Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Anyone know of any software that will allow me to create sub-categories for contacts? Preferably one that will use Palm's contact DB.

I'm a real estate investor and I'd LOVE to create a "RE" category with sub-categories for "contractors", attorneys, REAgents, buyers............

I have DateBk5. It create calendar items--but then adds "stuff" to the note area that enables it to do it's magic. I'm thinking the software I'm after could do something similar.

TIA!
    Don

Handspring Visor => Handspring Visor Deluxe => Sony Clie T615c => Treo 650 on Verizon => Treo 700p on Verizon
    PocketMirror XT Pro from Chapura
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Thanks. I just checked there website and I don't see ANY indication that it'll do this. I understand that it allows me to sync Outlook folders whereas Palm's standard Outlook Conduit won't.

But what I'm looking for would ALL be done on the Palm and would preferably use the default DB (I do NOT use Outlook).

i.e. the default DB allows me to create Categories and assign each contact to a category. So it looks something like:

• Personal
      Mom & Dad
      Sister
      Grandmother
    • Profesionals
      Dr. Sheffeild
      Tax man

But I'd like to have the following:
    • Personal
      Mom & Dad
      Sister
      Grandmother
    • RealEstate
      -> Contractors
      John Doe - Electrician
      Joe Smith - Plumber
      James Jackson - Electrician
      -> Agents
      James Johnson - Remax
      Jane Robertson - Century 21
    • Profesionals
      Dr. Sheffeild
      Tax man

This is a bit of an over-simplification because I've actually got a need for about 6-7 sub-categories UNDER real estate alone. And one of the reasons that I'm hoping I can do this with the default DB is that I use Mozilla as my browser/email of choice. I have a conduit that sync's my Palm contacts with Mozilla. I REALLY don't want to have to maintain to seperate contact lists on the PC.
    Don

Handspring Visor => Handspring Visor Deluxe => Sony Clie T615c => Treo 650 on Verizon => Treo 700p on Verizon
    PocketMirror Pro XT uses the default databases, but it uses Outlook to sync. I don't think it works with Palm desktop pim. Not positive about this.
    There are two versions of Pocket Mirror XT - Pro and Standard. Pro will definitely sync the subfolders of Outlook. Standard will not - that's a major difference.

If your using Exchange version of Outlook - Pocket Mirror Pro XT will also sync the Global Address Book from your exchange server, if you want it.

If you have subfolders - XT Pro will automatically (you have to set it up) will call these folders - categories on the Treo.

It will not do sub-sub folders as in your example.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I'm NOT using Outlook. Nor do I WANT to use Outlook. I'm talking about having sub-categories ON THE PALM.

Under the Palm Category, I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM.
    Don

The Palm desktop and it's corresponding conduits - I know of no program that will do that using the native databases. And most of the other programs that manage the files in the way that you might want - will not use the native databases. This is a limitation of the Palm.

My only suggestion would be to use the Title field as a category and then either use Agendus, Contacts 5 or Address XT to have more "filtering" capabilites than DB5.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by doni49
    I'm NOT using Outlook. Nor do I WANT to use Outlook. I'm talking about having sub-categories ON THE PALM.

Under the Palm Category, I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM. I want a Sub-Category ON THE PALM.
    Take it easy. We're just trying to help. You're mixing up your terms. When you talk about the palm databases, most pim programs, including ones that use Outlook, use the palm databases. Only a couple use their own proprietary databases like Chapura Keysuite.

There apparently is no program that will let you have sub-folders with the Palm Desktop. However, if you use PM Pro XT and sync with Outlook, since it uses the standard palm pim databases, it should also sync with Mozilla.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Take it easy. We're just trying to help.
    Yes I realize and appreciate that. Yesterday was just an extremely frustrating day. Then it was seeming as though I wasn't getting my message across as to what I was looking for. That was just enough additional frustration to push me over the edge and I apologize for that.

You're mixing up your terms.
    I honestly don't see how I could have been any more clear as to what I was looking for. To quote my second message:
    But what I'm looking for would ALL be done on the Palm and would preferably use the default DB (I do NOT use Outlook).
    When you talk about the palm databases, most pim programs, including ones that use Outlook, use the palm databases. Only a couple use their own proprietary databases like Chapura Keysuite.

There apparently is no program that will let you have sub-folders with the Palm Desktop. However, if you use PM Pro XT and sync with Outlook, since it uses the standard palm pim databases, it should also sync with Mozilla.
    But isn't the purpose of PM to improve HotSync capabilities NOT to add functionality on the device? I guess I'll have to investigate the possibility of writing my own app.

Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by doni49; 04/28/2006 at 09:35 PM.
    Don

Have you looked into Agendus? While it wont give you sub-categories, it will allow you to group on custom fields. So, lets say in the custom field #2 you use the word "contractor" or "agent". Then in Agendus, filter on category "Real Estate", THEN group on custom field #2. Now,all your contractors and agents, etc are sorted out for you.

Most people dont even think of using the custom field's in their contacts. In regard to your problem, this is a very viable solution.
    Last edited by cgordonn; 05/01/2006 at 08:26 PM.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Doni,
    Have you had a chance to look into my Agendus recommendation?
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI