1.    #1  
    The 1.17 firmware "upgrade" for the Cingular 650 was touted to improve the sound quality of telephone calls, etc. Wrong! After downloading the "upgrade, the phone's audio quality is still terrible, and possibly a little worse. Also, I can call another Cingular phone number while sitting within 100 feet of a Cingular antenna array and the ring tones sound like a dirt bike running on bad gasoline. Is there a 3rd party app I can use to make this thing at least SOUND like a phone? TIA.
    There is Volume Care, but from what I can tell this only makes the phone louder, it didn't seem to do ANYTHING EQ wise to make the sound quality any better.... I'll be looking at this thread to see if there are suggestions that actually make the phone sound better... my wife says I sound like I'm underwater in a oxygen suit.....

John "Skippy" Lehmkuhl
    Music, Production, Drum Programming, Sound Design
    Programmer for Korg Synthesizers
    Skippy's Big Bad Beats & NoizBox are now Stylus RMX Xpanders !!
    Nature Photographer

G5 Dual 2.7Ghz, RME Digiface, Logic 7.1.1, Tiger

-end transmission-
    For ringtones, try bluetoothing some short .wav files to your Treo and use them as ringtones. If they still sound bad, then it is most likely a hardware issue.

And with regard to call quality, get the Plantronics Voyager 510 with Windstop (the new version). It's an amazing bluetooth headset. Caller sounds cristal clear, as do you to the caller. Also, can use in the car with the window down with no problem. Windstop works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by billwill
    The 1.17 firmware "upgrade" for the Cingular 650 was touted to improve the sound quality of telephone calls, etc. Wrong! After downloading the "upgrade, the phone's audio quality is still terrible, and possibly a little worse. Also, I can call another Cingular phone number while sitting within 100 feet of a Cingular antenna array and the ring tones sound like a dirt bike running on bad gasoline. Is there a 3rd party app I can use to make this thing at least SOUND like a phone? TIA.
    I wonder if being too close to an antenna can cause problems too. I am thinking about installing an antenna booster in my house but the instructions stress that problems will occur if you don't locate the outdoor antenna and indoor antenna a minimum distance apart.