1.    #1  
    Dollars5.com is pleased to announce the RC1 release of 'Speak 4 Palm' to speak text from other applications. It utilizes Symbic Talker speech Engine. We have done this by integrating with the 'Edit Menu' as any good Palm OS application that utilizes text field will have an edit menu associated with it. Also you can select text, copy to clipboard and speak from Speak 4 Palm. Currently the software is out for beta.

Also as suggested by our internal beta testers we have developed a version that speaks much similar to natural voice and will fully run in background that you do not have to wait till Speak 4 Palm completes reading. But it requires connecting to our servers and downloading wav speech files. Sooner this version will be released for evaluation.

Requirements:
    - Palom OS version 5.0
    - SD card with at least 5 MB free for Symbic Talker Library

Instructions to install version 0.5 RC1
    - Install Symbic Talker from http://www.symbic.com/SymbicTalker.html
    - Install Speak4Palm.prc (Enclosed with this thread)

Post your feedback as replies. Our site will be up in a weeks time.

-$5
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Nice, I will try it...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    installed the two Symbic Talker files to the card launcher directory, and the Speak4Palm.prc to the handheld... I have the speak 4 palm in my menu options, but when I click it, I get the message could not install text-to-speak... I get the same message when I go to the speak 4 palm app
    What is the point of this (these) application(s)?
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    What is the point of this (these) application(s)?
    pure laziness lol That's what I would use it for, if I could get it to work... I sometimes read the washington post online on my treo, I would just copy and paste a article into a memo, and have the treo read it to me via my bt headphones
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    installed the two Symbic Talker files to the card launcher directory, and the Speak4Palm.prc to the handheld... I have the speak 4 palm in my menu options, but when I click it, I get the message could not install text-to-speak... I get the same message when I go to the speak 4 palm app
    the dat should go to the SD card's Launcher directory, the prc should be in the Treo's RAM. Did you use the Internet install from Symbic - it should have done it neatly for you.

Just drag the prc associated with symbic talker to install on RAM - things should work fine.

-$5
    Moving the symbic talker prc to the ram did the trick... I ran the exe, but I checked the box that said install to card if present, maybe I should have left that unchecked.

I will test it out some more in the am... But a womans voice would definitely be appreciated
    How much will this app?

Also, it slows down treo 650 too much. Enabling the "integrate with edit Menu", pocketinternal speedtest increased from 10 sec to 23 sec, can't acceptable so far.

But pretty promising app.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    How do you get this to read your memos or do you have to copy and paste every memo into this program?
  10.    #10  
    For memos you can launch the application from the edit menu Speak4Palm option.

All you have to do is: click on the field in Memo -> select Menu -> Select Edit Menu -> Click on the last option Speak 4 Palm - viola it speaks for you.

-$5
    Thank you
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollars5
    We have done this by integrating with the 'Edit Menu' as any good Palm OS application that utilizes text field will have an edit menu associated with it.
    I would think two programs that you would want to use this with would be a web browser and email. Neither of which work for me using Blazer and Snappermail. It does show up under the "edit menu" in Blazer but doesn't work. It does not show in Snappermail at all. Yes, I can copy and paste but that isn't going to make this program really useable.

My 2
    I agree with the Snappermail comment. The main reason I would want a program like this is to listen to my email while I am driving.
    It does work in email program. The reason you can't hear anything is because the focus may be in a button at that moment. For example, in chattermail, it won't read anything when the email is open because the default focus is OK button, but when you reply that email, the focus moves to the text area, now the speak4palm can read the whole email.

The only "catch" here is speak4palm can't stop without reading the whole email, so if the email is long, you may miss some important call or reminder. The speed and volume of the speaking engine can't be tweaked either.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    How about SMS? Is it integrated with the native SMS app pretty well?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  16.    #16  
    I am currently out for vacation - 2 weeks. So after I am back I will work on bringing a version that will not interfere with your actions (it will upload text to server, convert to wav and stream for you - and will speak as a pocket tunes plays any audio file) - and it is gonna have excellant natural voice quality.

Now - for a sentance like "Does it Speak?" - is pronounced as Does+It+Speak - and the new version will say it as though a human spells it - and more improtant - it is gonna have a female voice aswell (Gals can select a male voice if they need ).

Also I will integrate with almost every application that has a text display, reduce the time taken in the edit menu operations (noted by cellneuron) - wait till then.

bye from
    -$5.
    this is nice, but it conflicts with resco backup,whenever I do a backup the phone always crashes, but if I don't have speak4palm on the treo I can complete a backup with no problems. so for now I can't have it on the phone , but in the palm/launcher directory.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503
    this is nice, but it conflicts with resco backup
    Doesn't seem to conflict for me.
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
  19.    #19  
    I think it is due to the Gold old NVFS problem - will fix it soon

- $5
  20.    #20  
    Hi All,

We are pulling this product out of production as we have our partner implement it.

Thanks for your support.

-$5
    Last edited by Dollars5; 09/25/2006 at 10:06 PM.