Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    I'm toying with the idea of using my treo gps when biking. It would sure be great to not have to keep stopping and checking maps. The only question is, how to mount it? To make things worse, I ride a recumbent bike.

    Has anyone tried this?
  2. #2  
    I use the Krusell BikeHolderkit which works with their standard Spring Clip. The Spring Clip is often, but not always, bundled with their cases.
  3. #3  
    Hey when ya find a power generator that will work with the Seidio GPS cradle, I am interested. I remember seeing a little friction roller thing that generated 5v/12v years back but darned is I could find it again.
  4. k1dude's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg_oz
    I use the Krusell BikeHolderkit which works with their standard Spring Clip. The Spring Clip is often, but not always, bundled with their cases.
    It appears the phone holder obscures the screen while in the pouch. To use the phone as a GPS device while riding, you need to be able to see the screen.
  5. #5  
    Pouch? Huh? The Bikeholderkit is just a small plastic thing that the Spring Clip clips into. It's probably 1/2 the size of my Treo. It has a strong spring that retains the Spring Clip and stops your PDA jumping off the bike.

    http://www.krusell.se/productMulti.p...75&category=13
  6. #6  
    Proclip also makes a (pricey) bike mount... but not sure if theres any suitable mounting locations on a recumbent...

    http://www.proclipusa.com/?section...
  7. #7  
    Somthing about cycling and GPS just doesn't go together.

    Am I way off base?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHelix
    Somthing about cycling and GPS just doesn't go together.

    Am I way off base?
    Why would cycling and GPS not go together? GPS can be used for more than just navigation in a car. There are many people that enjoy doing long cycling trips, so I'm sure GPS would come in very handy for those trips.
  9. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    #9  
    i have used the Krusell case and bike mount. It works ok. how ever, have not found a way to power the Treo.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    i have used the Krusell case and bike mount. It works ok. how ever, have not found a way to power the Treo.
    I wonder if the Solio Solar Charger would work.
  11. #11  
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I want to do the same thing, but have read here questions concerning powering the unit.

    If you have a GPS solution for the Treo, must you have it plugged in to a charger for it to work?
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
  12. #12  
    Bluetooth units run 10-12 hours on a charge, such as the Holux 236 or Globalsat 238 (I think that's the right number, you can find it easy searching here..)

    They're also sensitive enough to leave the GPS itself in a pack and the Bluetooth would be fine a few feet away. Still have to figure out powering/securing the Treo..
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I want to do the same thing, but have read here questions concerning powering the unit.

    If you have a GPS solution for the Treo, must you have it plugged in to a charger for it to work?
    Batteries in the BT receiver will last a lot longer than the Treo....don't pedal more than about 4 hours from ya house with ya Treo fully charged when ya leave....ya might not be able to call anyone and say "I am too damn tired to pedal bacl"
  14. #14  
    So, in essence, neither unit needs to be plugged into power to work on the bike?
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
  15. #15  
    Exactly.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Hey when ya find a power generator that will work with the Seidio GPS cradle, I am interested........
    I find the battery life on both the Treo and the HOLUX 236 both to be adequate for a day of biking. While I have power for both in the car, I often do not bother to plug them in.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle
    So, in essence, neither unit needs to be plugged into power to work on the bike?
    Depends....

    1. battery powered devices that's true.....devcies like the Seidio cradles need to have a power sourec cause receiver has no batteries.....it's powered from ya ciggie lighter.

    2. As long as ya battery lasts the unit works.....figure 4-5 hours....a bit less if the phone radio is on with CDMA burning it up faster than the GSM ones.
  18. truoc444's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    #18  
    i got a battery extender charger. it uses 4 AA batteries and i just flip a switch and it charges my treo. if i use the lithium batteries in it i can get 5-6 full charges out of one set of batteries.
    "Never Put off until tomorrow
    what you can do the day after tomorrow"
    --Mark Twain

    PalmIII => Sony Clie' => Dell Axim X30 => Treo 650 and loving it
  19. #19  
    Truoc444, link?
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I find the battery life on both the Treo and the HOLUX 236 both to be adequate for a day of biking. While I have power for both in the car, I often do not bother to plug them in.
    For routine rides it's fine....up to 4 -5 hours. A combination of a lack of off road software, my tendency to hit the dirt I(I'll heal, Treo probably won't) at least 3 times a ride ....

    1. damn tree jumped out in front of me
    2. came just short of topping that steep uphill and when couldn't pedal last few yards, couldn't clip out in time.
    3. That log, rock, ditch, whatever sure didn't look that big from the top of the hill.

    ....and when I really need a GPS, it's on an epic ride (1 - 7 days) @ 6 or more hours a day.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions