Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have always been interested in The Boom. Seems like a truly exception headset, but pricey and corded.

I contacted them the other day and inquired about their plans for a bluetooth device and received the following response:
    We are past and above the planning stages; closer and closer to the production stages. About 4-6 months away. I will add your email address to our file to notify when the wireless is here. Also, keep an eye on our website for details.

Thank you for your continued interest in theBoom products.

Erin McHale
    customerservice@theBoom.com
    888-230-3300
    Once this unit is out, I bet that it will be the one to beat for sound quality (not taking into consideration cost).
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    I have always been interested in The Boom. Seems like a truly exception headset, but pricey and corded.

I contacted them the other day and inquired about their plans for a bluetooth device and received the following response:

Once this unit is out, I bet that it will be the one to beat for sound quality (not taking into consideration cost).
    I heard that 4-6 months ago. I'm not holding my breath.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I have all three models of theBoom sitting here - theBoom, the Boom "O" and the Boom Quiet.

As far as noise cancellation goes, if there are any better performing wired headsets on this planet, I sure don't know what they are.

The first day I got the review samples from Ume, I visited my Brother. I was sitting in my car in front of his home with the windows rolled up and my "premium" six speaker stereo blasting so loud I could barely hear myself talk. He was standing outside the car. I called his cell phone and I was whispering into the Boom's mic, I literally could not hear my own voice over the stereo. He could hear me as clear as a bell and could not hear the stereo at all.

Later, I called half a dozen people from home with my laptop system blasting away through pretty good speakers. Not a single one could hear the music, or they said they heard something very faint, very far away that could be music, but my voice was coming through like gangbusters, even when I whispered.

These things truly work. The $150.00 Boom doesn't look all that different from the $5.00 Jabra wired headset in TC's store, so the tricky part is explaining to people why one is $5.00 and the other is $150.00 and they look so similar.

You really have to use one of these things to appreciate just how stupendous the noise cancellation in them is.

The Boom Quiet, the $250.00 stereo headphones with the Boom mic that can be plugged into them are battery-powered and use electronics for noise cancellation whereas theBoom and theBoom "O" use wave-shaping noise cancellation with no electronics. As far as HiFi headphones The Boom Quiets are not bad, but they don't compare to my Sony MDR-V6 Studio Monitor cans. No, the Sonys don't have any noise cancellations, but they are jaw-droppers. The Boom Quiets don't have the clarity or frequency response (5hz - 30khz) of the Sonys, but they are decent headphones with incredible noise cancellation and fold down two different ways and come in an absolutely gorgeous hard case.

Anyway, if you visit Ume's site and listen to those sound samples there, they are definitely not "cooked" or faked. These headsets really DO exactly what they claim to do. Watch for my front page TC reviews this month. I'll be doing theBoom and theBoom "O" in one review, and theBoom Quiets in a separate review.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Just be sure it's what you want.... I bought the Boom several months ago after seeing great reviews. The sound *was* great, but it was very heavy, and the detachable boom mic detached a bit too easily for my test. It came with a 30 day guarantee. After returning it, it ended up being a *huge* hassle to get my money back. They only had voicemail, and did not return calls, or even emails. I ended up having to work with my credit card company to get the refund....
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    Just be sure it's what you want.... I bought the Boom several months ago after seeing great reviews. The sound *was* great, but it was very heavy, and the detachable boom mic detached a bit too easily for my test. It came with a 30 day guarantee. After returning it, it ended up being a *huge* hassle to get my money back. They only had voicemail, and did not return calls, or even emails. I ended up having to work with my credit card company to get the refund....
    Which model Boom are you talking about? There are three of them. The Boom Quiet (the stereo headphones) are much heavier than the small Boom or the Boom "O" which are feather-weight. Must be the Boom Quiet, since it's the only one of the three with a detachable boom mic.

The TC store just started carrying all three models of the Boom this past week so unfortunately you didn't have the option of buying it here back then. But check out TC's return policy.

Note: I am involved in the Editorial (writing reviews, assigning product to and Editing reviews and articles by the other writers..) .. side of TC only. I don't deal with the store sales at all. We also don't write reviews just to push product. Our goal is objectivity - call a spade a spade, attempt to be as technically accurate as possible, and I have stressed this over and over again that our policy is to not write marketing hype just to sell stuff. I want people reading this to fully understand that. my goal on the Editorial side is objectivity. The staff writers are not sales people and they are all highly experienced writers. I have told them repeatedly, don't be afraid to slam a product if it deserves slamming. Don't praise products in the fear that if you do that mfr. will never give you product again. Nothing is perfect. Everything has good and bad points. Use a product as a consumer would for 2-3 weeks before you sit down to write about it. The writers all understand this and I'm pretty happy with the quality of reviews we're publishing.

I've been writing computer reviews and articles for over twenty years, have written quite a few software and hardware manuals, and even Edited a couple books. It's hard work but it can be rewarding work. The Pulitzer people have never come a'knockin at my door, but if a publisher / owner is happy with my work, then that tells me I'm doing my job.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    My theBOOM v4 gives me strong reverberations/echos on the listeners end. I've tried positioning the mike every which way, but the volume or background noise only goes up and down and the reverb is still there.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickNH View Post
    My theBOOM v4 gives me strong reverberations/echos on the listeners end. I've tried positioning the mike every which way, but the volume or background noise only goes up and down and the reverb is still there.
    Could be a defective unit. Could have been a marginal connection.

Do you have another phone to try it on to make sure? It'll work with any kind of phone that has a headset jack on it. Cell phone, home landline phone, whatever. Does this happen on every call you make or take or just sometimes? I've made calls (on Sprint) and had horrible echo (with or without theBoom).. whereI heard my own voice coming back to me with a delay, so I hung up, dialed the person back, no echo. Just the nature of sometimes getting a flakey connection. That kind of thing even happens with landline phones.

I don't know which model "v4" is but I reviewed theBoom, theBoom "O", and the stereo headphone version theBoom Quiet and never had a lick of a problem with any of them.

If yours does the same echo thing on any phone you plug it into, call the nice folks at UmeVoice and they'll swap it out for a new one. They're very easy to deal with

Harv
    You better wait for Invisio Q7. It was listed for 4th Quarter (not sure its before holidays or afterwards). And it should be released at Radioshack nationwide. It has different technology (bone conduction) and not the one TheBoom use.
    http://www.nextlink.se/Templates/Art...4-f8b7e9a35921
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I've had my eye on The Boom, but it looks way too unwieldy to be walking and talking about. Perhaps if you're a telemarketer, or work on the floor of the NYSE (or in a similar noisy environment), or use it at a desk, it might provide plenty of added value at $150.

Instead, I've got this guy:

Plantronics MX150 Flexible Boom Headset with 2.5 mm Plug

$5.50. And it ROCKS. Noone has any difficulty hearing me, ever, except when it's particularly windy outside. The earpiece isn't the loudest, but that's easily enough fixed with Volume Care, which I already own.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-MX...bosnation0e-20

That The Boom is a different sort of animal certainly isn't falling on my deaf ears (in fact, I own Sennheiser SD-600 Cans, Grado SR 325's, Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EBs AND run em all through my HeadRoom Micro (desktop module))... so I know something of the technology at play. Also, I have a Senheisser ME3 mic I use for voice recognition, heh.

Point being, The Boom has it's place, but ain't for everyone. I'm more than pleased with my $5 headset, and at that price, have no worries stuffing it in my jeans pocket, if it ever breaks. I've had it maybe 3 months, now, with no issues, whatsoever. Highly recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    You better wait for Invisio Q7. It was listed for 4th Quarter (not sure its before holidays or afterwards). And it should be released at Radioshack nationwide. It has different technology (bone conduction) and not the one TheBoom use.
    http://www.nextlink.se/Templates/Art...4-f8b7e9a35921
    Thanks for the info on the Invisio Q7. My last headset was the AX2. I like that it paired with 8 devices, was extremely light-weight and comfortable, and easy to quickly put in the ear. The speaker was quite loud, but it distorted. I took it back to Radio Shack after a few weeks. I'm willing to try again, especially with the wind supression. Any word yet on the cost?
    Treo 650 on Sprint / Palm Case / 1 GB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card
    Quote Originally Posted by azxcpt View Post
    Thanks for the info on the Invisio Q7. My last headset was the AX2. I like that it paired with 8 devices, was extremely light-weight and comfortable, and easy to quickly put in the ear. The speaker was quite loud, but it distorted. I took it back to Radio Shack after a few weeks. I'm willing to try again, especially with the wind supression. Any word yet on the cost?
    Try grafting an EM3 boom microphone onto that AX2, and I think you will be very happy with the result. On this website, this combo is referred to as the "AX2 Pro." Do a search, and you will find a link to instructions. If you are at all handy, have a soldering iron, a magnifying glass, a pair of tweezers, an exacto knife, and a hot glue gun, it takes about 20 minutes. I've stopped looking for another bluetooth headset after I tried this home made combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by azxcpt View Post
    It is $200.00.
    Check this link:
    http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/...etooth_he.html
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I've had 3 versions of the Boom, still love it, although the latest one I have, the ear gel piece comes off, but the sound is still excellent. All the things you've heard is true on the noise cancellation.

I've been wating for the bluetooth as well, but it's been a year.

I used to have the logitech mobile pro, which had great noise cancellation, but that was bulky, then then Sony HBH-300, which was awesome, but also bulky and eventually the earhook wore off.

Now I'm on the Nokia Bh-900 and the sound quality with the extending boom is Awesome!

Noise cancellation is superb on this, and volume is great. With the boom retracting it actually fits in my jean pocket too.

Only complaint, although I know this is a treo 650 issue is that once in a while it mysteriously doesn't connect to the treo and i have to power off, power on, then hit connect. That bugs me, but the reality the sound quality is just too good.
  14.    #14  
    I spoke to the people at TheBoom again a few weeks ago. They have the prototype set-up, but they lost their bluetooth manufacterer, so it has been delayed until early 2007.

SAKozicki, thanks for the referral for the "Ax2 Pro." I found the thread over at HowardForums. While there, I found a guy that has two old TheBoom "O"s that he offered to anyone who wanted them, with the condition if they were successful, that one would be made for him. I took him up on it.

I first successfully connected TheBoom to a Scala 500. From what I read, it was even easier than attaching an Ety boom. Everything worked better than I expected. I drove 60mph with my top down, the music blaring and spoke in a whisper. Everybody could hear me perfectly! I never thought anything like that was possible.

The only problem I ran into was that the weight of the boom was too much for the Scala. The boom must remain long enough to keep the mic right near your mouth. The ear loop system that the Scala comes with is ridiculous to try to use. The only way I could get this to work is to attach one of the headset bands that came with TheBoom "O" to the Scala (I passed a thin bold through the earloop receiving hole). While this worked, it was a little clumsy. I am looking for that ultra-convenient, minimalistic appearance.

So, I ordered 2 Ax2's. I received the first and successfully attached TheBoom. With the Ax2, the look far more sleek. I wouldn't walk around with it, but for the car, and a convertible at that, this is amazing. The second Ax2 will arrive soon. I will convert the "ScalaBoom" to an Ax2Boom and send that back to the guy who supplied me TheBooms in the first place.

Since the Ax2's can now be had for less than $25 on ebay, and TheBoom "O" is sold for $100, seems that a bluetooth TheBoom can be made for $125. I have a feeling when they come out with their own device, it will be more than the $150 that they ask for their current TheBoom v4 (their earpiece version).

If anybody is interested, I can give more info on how to make one of these (though I won't do this for anybody myself, so please don't ask).
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
  15. sda
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickNH View Post
    I had a similar problem and since I live only about 45 minutes away from their offices, I drove up to UmeVoice to have them take a look. It turns out that there are several versions of the cable that connects from the phone to the headset. I had lots of echo with one version on my Boom Quiet. Once the cable was swapped, the problem was solved. I suggest you send an email describing your problem, this solution and see if they will send you another connection cable to your phone. BTW I am using a Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD View Post
    I spoke to the people at TheBoom again a few weeks ago. They have the prototype set-up, but they lost their bluetooth manufacterer, so it has been delayed until early 2007.

SAKozicki, thanks for the referral for the "Ax2 Pro." I found the thread over at HowardForums. While there, I found a guy that has two old TheBoom "O"s that he offered to anyone who wanted them, with the condition if they were successful, that one would be made for him. I took him up on it.

I first successfully connected TheBoom to a Scala 500. From what I read, it was even easier than attaching an Ety boom. Everything worked better than I expected. I drove 60mph with my top down, the music blaring and spoke in a whisper. Everybody could hear me perfectly! I never thought anything like that was possible.

The only problem I ran into was that the weight of the boom was too much for the Scala. The boom must remain long enough to keep the mic right near your mouth. The ear loop system that the Scala comes with is ridiculous to try to use. The only way I could get this to work is to attach one of the headset bands that came with TheBoom "O" to the Scala (I passed a thin bold through the earloop receiving hole). While this worked, it was a little clumsy. I am looking for that ultra-convenient, minimalistic appearance.

So, I ordered 2 Ax2's. I received the first and successfully attached TheBoom. With the Ax2, the look far more sleek. I wouldn't walk around with it, but for the car, and a convertible at that, this is amazing. The second Ax2 will arrive soon. I will convert the "ScalaBoom" to an Ax2Boom and send that back to the guy who supplied me TheBooms in the first place.

Since the Ax2's can now be had for less than $25 on ebay, and TheBoom "O" is sold for $100, seems that a bluetooth TheBoom can be made for $125. I have a feeling when they come out with their own device, it will be more than the $150 that they ask for their current TheBoom v4 (their earpiece version).

If anybody is interested, I can give more info on how to make one of these (though I won't do this for anybody myself, so please don't ask).
    Glad I could be of service. That AX2 Boom Pro sounds exciting. I might be inclined to try it when I get some spare goofing around time. Are there any notable diffiernces between attaching a Boom microphone compared to the EM3 mike? You've got to wonder why a couple of amateurs with a hot glue gun and an exacto knife can come up with such good bluetooth headsets and paid professionals can't get it right. Oh well, I guess this is why Bill Gates was able to become a billionaire after starting in his garage.
  17.    #17  
    Creating an "Ax2 Boom Pro" appears to be easier than using the Ety mic as originally described in the HF thread. The main difference is that TheBoom mic has several inches of wire to play with, whereas the Ety is too short and needs to be extended. The Ety wires also tend to fall into its boom spring and are hard to retrieve.

I'm telling you, this thing is EASY to make. I found out that TheBoom has periodic sales. TheBoom "O" can occasionally be had for $70. The Bluespoon (Ax2) can be had on ebay for <$25. I'm sure when TheBoom comes out with their own device it will cost close to $200. Honestly, I don't see why. The mic may be amazing, but the rest of the device (ear piece, head band, etc) is rather cheaply made.

I may buy a couple of Ax2's just to have backups (before they go away).
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD View Post
    Creating an "Ax2 Boom Pro" appears to be easier than using the Ety mic as originally described in the HF thread. The main difference is that TheBoom mic has several inches of wire to play with, whereas the Ety is too short and needs to be extended. The Ety wires also tend to fall into its boom spring and are hard to retrieve.

I'm telling you, this thing is EASY to make. I found out that TheBoom has periodic sales. TheBoom "O" can occasionally be had for $70. The Bluespoon (Ax2) can be had on ebay for <$25. I'm sure when TheBoom comes out with their own device it will cost close to $200. Honestly, I don't see why. The mic may be amazing, but the rest of the device (ear piece, head band, etc) is rather cheaply made.

I may buy a couple of Ax2's just to have backups (before they go away).
    That's good to hear. I felt like I was a neurosurgeon, soldering those tiny, hair-thin wires on the EM3 mike. I was amazed it worked when I put it all together. For that matter, neurosurgery is pretty amazing, too. I wonder if they are amazed when the patient wakes up. (I digress). It would be interesting to compare an AX2 Boom Pro with a AX2 Pro with the EM3 mike. FYI, I've seen the AX2 at Radio Shack for around $30.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAKozicki View Post
    It would be interesting to compare an AX2 Boom Pro with a AX2 Pro with the EM3 mike. FYI, I've seen the AX2 at Radio Shack for around $30.00.
    Yes, I would be interested as well. I had one of the very first Booms. They hadn't quite got it right yet. The mic was great but had some problems with wind (even with the windguard on it). The speaker volume was terrible. People could hear you fine in noisy environments but you couldn't hear anything. After quite some time they came out with the "eargel" that you glued on. Passable but still a long ways from great. It's still a regular speaker with some adaption towards an ear canal type. For some reason TV and voice on the radio was less than completely muted through the mike. And yes, you look like Emily Leutella wearing theBoom.

Now I've just about worn out my Ety. I REALLY like the minimalist headset. I love Etymotics ear canal speakers. I use the Ety 4s at work with a CD and amp. The headset has excellent voice quality. mic and speaker. They hadn't developed the wind guard when I talked to them about that and one of the engineers sent me a prototype of his for evaluation. It was rather big and crudely cut but worked better than the final product they came out with. Voice quality was not compromised at all and it was completely effective in a fairly stiff breeze. The noise canceling is not bad at all.

I'm extremely picky on audio quality in both directions.

I just migrated from my beloved Kyo 7135 to a VZW 700p and I really want a bluetooth solution. I immediately bought the Scala 600. Hey, it looks just like the 500 but smaller and newer. It's pathetic. I end up holding the phone in front of me or the crackle is overwhelming (apparently on both ends of the call). Sometimes the crackle is ok if I'm not walking around or moving (yes, I wear the treo on my belt on the same side as the ear I'm using the headset in -- it doesn't work on the other side...). It never loses the connection but the connection is terrible. The voice quality outbound is terrible as well. Inbound is ok and volume is good. I have nothing to compare against but this isn't usable. I'm just hoping the deficiency isn't in the Treo bluetooth.

I'm intrigued with the Invisio but leery. Bone conduction should eliminate wind noise/buffeting but I'm dubious it will be all that effective with ambient noise. If you are familiar with binaural recording and headphones you know that it's based on hearing sound from the left with your right ear with a delay and attenuation from passing through your face/head. So if your face/head conducts sound generated in your throat it's going to conduct sound generated outside your body as well. I would think they would have to incorporate noise canceling based on establishing a moving threshold relative to your speach... I don't know.

I guess I'll try an Ax2 if for nothing else than to compare the bluetooth performance. If I can't get markedly better bluetooth performance I'll stay wired rather than compromise.

Is the Ax2 comparable with the scala 500 (I've read lots of reviews so I'm just looking for a yes/no/pretty much with one or two words of qualification)?
    Is the Ax2 acceptable without modifying the mic?
    Is the Palm headset usable?
    Is there something inherently wrong/deficient with the 700p bluetooth?

Heh, it's taken me a month to migrate from 7135 to 700p... I've got time.

-Quick
    Last edited by Quick; 12/07/2006 at 11:56 PM.
    I saw the review of the "AX2 Pro" and decided to try it out. Unmodified, the volume is nowhere near as it needs to be, compared to my 510 which has great volume. Also, it wasn't comfortable in my ear. Due to this, I decided not to use it with the ETY mic. Now it just sits resealed in the package.

I ended up grafting the ETY mic on my Plantronics 510 and other than the slight delay with my Treo 650, it's about as perfect as it gets. I can't imagine the offering from "The Boom" being any better, but we'll see when it finally does come out.

FYI, there's now a source for "510 Pro's" on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Modified-Pla...QQcmdZViewItem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast