1.    #1  
    Just stumbled across this press release... Anyone know when this will be available to the public??

Instant Enjoyment Everywhere of TV, Music, and Video Collections From Home

EMERYVILLE, Calif., April 25 -- Orb Networks today announced their collaboration with Kinoma to bring Palm(R) Treo(TM) 650 users on any mobile network instant enjoyment everywhere of their all their home and Internet television, music, and videos.

Right from the Treo 650's native Blazer(R) Web browser, users will be able to select home or Internet TV, music, or video content of any media format to stream to the Kinoma(TM) player. The free, award-winning Orb(TM) application installed on the user's Windows(R) XP PC transcodes the original content's media format when necessary and provides a stream at the appropriate bitrate for the user's mobile data connection.

"With worldwide demand exploding for instant, not synced-in-advance, mobile access to TV, music and video from home and on the Internet, the Kinoma Player's upcoming support for RTSP streaming couldn't be more timely," said Ian McCarthy, Vice President of Product Marketing at Orb Networks. "With Orb on their home PCs and the Kinoma Player on their Palm handsets, the millions of Treo 650 users will be able to play any song from their home music collection whenever the mood strikes them or to watch the crucial moment of a FIFA World Cup(TM) match wherever they are."

The collaboration with Kinoma enables Orb to extend its industry-leading support for the instant enjoyment everywhere of home and Internet TV, music, and video to the millions of users of Palm Treo 650s.

"Kinoma is pleased to be working together with Orb Networks to allow users of Palm OS 5 connected devices to enjoy their home media while on-the-go," said Mitchell Weinstock, Vice President of Business Development, Kinoma, Inc. "By enhancing the next release of Kinoma Player to be compatible with Orb, Kinoma is again demonstrating its commitment to bringing innovative new digital media capabilities to the Palm OS platform."

Orb is available now for free download at www.orb.com.

About Orb Networks, Inc.
    Orb Networks is the pioneering developer of software and services that give people secure, free, and instant access to all their digital media everywhere. The award-winning Orb software makes it easy for consumers to enjoy their home and Internet TV, music, videos, photos, podcasts, and other digital content from mobile phones, PDAs, and laptops everywhere. Orb is a member of the DLNA and is a privately held company in Emeryville, California. For more information about Orb, please visit www.orb.com.

About Kinoma, Inc.
    Kinoma, Inc. is a privately held company dedicated to bringing outstanding digital media capabilities to handheld and mobile devices. Founded in 2002 by Peter Hoddie, former Chief Architect of QuickTime at Apple Computer, together with Brian Friedkin, Michael Kellner, and Mitchell Weinstock the Kinoma team has over 40 years combined experience designing and building industry leading digital media solutions and standards. For additional information visit Kinoma's Web site at www.kinoma.com.
    The website link said:
    PDAs

You can Orb on any Pocket PC that has Windows-Mobile or Windows-CE Operating System:

* Any Microsoft Windows 2002, 2003 or Mobile 5 PocketPC
    * Most HP iPaq devices
    * Most Dell Axim PDAs, including the Axim X50

Palm OS Devices

At this time, the only Palm OS device fully compatible with Orb is the Treo 700w. The Treo 600/650, and the Tungsten can be used in Orb for viewing photos but, since they do not have a built-in media player with streaming capability, they cannot at this time be used to stream TV, Video or Audio in Orb.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    The website link said:
    so so close....!

Maybe with the umm...release of "lowtide" ROM update in June with the built in pTunes, maybe that will count.

actually, this was written below the palm part:

You can Orb on any cell phone with a Web browser and either Windows Media Player, TCPMP, RealPlayer, or 3GP Player.
    so they support tcpmp for cell phones but not the palm tcpmp?
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/25/2006 at 11:27 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    so so close....!

Maybe with the umm...release of "lowtide" ROM update in June with the built in pTunes, maybe that will count.

actually, this was written below the palm part:

so they support tcpmp for cell phones but not the palm tcpmp?
    aint that something
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    That press release was given on April 25 and it's purpose was to announce support for Palm OS 5 devices, specifically the Treo 650. This is huge and means we definitely should have streaming TV sometime on the horizon on our Treos by using Orb and Kinoma.
    Here's the link for the 650 PRPRPR

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...nt_enjoym.html

Before Chipotle gets jumped on for posting a PRPRPR $about$ $an$ $as$ $yet$ $unavailable$ $product$ $which$ $peeps$ $may$ $assume$ $at$ $1st$ $read$ $is$ $available$ $and$ $then$ $get$ $disppointed$ $when$ $they$ $go$ $to$ $the$ $web$ $site$ $and$ $can$'$t$ $d$/$l$ $it$, $the$ $PR$ $does$ $indicate$ $that$ $this$ $is$ $forthcoming$:

"Orb Networks today announced their collaboration with Kinoma to bring Palm(R) Treo(TM) 650 users on any mobile network instant enjoyment everywhere of their all their home and Internet television, music, and videos."

"Right from the Treo 650's native Blazer(R) Web browser, users will be able to select home or Internet TV, music, or video content of any media format to stream to the Kinoma(TM) player. The free, award-winning Orb(TM) application installed on the user's Windows(R) XP PC transcodes the original content's media format when necessary and provides a stream at the appropriate bitrate for the user's mobile data connection."
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 04/26/2006 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added quotes
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Its just nice to know that at least they are thinking about it, and that it might be coming. I was thinking of a 700w, but if I might have the chance to stream my music and video and such from home, this will really make me think twice, I hated to lose all my good software I purchased for the PalmOS now I might not have to! Can't wait to see this!!!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    If streaming from Orb is important to you, I'd go ahead and get the 700w now. Orb says the required Kinoma player won't be available for 3 months...

http://forums.orb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2563
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I would much rather have the 700p than the w, I am just going to wait it out and eventually everything will all come together. I am tempted to just get a 700w though!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    I'm just real curious to see how it all streams on 1x. On the 6700 it obviously worked quite well (although I barely used it)...of course on the 'P' it should be fantastic.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    IF this does not support palm why does it show on the website a treo 650 running the software ?
    http://www.kinoma.com/products.html?player3
    As far as I know, Kinoma has always been a Palm developer, so it is not that their player doesn't support the 650, it's that they player doesn't yet support the type of streaming needed for Orb. As the earlier link to Orb's forum points out, it seems we're 3 months away from the version of Kinoma that supports the correct streaming technology.

As I stand here in line at the DMV (seriously), I really wish I had me some Orb right about now. Argh.
    For anyone else that's been following this, the folks at Kinoma haven't said anything beyond what is in that PRPRPR $announcement$. $I$'$ve$ $posted$ $on$ $their$ $forums$ $and$ $emailed$ $them$ $and$ $have$ $heard$ $nothing$. $Kinoma$'$s$ $website$ $has$ $no$ $mention$ $of$ $the$ $PR$ $announcement$ $anywhere$, $except$ $for$ $someone$ $who$ $posted$ $a$ $link$ $to$ $the$ $Orb$ $announcement$.

I would say "Hey, let's all ban together and bug them to death until we get some results!" - but frankly, it's just been too long of a wait for me to pursue any further.

Now to wait for a 700p.
    "the millions of Treo 650 users will be able to play any song from their home music collection whenever the mood strikes them or to watch the crucial moment of a FIFA World Cup(TM) match wherever they are"

So that means it will be out by early June?
    The new 700p should be able to access your Orb server at home from the new built-in streaming player. Or so I thought. Can anyone confirm?
    That is my understanding, Justa. At least based on the one sentence summary of the WMV streaming ability...
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justanotheruser
    The new 700p should be able to access your Orb server at home from the new built-in streaming player. Or so I thought. Can anyone confirm?
    Marcus did a little testing for us with the 700p review unit he has at the moment:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&postcount=16