Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't use any mail or chat programs (but I do use it as a wireless modem, thanks Shadowmite) and mine crashes basically only under one scenario, namely when I Hotsync via Bluetooth (to my Mac). After the restart it Hotsyncs fine. If I intentionally soft reset then immediately Hotsync it works fine. So it's not a significant issue, but I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and/or a cure?
    A buddy of mine has a new Treo, the only apps loaded are Chattermail and Verichat....he has resets. If he shuts down either one of those apps he's golden....but apparently they don't play nicely with each other.

I use Verichat, but not Chattermail. Versamail is more than enough for me. No crashes, but I do perform routine soft resets.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    mines been crash free for about a month though I have mine set to reboot every night
    How does one set the Treo to automatically reboot every night? This sounds like it might be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    A buddy of mine has a new Treo, the only apps loaded are Chattermail and Verichat....he has resets. If he shuts down either one of those apps he's golden....but apparently they don't play nicely with each other.

I use Verichat, but not Chattermail. Versamail is more than enough for me. No crashes, but I do perform routine soft resets.
    Don't forget that this is VeriChat's problem... The author of Chattermail says so, he must be right/unbiased/etc..

I too use VeriChat 24/7 in online SMS mode, and *never* have a problem out of it except twice it's reset when receiving a message inside of VeriChat in the menus or preferences or something.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    My Treo crashes about once every other day, and it's always because of Verichat. Too bad - for my needs - it's still the best chatting option around...
    Funny, I'm using Verichat, too, and it crashes only once a week. I use Verichat daily, too...Check to see you're running vers. 2.89b.

I was running Butler 3.51...but since I updated to 3.53/3.6, no more crashes.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I too use VeriChat 24/7 in online SMS mode, and *never* have a problem out of it except twice it's reset when receiving a message inside of VeriChat in the menus or preferences or something.
    IMHO this is because VeriChat forces the LED to Orange when it detects an incoming SMS from the Verichat server...SMS also will try to flash the LED green to indicate that an incoming SMS is there...so I think therein lies a conflict that could be causing these resets. When you're in Verichat, an SMS is not used, so no LED conflict.

I have put in an enhancement request to the PDAApps to not mess with the LED on an incoming SMS--If I am right, that should correct this occasional problem.

Note that you will never see the incoming message (it is LOST forever) because of the reset.

7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    mines been crash free for about a month though I have mine set to reboot every night
    Mine is not set to reset everynight. I'd be afraid of losing Saved_preferences. Although, IMHO, ironically, it's probably an indication of a problem within Saved_preferences to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Don't forget that this is VeriChat's problem... The author of Chattermail says so, he must be right/unbiased/etc..

I've personally had problems with Vericrash without even running Chatter, so how about we drop the sarcasm? We all know some people have problems with specific apps due to any number of variables...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com
    Funny, I'm using Verichat, too, and it crashes only once a week. I use Verichat daily, too...Check to see you're running vers. 2.89b.

I was running Butler 3.51...but since I updated to 3.53/3.6, no more crashes.
    Yep, I'm running the most current version. And those guys are slow at updating, too...

Butler used to be a problem for me too(ESPECIALLY in conjunction with RealPlayer), but recent versions seemed to have stopped that. I get a crash due to Verichat once every 2 days, which I can tolerate, given the competition(Causerie blows).
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com
    Mine is not set to reset everynight. I'd be afraid of losing Saved_preferences. Although, IMHO, ironically, it's probably an indication of a problem within Saved_preferences to begin with.
    I never set mine to reset at a specific time. Verichat and MobiTV handle that task for me quite nicely:-P
    Chatter and Causerie are a far more stable combination than Chatter and Verichat. I suspect Verichat does 'interesting' things to maintain the background connection that Chatter and Causerie pay better attention too. That would explain why Verichat runs nicely without Chatter and vice versa.

P.S. My last reset was last night when trying out the 10 day trial of VoiceSecureIt. Deleted that app quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    Chatter and Causerie are a far more stable combination than Chatter and Verichat. I suspect Verichat does 'interesting' things to maintain the background connection that Chatter and Causerie pay better attention too. That would explain why Verichat runs nicely without Chatter and vice versa.

P.S. My last reset was last night when trying out the 10 day trial of VoiceSecureIt. Deleted that app quickly.
    Not if you use CDMA they aren't. Just check out my thread in the Causerie forum for evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAKozicki
    How does one set the Treo to automatically reboot every night? This sounds like it might be helpful.
    Hi. I would like to know the answer to this too. Thanks!
    no time for links now, but search for freeware "lookatme" & "mreset"
    LookAtMe is the utility you want to use - it works like a champ. The program is not supported any more and you cannot register it. Hence as in my case, I am stuck with a maximum of two events. Ben
    So I guess the trade-off for added functionality is decreased stability, it seems. The peeps who's Treos almost never crash don't use much third-party software.

Just as a clarification, I have 104 "applications" on my Treo according to Tracker Dog. At least half of them I would guess are in ROM, or came on the Palm CD. A bunch of little apps that load off SD card, perform a function and then go away are not going to impact stability. Even larger programs, which load and close don't generally cause problems. OTOH programs which need huge amounts of memory, are "memory resident (i.e alarms), hook into the OS functions, or "hack" coded functions can contribute to resource shortages or cause conflicts. It's not how many programs ya got but how many 1) resource grabbing 2) conflict causing or 3) not quite debigged programs you have. Like the "oil and water" thing sometimes two programs just don't mix well.
    I win! Somehow my log shows the last crash on 1/26/27. Either my crash has not happened yet, or it occured back in the 1920's. This change just showed up this morning. My last reset was actually about two weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I win! Somehow my log shows the last crash on 1/26/27. Either my crash has not happened yet, or it occured back in the 1920's.

I also have bunches of apps, though not the 100+ and yes, I do have crashes and lost preferences, et cetera. I recently gave Preference Doctor a run for a couple of days and subsequently purchased it. After one messup on my part, I have no longer lost the preference file. The two programs I primarily run are HanDBase, ChatterEmail+, along zLauncher, CradleCare and BackupManager. I also use throughout the day the SMS program on my Sprint Treo 650. I have HanDBase on the SD card and it runs via zLauncher. ChatterEmail+ is in main memory. I have about 10MB or so available in main memory.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast