, it may be just a rumour, but maybe not. we can wait a see.

HELLO PALM! PLEASE DO NOT KEEP US IN SUSPENSE. IT COULD SAVE SOME BRICKED TREOS RESULTING FROM UNPROFESSIONAL ROM-TAMPERING.

see, now palm has heard us and will be reacting soon :-)
    HELLO PALM! PLEASE DO NOT KEEP US IN SUSPENSE. IT COULD SAVE SOME BRICKED TREOS RESULTING FROM UNPROFESSIONAL ROM-TAMPERING.
    It's awfully hard to brick your treo with the rom updater. If I figured it out, you can. A stand alone program to do this is great, but you really shouldn't be afraid of custom Roms. If you back up your rom before messing with it, you really CAN'T brick your treo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast