Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. wahili's Avatar
    Posts
    622 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
       #1  
    I am looking for more productivity and organization methods using my Treo or I might go the way of the hPDA...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_pda

    any tips?
  2. #2  
    I came to the Treo 650 full of the GTD wisdom from whence came Hipster PDA.

    Any system that works with a Palm or the Hipster works with the Treo.

    For me the importance was having EVERYTHING in one place. Add a bluetooth headset so I can check my calendar while someone is calling to set a meeting.

    And I have dumbed down the GTD doctrine to suit myself and my needs.

    Organizations systems are an exercise in individual Darwinism. You've gotta make it evolve to meet your needs and your personality and your peculiar level of obsessive-compulsive disorder/a*al retentiveness. If you don't, the system will die.

    And that's true regardless of the tool you use, so don't think you HAVE to use a Treo. You don't.

    It just so happens that the Treo 650 is quite possibly the best tool ever created on God's green earth and if anyone ever happens to even think an evil thought about the Treo behind my back why, I'll . . . .
  3. #3  
    Having used the hPDA myself it definitely has its merits and I would encourage you to give it a try for a week. Personally I have found Thought Manager on my Treo to work very well for me but in the end I would suggest that it is your state of mind that matters and not where you capture your ideas, tasks or actions......
  4. #4  
    Productivity, an interesting topic. Like many, I depend on my Treo to increase my productivity or rather, to enhance my productivity. I use DateBook 6 and 2Day for tracking tasks that I just gotta get done. I use HanDBase to document what I do throughout the day. HanDBase is used to track where I go, what I do and at the end of the day, an activity report is based upon it. These applications are tied together with ZLauncher and at the day, BackupManager backs the Treo up for those just in case situations.

    I have test driven applications similar to those discussed above and came away each time with the feeling that something was missing. HanDBase by DDH Software is the answer to my producitivity. HanDBase and the Treo literally replaces my notebook (but don't ever think the 650 is my day-to-day cell phone, 'cause that it is not).

    Ben
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    (but don't ever think the 650 is my day-to-day cell phone, 'cause that it is not).

    Ben
    Any particular reason why you dont use the 650 for your regular cell?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by giff74
    Any particular reason why you dont use the 650 for your regular cell?
    My PDA is also my main data storage device at work, but my situation is a bit different. My TREO is my cellphone. I have another PDA. I just upgraded to a TREO 650 in the Verizon V710 settlement. I already own a Palm E2 and use it every day in my work. I cannot use the TREO at work because of the cell phone. My agency prohibits certain employees from possession "electronic communication devices" in the workplace.

    So I must drag and drop schedules and such to keep the calendar on the TREO updated. I have not yet figured a way to sync contacts and calendar entries between two different devices.

    Anyone else doing this successfully.

    b.b.
  7. #7  
    The reasons are: lousy Bluetooth operation. I drive a lot and keep rather busy. It is important for me to be able to have reliable bluetooth operation, not one that is as hit/miss in the quality area as the 650 is. My regular cell phone is a Nextel (Motorola) i605. The i605 is billed as a "complete" executive phone (sure, I never was able to master the multiple punches to get to a specific letter, email comes through to it really well, but trying to respond on it with my extreme dislike for its keypad causes ..., and frankly, it does not compare to the Treo. I do though use it for keeping routine alarms - it comes right to the ear with no help on my part).

    Number two: the volume issue. Working in a loud environment at times means the phone has to be loud and we all know the weakness there.

    Number three: battery life. The Sprint Treo 600 I had lasted the entire day; this one does not.

    As a PDA, I really like it, especially the keyboard and the ability to have push mail that is easy to work with. HanDBase is also very important to me. So, I'm a two-phone kind of guy.

    Ben

    ----------------------


    Quote Originally Posted by giff74
    Any particular reason why you dont use the 650 for your regular cell?
  8. #8  
    What carrier you have, phone type, what's running and what type of user you are will greatly affect those things:

    1. I find the Treo 650 - TWH w/ Jabra ear gel better than I have any right to expect.

    The ear speaker volume issue is primarily a Spint issue. CNG and Verizon are 12 dB louder.

    I charge my Treo every Friday night where it's about 30% charged by then .... TreoAlarm turns radio off 10 hours each night.
  9. wahili's Avatar
    Posts
    622 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
       #9  
    all good points here. i dont know if this paper shift can ever be me after having tried it. the whole idea of it is counter to my love of gadgetry. i do need to streamline notes etc. i have tried KeyNote so far and its not bad and stil need to try OneNote. Problem is neither sync to the treo. Thought manager seems interesting might have to give that a try.

    Honestly im plain sick and tired of such a horrible PHONE. the bluetooth is horrrrible and everyone always complains about the reception. its nothing new seeing as how ive used the Treo 600 since day 1 with all its weirdness but lately, with some of the competition I have to wonder how long i can stick it out.

    Even still, its the best smart phone on the US market at this moment except for the crap reception.
  10. #10  
    If you are a gadget nut (I am) then using gadgets to help with organization will mean you will be attracted to the task of keeping organized. Everything in your life is repelling you or attracting you.

    And as for the qualities of the Treo, I've come back after a tour with the MDA and with Blackberry. IMO the Treo is still the best, although other devices have their strong points.
  11. #11  
    My wife is a Blackberry user (Nextel releases) and loves it. I play with it and hate the keyboard, hate the limited functions, just don't plain like it. I upgrade to the 650 and give the wife the 600 and she is now talking about killing the Blackberry subscription and using it only as a phone. The 650 for me is great, though I still do not like its instability with some apps, the occasional reset for no reason, the ocassional reset with lost preferences for no reason, and so on. No reason you say? Hey, just walking from car to wherever and when I look down, it is at the phone screen. Not often, just enough to be annoying. I just do not trust it as completely as I did the 600.

    I was looking at the Windoz release, but the thought of changing carriers and so forth just does not go well with me.
    Ben
  12. #12  
    I'm still confused by those who went with the 700w.
    Why would you want a smaller screen and more expensive apps?
  13. #13  
    If I were an Outlook user, I would seriously look at a WM5 device and based upon the general ease of use, the Treo would be a perfect platform. However, as with any new product, there are going to be problems.

    I was a very early buyer of the Sprint 600 and had issues from the go; however, I stuck it out and have never looked seriously for another platform. I thought the 650 was a stable device based on the length of time it had been out. Well, stable for some and most of the time for me it is, though I still do not trust it as much as the 600. The new file system has been an issue that all of us hope to see totally taken care of. I understand the new Palm T/X is there. Ben
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    I'm still confused by those who went with the 700w.
    Why would you want a smaller screen and more expensive apps?
    Some shops are limited by IT talent. If all they have is MS capable folks, they ain't likely to favor anything else. Also if you use Exchange Server / Oulook as standard, there's gonna be some synergy there. Multimedia also has better support on the WM5 platform.....tho to me running MM on a phone is like having sex while the two of you are each tied in separate burlap sacks....ya can basically get the job done with a bit of effort but it sure comes up short of the unfettered experience.

    I would say Palm made a smart move ....kinda like Apple did with Boot Camp. People who love the snap and one handed operation and Treo vets I think will, for the most part stay with POS. But the WM5 move has brought in many peeps who otherwise would never have looked at a Treo.
  15. #15  
    My wife just asked me to reactivate the 600 (done) and this evening good bye Blackberry whatever it is. Ben
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    My wife just asked me to reactivate the 600 (done) and this evening good bye Blackberry whatever it is. Ben
    Done that. Now I have a Blackberry 7230 that I'll have to sell on Craigslist or somewhere. Gotta figure out how to wipe all my data first, thought. I'm a happy clam here with the Treo 650 again.
  17. #17  
    I personally think she should have waited for a 700, but she wanted to go now. Women! You see, I could have gotten the new phone, but don't tell her that. Ben

Posting Permissions