Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=186018

NV Backup is outta Beta...author reports it works on 650 backing up to SD Card.
    I'd be too afraid to rely on a freeware backup tool = ouch
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    If someone is brave enough to attempt a restore with this, please post your results. It never hurts to have redundant backup files!
    I use Backup Plus that came off the Sprint 650 CD. I had to restore the other day when i was away from home and my Treo went into a reset loop after upgrading to ZLauncher 5.41. I E-Mailed myself the prc of Backup Plus and installed OTA and then restored back to a backup I made a couple days prior. Everything was back to how I had it. Worked great.

To me, the only reason to pay for a backup program is if you don't remember to backup and you want to set it on a schedule.
    I would rather rely on a freeware/open source backup solution than on a pay-ware solution where the producer might decide one day to stop support whenever I get in trouble with its backup tool. NVBackup does work great here, with compression, selective restore and automatically backup, even in sets.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    I use NV Backup, restored today with no problems. Excellent, no frills software, can't beat the price. The developer (Alex Pruss) is also a pleasure to deal with--fantastic support, he has done some nice commentaries/Bible versions for Palm Bible+ too. Highly recommend his software.

I switched from my other backup programs to use this one, in part b/c of the small footprint, and in part b/c I like the developer's track record.
    -------------------------------
    Palm III > Palm IIIxe > Samsung I300 (Verizon) > Tungsten W (ATT) > Treo 300 (Sprint)> Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (Cingular)
    I tested the restore and the cicle options on this program. I restored from two different cicles and I can happily say that the restores went flawless.

I really appreciate the programmer's work. It seems to work fine and it is very quick on the backup process, as it only copies to the SD card the files that have been changed or have been modified.

GB
    Backed up, did a hard reset, restored.

No problems at all. This is a fantastic app!

Thanks for the heads up, Jack!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Ermm... One problem though... It doesn't automatically backup, in accordance to a scheduled time, as I am using a auto lock feature on my Treo.. Is there a workaround?

Fantastic software anyway.. =0)
    Has anyone used NVbackup? I just started using it today. it works great. Backs up Java. But the best part is is that it is free.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodID=121637
    Attached Files Attached Files
    It's free...but it doesn't keep the forums free of clutter!

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=112521
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    <merged>
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    I'd be too afraid to rely on a freeware backup tool = ouch
    It's kind of funny, but I didn't want to trust a backup tool I didn't have source code to and that I knew crashes when combined with unstable software (if I am not mistaken, all other backup programs are fairly bad in respect of stability), which is why I wrote NVBackup. :-)

That said, when you go with a commercial tool, at least you can sue somebody if it fails. :-)
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Just reporting another happy user of NVBackup. I tried to install Blackberry Connect and got an endless reset loop. Hard reset and restore got me back up and running painlessly. Thanks.
    Works great for me.
    Does this back up pics? I don't think any of the backup programs I have tried back up pics and videos since they are stored in a different area than the regular programs.

Seems like they are stored on a hidden volume called BUILTIN and then in a folder called "Photos & Videos"
    Last edited by albertb; 05/11/2006 at 01:27 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pruss
    It's kind of funny, but I didn't want to trust a backup tool I didn't have source code to and that I knew crashes when combined with unstable software (if I am not mistaken, all other backup programs are fairly bad in respect of stability), which is why I wrote NVBackup. :-)

That said, when you go with a commercial tool, at least you can sue somebody if it fails. :-)
    Welcome to TC Pruss.....nice job. You making me regret buying the BlueNomad bundle last year.....BackupBuddy kept wreaking havoc during ROM upgrades so I removed it and you just made the VFS tool redundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    Works great for me.
    Does this back up pics? I don't think any of the backup programs I have tried back up pics and videos since they are stored in a different area than the regular programs.

Seems like they are stored on a hidden volume called BUILTIN and then in a folder called "Photos & Videos"
    Resco Backup does backup photos when you do a "drive" backup. The program has been stable for me. If I'd had problems, I'd definitely look into the NV program.

I have mine set to do a standard backup (all apps, docs, etc.) at 11:00. Then do a "drive" backup 30 minutes later for the photos. It's easy to transfer photos from the card to the PC with a card reader.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    Does this [NV Backup] back up pics? I don't think any of the backup programs I have tried back up pics and videos since they are stored in a different area than the regular programs.

Any answer to this?

Anyone tried this on a 700p yet?

The palmgear site says it supports encryption, which is cool... I waited a couple years for BackupMan to incorporate that after I registered 1.X, then had to pay for 2.X to get it.

ERic
    Here's my experience with a Treo700p:

I did a full backup using NVBackup, a hard reset, and a full restore. I then checked all applications --

I found three apps with "curiosities":

1) eReader: needed its license re-entered. But this could have been from a previous hard reset/restore using another backup problem previously

2) LupusP: needed its license re-entered. This seemed to be new

3) OnGuard: didn't "backup" the apps I'd flagged in it while in them, until I opened and closed OnGuard.

However, now I've gotten crashes at the end of the last couple HotSyncs. CrashPro reports that it's either Zlauncher (which I suspect as a red herring) with

ZLauncher 5.42b4 Emul68KMain.c,Line:456, line 1111 exception at address 730A0DC8

or

SlideshowToGo 8.001 StringMgr.c,Line 68: NULL string passed.

Note: I've never opened SlideshowToGo, other than opening Documents.

A HotSync after a Warm Reset runs without crash.

Subsequent HotSyncs with only a Soft Reset now run fine.

Regards,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Interesting. I take it that the restore gave no error messages? I wonder if the dates getting set back are an issue?

I am guessing that some databases must have been corrupted in the backup-and-restore process. This is unfortunate. Not having a 700P, this is going to be hard to test. Maybe the Simulator will help. What is LupusP?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast