1.    #1  
    Ok... I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, but I stumbled across it by accident so I thought I'd pass it along.

My Seidio retractable 2-in-1 headset flaked out about 3 months after I got it. A bit of reading showed that this is not uncommon. I didn't want to waste more money on another Seidio headset so I went looking for other solutions.

I was pretty picky about replacement earphones because I'm addicted to the headset button. I travel in my car a lot and am constantly listening to podcasts. The headset button --in conjunction with Headset Control program -- both navigates my pTunes and answers/disconnects/redials the phone. The only time I have to interact with the Treo's screen is to hit the Favorites button to launch VoiceLauncher when I want to dial out (and then, usually, manually dial the number after VoiceLauncher continually dials the wrong number ).

Anyway. I saw another post here that mentioned the Insten Headset Adapter . It's a 2.5-to-3.5mm adapter with a headset button and a mic. Just plug it in an use whatever standard earphones you like for both pTunes and calls. Sounded perfect. I ordered 2. They work fine, as advertised.

What I didn't realize until after a couple weeks of using them was that I could hook my Treo up directly to my car stereo. I have an old-fangled tape deck, so I use a standard tape adapter. When used in conjuncton with the Heaset Adapter, I can both take calls and listen to podcats over my car's speakers.

Okday... it's not a GREAT solution.... you need a tape deck (or some other input), and a tape adapter, but if you use the heaset button for pTunes then it's a pretty cheap solution.
    How does the MIC work while you are in the car? Is it clipped to you shirt? My treo mounts on my dash. I have a 3.5mm connector to the car radio. I would like to use this so that I can listen to music and answer calls. Are you listening to the callers voice through your car speakers?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    How does the MIC work while you are in the car? Is it clipped to you shirt?
    Yes. Actually, I usually clip it to my seat belt, but shirt would be fine, too. The mic, volume dial, and headset button are all on the clip.

Are you listening to the callers voice through your car speakers?
    Yes. It's a simple audio-out,so if your stereo has an input (the tape adapter in my case) then you can listen to both music and callers over the car speakers. You can do this with any 2.5-to-3.5mm adapter. It's the mic and headset button on this adapter that allows you to turn it into a hands-free kit.
    I ordered two adapters to try it out. The connector intmy car radio is a 3.5mm plug. It has a 2.5mm converter attached to the end to plug it into my Treo. I hope there is a good length of cable on the unit so I can clip it somewhere.

Do you think the MIC is sensitive enough to be place on the dash?
  5.    #5  
    I hope there is a good length of cable on the unit so I can clip it somewhere.
    There is plenty of cable. I would guess 24 - 30 inches. That is one of the downsides of using this - a lot of cable. The adapter itself has a couple of feet of cable, and your headphones/adapter adds another couple of feet. My next project is to find a set of headphones I like and find a way to taper the cord without it looking like I just slapped some duct tape on.

Do you think the MIC is sensitive enough to be place on the dash?
    Yes. The quality isn't very good from a distance, though -- basically like a bad speakerphone. But I'm told I sound find when it's clipped to my seatbelt.
    Does the music pause when you click the answer button? And unpause when the call ends?

I keep pondering some cleaner way to listen to music and talk too, this might be a good thing. Wear my over the ear buds with the phone in its pouch, etc.

BTW, you might try 1.5" or so inch bundles of cord with a black tie wrap in the middle or near both ends. Don't pull too tight. Might make it look a little neater than wires everywhere.
    I use Aeroplayer and the music does stop when a call comes in.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Does the music pause when you click the answer button? And unpause when the call ends?
    Yes, for Pocket Tunes at least. When the phone rings the music stops.... If I ignore the call, pTunes picks up where it left off when the caller goes to voicemail. If I answer the call, same deal... pTunes also picks up where it left off when the caller hangs up or when I hit the headset button.

BTW, you might try 1.5" or so inch bundles of cord with a black tie wrap in the middle or near both ends. Don't pull too tight. Might make it look a little neater than wires everywhere.
    Thanks. Yeah, I ended up coiling the bottom of some earphones' cord with some electrical tape and it looks Ok. I usually route the cables under my shirt anyway so most people won't see the hack.
    Nice, I'll have to pick that up then.. I listen with a Belkin Tunecast II in the car, but headphones would be nice to have.. Oh, one more question..

How big is the microphone piece? Is it really obvious? It seems to be fairly large.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    How big is the microphone piece? Is it really obvious? It seems to be fairly large.
    It's only slightly larger that the Seidio mic/button, if you have one of those for reference -- but it's more "blocky". I don't have it with me, but would guess it's roughly 1.25" x .75".
    I got my Insten Headset Adapter today. It's a very clever design and you can't beat the price. I hooked it up to my car set up. I can clip the adapter to my seatbelt which should put the MIC close enough for decent sound. The wire from the adapter runs to my Treo which is mounted on my car dashboard. The 3.5mm plug accepts the cable that is wired into my car radio. Now I can listen to MP3s on my Treo and answer calls when they come in without having to fumble with any cables.

The only missing feature for me it to have the button on the Insten adapter allow me to pause/play Aeroplayer. Does the button work on Ptunes?
  12.    #12  
    The only missing feature for me it to have the button on the Insten adapter allow me to pause/play Aeroplayer. Does the button work on Ptunes?
    I got a program called Headset Control that enables this. It allows you use the headset button to control various functions in your phone, pTunes and/or Aeroplayer (I wish it supported mOcean - I love the iPod-esque clickwheel interface). I have single-click set launch pTunes/pause/play, double-click set to skip, and long-click redials the last number dialed. I think Magic Button from Toysoft provides similar functionality.

My only complaint with this adapter after using it a while is that the volume dial seems almost useless. It goes from mute to full volume.
    After a few weeks of use on the Insten adapter it is being retired. I was clipping the MIC to my seatbelt and people we saying that they could not hear me. I switched back to my Jabra wired headset.

Since I use my Treo to listen to MP3 through my car speakers when I call comes in I have to fumble with taking off the audio out and plugging in the headset.

What about putting a Y adapter on the Treo with one connection going to the car radio and the other going to my jabra headset? Any chance that a Y connector would work?
    I hook my treo to my car stereo through a FM transmitter, I can listen to my music and when I get a call I just answer it, I can hear the person just fine over my car stereo and they can hear me fine over the treo's microphone. Itís awesome. It's a low budget car kit for my treo. It works great. The music stops as soon as a call comes in so I know I have a call. Maybe one day Iíll get a mount on the dashboard so it looks cool too.
    Tech Review Blog
    Tungsten T > Zire 72 > Treo 650
    Ripliancum - Where do you place the MIC? Are you using VolumeCare to adjust the pickup volume on the MIC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripliancum View Post
    I hook my treo to my car stereo through a FM transmitter, I can listen to my music and when I get a call I just answer it, I can hear the person just fine over my car stereo and they can hear me fine over the treo's microphone. Itís awesome. It's a low budget car kit for my treo. It works great. The music stops as soon as a call comes in so I know I have a call. Maybe one day Iíll get a mount on the dashboard so it looks cool too.
    Could you describe your setup in more detail? It sounds like what I'd like to use.

Since I already use a tape adapter with my XM radio input, the FM transmitter would be necessary to avoid having to switch tape adapters, ugh!

Info on brand and where bought (FM adapter) please.

How does the switching from music to call work?

Thanks for your answer,

GeneL