Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I just purcashed a Treo 650 from Amazon.com ( $99 after rebates with only a 1 year contract via Verizon)

I should get the Treo on Tuesday afternoon, but I will also be traveling a lot the next several days leaving the same day. So I don't know if I should active it when I recieve it, or when I return, as I will have very little time with it

Was wondering how easy it is to use/set-up right from the box? I have a Palm Tungsten C with all my contacts, so I am hoping it will very simply to synch them into my 650 with little difficulty.

And/or is there any 3rd party apps that is critical to have from the very beginning.

Thank you
    I think you can use it right out of the box with no problem. Especially since you're already a Palm user. As you have time you'll decide what extra's are critical to you and add them but as far as I'm concerned there's no reason to lug two devices around when you can reduce it to one.
    One man's opinion. I'd wait to activate the 650 'til you've returned. Presuming you need a phone (and the pda) during your travels, it would be a tough situation if the brand new 650 developed a problem. It would appear that new 650's are stable out of the box with no 3rd party apps added (mine was) but weigh the risk of not having a working device.
    NOTE: Make sure you do not synch you're 650 with you're existing palm desktop software. Follow the install directions carefully.
    It should work well right out of the box. However, don't just sync all your data from the TC into the Treo. I.E. set up a different username or rename the palm username backup folder on your computer. Install the apps you want individually. At first, you might want to just use the basic apps. Make sure you install the new Palm software that comes with your Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    It should work well right out of the box. However, don't just sync all your data from the TC into the Treo. I.E. set up a different username or rename the palm username backup folder on your computer. Install the apps you want individually. At first, you might want to just use the basic apps. Make sure you install the new Palm software that comes with your Treo.
    EXACTLY !!

Do not just Hot Sync directly to your Tungsten C userid -- you will create a brick. Do a clean install:

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    EXACTLY !!

Do not just Hot Sync directly to your Tungsten C userid -- you will create a brick. Do a clean install:

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

Cheers, Perry.

Thank you for the advice/information ( from reading the posts, I will probably wait until I return to activate)

I do not use Palm DeskTop to store my data but MS Outlook 2000 (I installed KeySuite to be able to sych) and all my contacts, calendars, are in Outlook not Palm DeskTop.

Does this matter?

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeHere
    Thank you for the advice/information ( from reading the posts, I will probably wait until I return to activate)

I do not use Palm DeskTop to store my data but MS Outlook 2000 (I installed KeySuite to be able to sych) and all my contacts, calendars, are in Outlook not Palm DeskTop.

Does this matter?

Thank you
    I believe the instructions will still work -- your PIM data will just come down from Outlook. But do the 650 install CD first -- you can choose Outlook during the install and it puts other 650 necessary conduits in place, as well.

The key thing is to not bring third party software settings from the Tungsten C forward to the 650 -- and the clean install process does this by renaming the backup folder and then installing 3rd party apps fresh.

You will have to reinstall KeySuite fresh.

Cheers, Perry.