Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Coincidentally checked by the motionapps website yesterday and saw that mPod was out of beta and now called mOcean with a LOT of new features.

1) Equalizer was added
    2) You can place the click wheel ( la Ipod) anywhere on the screen
    3) and most interesting but sloooooooooow is FULL ITUNES SYNCHRONIZATION. Yes they made a conduit to sync directly from iTunes playlists. Just choose the playlists and they will transfer on your next hotsync. Of course it's way too slow so I'll stick to a card reader with my 4Gb SD for now.
    4) Amazing feature to search for songs directly with the Treo keyboard (iTunes style)

The biggest bug I found is that if you play songs off a folder in the SD Card, mOcean will not automatically continue on to the next song. Meaning you have to play the songs one by one

With a little work, I think this app can blow pTunes out of the sky!
    Last edited by El Gorra; 04/26/2006 at 07:13 AM.
    Looks cool indeed. But two things are keeping me from getting it.

1) No Mac conduit, yet.
    2) The most important one, no AAC codec.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gorra
    The biggest bug I found is that if you play songs off a folder in the SD Card, mOcean will not automatically continue on to the next song. Meaning you have to play the songs one by one
    Quote Originally Posted by CountZero
    1) No Mac conduit, yet.
    2) The most important one, no AAC codec.
    Sounds like it isnt quite out of beta yet.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    This looks very cool, but I am going to stick with Aeroplayer until the SD card bug is fixed.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  5.    #5  
    Just noticed that a lot of my songs were missing from the albums/artists views.

The problem is that mOcean evidently has problems reading some ID3 tags. Later I noticed that when I played those missing songs straight from the card, album and artist information didn't show up on the screen.
    Just noticed that a lot of my songs were missing from the albums/artists views.

The problem is that mOcean evidently has problems reading some ID3 tags. Later I noticed that when I played those missing songs straight from the card, album and artist information didn't show up on the screen.
    I've also installed the latest mOcean player and I experienced this same problem. Although I could see the song on my card, it would not display in mOcean even though it was an MP3 file.

I'm sticking with PTunes for now. mOcean does not detect when you've plugged in the power cord, so the treo goes to sleep. You have to wake it and then work the player. The max volume is also way too low for listening through an FM transmitter in the car... my 2 cents...
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet
    The max volume is also way too low for listening through an FM transmitter in the car
    I agree 100%, the volume is way too low. Should have a volume boost like pTunes.
    The itunes integration looks nice, though. Has anyone tried this, and then accessing those playlists through pTunes?
    Wow, sounds like they really came up short when compared to pTunes???

I guess they're just counting on the iTunes craze to be enough?

I love my pTunes. I'm listening to streaming radio on it now, with Bluetooth headphones courtesy of Softkick Audio Gateway. Life is good!
    I tried mOcean too on my 650 and found that when playing low bit rate mp3's (like audio books) they would skip in a MAJOR way (no such problem with pTunes or RealPlayer.) Too bad, I REALLY like the iPod-like user interface, much better than any skin I've seen for pTunes.

Why does everyone try to jam so much information onto their pTunes skins, or use funky thumbscreen layouts? I just want one that's easy to use without a stylus when I'm driving or running.
    I'm actually rather impressed with the iTunes integration. When you add a playlist in iTunes, it also updates the playlist entry in the Hotsync conduit. Once your songs are added to the playlist in iTunes, just select it in the mOcean conduit and sync.

Albeit, the process of actually right clicking the Hotsync icon, select 'custom', highlight the mOcean conduit, click "change", and selecting the playlist is a bit too tedious for me. I do give it props for doing what it's designed to do, though.

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Actually someone created an iPOD skin for Ptunes. Works quite well for me.
    I'm actually rather impressed with the iTunes integration. When you add a playlist in iTunes, it also updates the playlist entry in the Hotsync conduit. Once your songs are added to the playlist in iTunes, just select it in the mOcean conduit and sync.
    But is the playlist also visible from pTunes? Or perhaps just the MP3 files themselves, but not the playlist?

Albeit, the process of actually right clicking the Hotsync icon, select 'custom', highlight the mOcean conduit, click "change", and selecting the playlist is a bit too tedious for me.
    I bet that it wouldn't be too difficult to use Salling Clicker to streamline this procedure, and you'd be able to drive it all from the Treo without touching the computer's keyboard or mouse:
    http://www.salling.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63
    But is the playlist also visible from pTunes? Or perhaps just the MP3 files themselves, but not the playlist?
    No. The playlist is not visible in pTunes. mOcean and pTunes are two different beasts all together (I do prefer the mOcean interface though!). When you load the MP3's on your treo using iTunes to play in mOcean, it places them on the SD Card in the /Palm/Programs/mOcean/ folder. You'll have to open pTunes and browse to that folder to play the files and/or create your pTunes playlist.

I bet that it wouldn't be too difficult to use Salling Clicker to streamline this procedure, and you'd be able to drive it all from the Treo without touching the computer's keyboard or mouse:
    http://www.salling.com/
    I suppose that would work. mOcean is just out of beta so perhaps they'll streamline the song loading process in the future.

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    I installed mOcean and noticed that its installer installs a couple of files, not just an mOcean.prc.

I'd like to remove the program and its associated files for now -- does anyone know what they are?

I thought one of them was a file called "LMReg," but it looks like that file might be used by other programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by e_drummer53
    Actually someone created an iPOD skin for Ptunes. Works quite well for me.
    ... but the fonts are WAY too small for me. Why does it have such a giant wheel (relative to the screen size) and tiny little words to try to read when you're driving or running?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo
    ... but the fonts are WAY too small for me. Why does it have such a giant wheel (relative to the screen size) and tiny little words to try to read when you're driving or running?
    Agree, plus the wheel doesn't "spin" like in mOcean, you can't see how far in the song you are and you don't see any info except the song name.

The mOcean interface is WAY ahead, when they fix the bugs, it will be perfect.
    Agree, plus the wheel doesn't "spin" like in mOcean, you can't see how far in the song you are and you don't see any info except the song name.

The mOcean interface is WAY ahead, when they fix the bugs, it will be perfect.

I think they've got to do more than fix the bugs. I need all of the features
    that pTunes has, plus the iTunes stuff.

I can't afford to have mOcean, pTunes, and RealAudio all sucking up
    my storage!

FWIW, I like being able to store my mp3s anywhere I want, and not having
    a designated directory. I use my mp3s with other applications.
    This is the sort of thing I've thought about wanting to develop for a while: a clean, simple interface for navigating around an MP3 collection. Unfortunately, I don't have the low-level multimedia coding skill to do it and, unlike with the WM OS, there's no built in API's for someone like me to make use of.

Anyways, I tried this out and I like it, but it's not perfect. My biggest problem is that one song had some horrible distortion going on, so I'm not sure what was going on there. Hopefully that's a bug fix coming soon.

I think the virtual wheel was implemented very well, but in the end, I'm not sure that it's needed on the Treo. This is the only navigation interface on an iPod, but the Treo already has a 5-way D-pad, volume controls, full QWERTY keyboard, and other buttons. One thing that's cool about the wheel is that you can scroll through lists fast or slow. But since you mainly need to scroll fast when perusing a list of songs, I think the Treo's keyboard works even better for jumping quickly down a list. So, I wouldn't mind seeing a display option with the wheel gone.

I'd also like to see the D-Pad's center button be used for Play/Pause. You can already select a list item by pressing right on the D-Pad.

My point is that these guys obviously have an appreciation for good MP3 UI, but rather than spend so much time trying to make it look, work, and feel exactly like an iPod (and falling a bit short), I'd like to see them evolve the UI further to take advantage of what the Treo uniquely offers and ending up with a UI that's *better* than the iPod's.

So, in addition to what I mentioned above, I'd like to see them change the menu button behavior so that it either acts like a menu button (mainly with menu options for controlling preferences) or maybe jumps you right to a preference screen.

Also, lose the iPod font or make it configurable. There are some other great anti-aliased fonts that would be even better. Maybe let you change the background/text colors as well. Again, I think they're selling themselves short by copying *everything* about the iPod UI.
    Last edited by Scott R; 04/28/2006 at 05:30 PM.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I WANT to love mOcean... a lot. It seems like just what I'm looking for. But the SD bug is KILLING me. Has anyone gotten mOcean to work correctly with a big (2GB or 4GB) SD card yet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast