1.    #1  
    First time post here - thanks for the great forum!

I'm having reception and missed/dropped call issues and I need some help. Sorry for the long post, but I really need some help.

I currently use Sprint as my carrier with a standard Treo 650 and the latest 13a update. I picked the Treo because it was "supposed" to work perfectly with Microsoft Exchange 2003. Well, everyone knows that true "push" email doesn't work without 3rd party software, but email isn't my biggest issue.

My problem concerns actual phone reception. I miss more calls with the Treo 650 then I care to admit. I'm in sales, so this is starting to damage my numbers and my reputation. Some of my contacts are claiming that they can't count on me to pick up the phone...and that kills the chance of added business instantly.

Here is the killer - A caller will dial my number and they'll hear the phone ring on their end, but at the same time, my Treo 650 isn't doing a thing. The screen doesn't turn on and there is nothing in the missed call log. This makes me look like I'm avoiding calls....another instant reputation killer! I'll avoid going into detail on the delayed delivery of VM messages after a "missed" call, as that is Sprint without question.

So here is my problem/question -
    The owner of our company currently uses a Blackberry (works perfectly - FYI) and he would like to upgrade his phone, along with mine. He is going to open a Verizon business account and then choose between the Samsung i730 phone and the Treo 700w.

I don't know enough about the i730 to say anything good or bad about it, but I'm hesitant to use another Treo after all the problems I've had with this 650.

So with all of that being said, what kind of advice can you guys give me on the Treo 700? What about Verizon's service versus Sprint, does anyone have any comments....good or bad?

Also, I'd love to hear from someone using the Treo 700 to receive their Corp email from an exchange server. Were you able to configure the phone without the help of 3rd party software?

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any and all comments.

J-
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I have never had a dropped call with Sprint in my home area. But when I travel outside my home my phone does sometimes go into roaming. I think it all depends on where you are. You need to find out what carrier has best reception in the area you are doing business and for me that has been Sprint.
    Where are you when this happens ? I seem to recall there was a significant difference in signal penetration with lower signal frequencies doing better. IIRC for example GSM's 850 band does real well in this instance.

Otherwise what you are describing seems like a hardware issue with your device. I would not buy a phone w/o visiting an all brands / all carriers store and holding it in my hand and checking signals.
    It sounds like you should switch to Cingular. They have the fewest dropped calls in the country (sorry for the plug). I live in NYC area and Sprint and T-Mobile are well behind Cingular and Verizon in terms of coverage but every area is different. You should ask people in your area what service they have and how reliable it is and make a decision base on that.

If you travel a lot outside the country you should probably use Cingular or T-Mobile because they use GSM networks and many of their phones are quadband and can be used anywhere.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Might try a PRL update. I think the latest is 10032. Menu-I from the phone app will let you see which one you have. It's not a panacea, but it has helped my wife's phone when she had a lot of missed calls.

Another thought is: Do you have any background networks apps running?? I have chatter email runnng and miss calls because of that. But they don't hear it ringing. They just go right to voicemail.

Dave