1.    #1  
    As treocentral seems to be the only real, active forum for users of Goodlink, I'm posting this question here, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with a treo.

Even though the AKU2 update for the Treo 700w has been pulled, I'm wondering if anyone who has a password required by their IT policy was able to get it and successfully upgrade? The reason I'm asking is that I have a problem with my Cingular 8125, Goodlink, and an AKU2 ROM upgrade.

I've had my 8125 about 3 weeks - and in that time have successfully upgraded to various non-Cingular supported AKU2 ROMs. Last night my IT department pushed out a Goodlink policy update requiring passwords on all handhelds. Of course this is a pain in the ***, but I understand the issues and don't really have a problem with this policy.

However, there is a serious issue with the goodlink password requirement and AKU2 - basically they don't seem to work together. Immediately after having the policy pushed to me, the first time I did a soft reset I ended up with a blank white screen, with the task bar on top. The left side of the task bar would quickly flash "password" and then change to "Start" (w/ no start logo) and that was it... Nothing... Soft reset - same problem. The only thing that brought the device back was a hard reset, but once I reloaded goodlink and re-entered the password I was back in the same place.

After pulling my hair out for most of the night (it's not good to go to sleep at 3:00am when you have a client board meeting at 8:30am), I decided on my way to the airport that I would try loading the original Cingular ROM back. Surprise surprise, that worked. After spending a lot of time trying out different solutions today, I've come to the conclusion that goodlink passwords only work with the original Cingular ROM.

If there's no one else with this issue, Good Guy can you please escalate to your developers? I did find one other poster on the xda-developers.com forums with the same problem. I'm not going to escalate it to my IT department, as they don't officially support any WM5 devices with Goodlink (only the Treo 650), and telling them that I not only have an unsupported device but that I've also loaded a hacked ROM will get me laughed out of the room.
    Last edited by CameronJ; 04/26/2006 at 11:05 PM.
    I will forward this on and see what kind of response I get. The problem is, I am willing to bet that the response will be "unsupported ROM means unsupported configuration"

By the way, the 8125, 700W, Sprint and VZN 6700 are all officially supported by GoodLink.
  3.    #3  
    GoodGuy, thanks for the quick response. I wouldn't be surprised if we got the "unsupported ROM" response - that's the price you pay for being on the bleeding edge.

On the "unsupported device" comment - sorry if it sounded like I was saying that the 8125 wasn't supported by Goodlink - it's actually just not supported by my IT department.
    No worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronJ
    GoodGuy, thanks for the quick response. I wouldn't be surprised if we got the "unsupported ROM" response - that's the price you pay for being on the bleeding edge.

On the "unsupported device" comment - sorry if it sounded like I was saying that the 8125 wasn't supported by Goodlink - it's actually just not supported by my IT department.
    Bleeding edge CJ or just impatient? Until it is supported by your IT, try an official ROM so that you are stable and getting sleep.
  6.    #6  
    In case anyone is interested, I have an update on this problem.

I had some free time on my hands to tinker tonight - so I decided to see if I could test 4.8 with an AKU2 ROM.

Since my company hasn't rolled 4.8 out yet, I had to basically hack it in, which involved extracting the files from the 4.8 desktop installer from the goodlink website and copying those over my existing goodlink backup on the storage card (after copying the originals somewhere else of course).

I'm happy to report that, as of right now, the issue does seem to be resolved. It does look like 4.7 isn't compatible with AKU2 (if you use passwords) - so if this situation applies to you (on 4.7, using passwords) you probably shouldn't upgrade to an AKU2 ROM.

So now, to everyone's delight I'm sure, I'm COMPLETELY unsupported. Not only am I running an unsupported ROM I'm also running a version of goodlink not supported by my IT department.
    cameron

can u explain in a little bit more detail how you found the files to override in your treo to get it to reflect 4.8?

my firm also uses the passwords and the treo keeps crashing so im pretty much doing a hard reset every few days...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdoe
    cameron

can u explain in a little bit more detail how you found the files to override in your treo to get it to reflect 4.8?

my firm also uses the passwords and the treo keeps crashing so im pretty much doing a hard reset every few days...
    Ok, here goes. Remember that this is a bit of a hack - so proceed at your own risk.

1. Do a backup from within GoodLink to your SD card
    2. Copy all those files to another directory on the SD card or on your computer as a backup (they should be in \Storage Card\GoodLink Backup\). Don't delete the files in this directory yet, as there are two that you need later (backup.dat and restore.ini).
    2.a. Delete your \Program Files\GoodLink directory. If this directory exists (it might just be if there are files in the directory, I'm not sure) then the restore process you run later won't execute.
    3. Go to http://www.good.com/download/ and download the End-User Desktop Installer (#7).
    4. Run the installer. At some point it's going to try and set GoodLink up on your handheld - you can cancel the install here.
    5. Copy the files from C:\Program Files\GoodLink\Pocket PC 2005 Handhelds\v4.8\EN into the \Storage Card\GoodLink Backup\ directory on your Treo. You can overwrite all files. You now have the 4.8 applications on your storage card, along with the backup.dat and restore.ini files.
    6. Run the restore process. I do this by clicking on the Restore GoodLink shortcut in the root directory of the SD card. The restore process should run successfully, giving you an install of 4.8.
    7. Since the server is running 4.7, it may think that you need an "upgrade" of your client software. Once you start running GoodLink, you'll probably get a policy update asking if you want to upgrade your software. Of course you want to answer No, as "upgrading" will just put you right back at 4.7. Unfortunately, the dialog box eventually just gives you a Yes option. My solution was to first delete the \Program Files\GoodLink\GOODLINK\GLPackage2005.cab file (this is the downloaded 4.7 upgrade). I then created a blank text file with that name and .cab extension in that directory, which I then changed to Read Only with Total Commander. Now even if I run the "upgrade" nothing happens.

That's it - seems much more difficult once I write it all down.
    thanks for the above

i had some problems installing so i had to work around some of the issues...but ive got 4.8 on...and no problems at all...

anyone know how to get the msg button to take you to the sms inbox instead of the good inbox? its really lame how good changed that functionality....cuz now u have to get to the taskbar in order to access the sms inbox while there are now two ways to get to the good inbox from the today screen...
    Last edited by jamesdoe; 05/16/2006 at 10:40 AM.
    Jamesdoe - h\w buttons can be reassigned to whatever you want. go to Prefs and Buttons and modify to your hearts content
    I got 4.8 loaded and it works just as you mentioned. However, When I copy the 0 length file and set to read only, GL gets very upset and will reset itself when it trys to reload a new version (actually 4.7) from the server. If I leave the file r/w and just copy over it before it asks me to install again, everything seems fine.

Did you have this same problem?
    Was 4.8 pushed out to you?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmjones
    I got 4.8 loaded and it works just as you mentioned. However, When I copy the 0 length file and set to read only, GL gets very upset and will reset itself when it trys to reload a new version (actually 4.7) from the server. If I leave the file r/w and just copy over it before it asks me to install again, everything seems fine.

Did you have this same problem?
    I do get an occasional problem where, after it forces me to install, GoodLink will close every few minutes. This requires GoodLink to reload everytime I go to the inbox which of course takes way too much time. In these cases I just delete GoodLink and reinstall from the backup. I haven't really been able to diagnose why it does this sometimes and not others at this point.