Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not sure if this is the right palce to post, if not MODS please move how you see fit.
    Doing some research today I cam across a petition for gmail to put in place IMAP along with their POP access. I thought maybe a few of you would agree that this would be a stellar thing. If you agree follow the link and sign the petition.
    http://google.logenv.org/
    There's always next year!
    I forward my gmail accounts to fastmail' which is Imap with IDLE command supported. Works great for now... though I guess it would be cool if Gmail did IMAP on it's own.
    Visit my smartphone website :
    Smartphone Reviews
    Reviews & news on all smartphones - including the Treo line.
    I also forward my GMail to my free Fastmail account. The thing is, if my Treo got *every* message, I'd be removing SPAM and sifting through junk every second of my life. With the GMail forward to Fastmail IMAP, I can use Google filters to apply to my mail and only forward things that I want to see on my Treo.
    <br>
    Yeah, me too on the gmail --> fastmail thing. Another good thing is that I don't have to remember whether I gave out my Fastmail or my gmail account (or my work email or my Yahoo address or my other Yahoo address..) The point of control is Gmail. And especially 'Yeah' on the spam thing.
    Any new news on this? With all the features Google is adding (mini apps, (widgets?), it seems like Gmail IMAP is being left in the dust or at least on the backburner. How hard can this be to implement?
    you're missing the point. Why does Google offer GMail for free? Because it gets revenue from advertising on the gmail web page. If you have IMAP access, you don't ever see the ads, now do you? And if you don't see the ads, Google doesn't get their money, and they have to shut down gmail. Or start charging for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IDtheTarget
    you're missing the point. Why does Google offer GMail for free? Because it gets revenue from advertising on the gmail web page. If you have IMAP access, you don't ever see the ads, now do you? And if you don't see the ads, Google doesn't get their money, and they have to shut down gmail. Or start charging for it.
    I know what you're saying, but then why do they offer POP?
    <br>
    I use POP3 and never see the google gmail home page so am not seeing the advertising. I just use pop3 to get my email.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  9.    #9  
    yeh, why? huh tell me huh huh. Me thinks there are holes in your theory.
    Because not having POP access would be so annoying to techies that we'd just go somewhere else.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by IDtheTarget
    Because not having POP access would be so annoying to techies that we'd just go somewhere else.
    that's why i use gmail and not paying for upgraded yahoo, but it sure would be nice to have an IMAP route. But hey I just want my cake and eat it to.
    IMAP Google would be great, I signed this months ago. I'm also waiting for Mobile Google Maps, that looks great. Come on Google make it work....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I recall reading somewhere a loooong arse time ago that Google was considering IMAP for gmail, but I dunno what happenned to that. It was mentioned in the google support/hlpe forums I recall....

IMO, I wish it was possible to sync your Treo calendar with google calendar wirelessly. That would be a great way to sharing your calendar with other people wirelessly...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Help a newbie. What is the difference or benefit to IMAP of pop. please keep it simple!
    Ymeagle

Treo 700p Sprint Favorite apps in order: phone, navigator (tomtomGPS) , NV Backup, Docstogo, Versa, keycaps, minitones, PdaNet, Butler, palmPDF, volcare, AOL im, DA, BOLD MEANS FREE
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    pop3: Mail is downloaded to your computer. If you have multiple computers that you want to all access the same mail..forget it.

imap: Mail stays on the mailserver. Multiple computers can see/read/etc the same emails cuz it's all in one place. Also, with the right kind of imap server, you can have some email programs for the treo do immediate 'push' notifications for when you get new email in.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    pop3: Mail is downloaded to your computer. If you have multiple computers that you want to all access the same mail..forget it.
    Ummm with POP3 You can also choose to leave the email on the server, so any computer can have access to it. Thats the way i have my POP3 email accounts set up. My messages are available on my laptop, homecomputer, and treo.

There is a sticky in the communications forum that explains the difference between POP and IMAP but after the first few posts it get silly and isn't worth your time.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    The point is, imap is centrally located email - and not having to deal with multiple copies which may or may not have all the same content.
    Bump. Any new news on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by scuzlebutt View Post
    04/26/2006
    I'm not sure if this is the right palce to post, if not MODS please move how you see fit. Doing some research today I cam across a petition for gmail to put in place IMAP along with their POP access. I thought maybe a few of you would agree that this would be a stellar thing. If you agree follow the link and sign the petition.
    http://google.logenv.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    I recall reading somewhere a loooong arse time ago that Google was considering IMAP for gmail, but I dunno what happenned to that. It was mentioned in the google support/hlpe forums I recall....
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    IMAP Google would be great, I signed this months ago. I'm also waiting for Mobile Google Maps, that looks great. Come on Google make it work....
    Hands-on with Gmail's new IMAP support
    by Rafe Needleman
    October 23, 2007
    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9803227-7.html

Sync your inbox across devices with free IMAP
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 6:02 AM
    Posted by David Murray, Associate Product Manager
    http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2007/1...ices-with.html

Getting Started with IMAP for Gmail
    https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...n&answer=75725
    Last edited by KevMeister; 10/24/2007 at 09:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    does the imap work with snappermail with IMAP feature?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast