boy that sure is plain jane....
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  2.    #3  
    Hey, whaddya want for nuthin
    Keyring works well too, and has conduits for JPilot, maybe the windows Palm Desktop too.
    STRIP from zetetic.net is my freeware choice

And AFAIR Palm version of SplashID (i.e. without deskop part) is free too.
    Last edited by ScudB; 04/21/2006 at 07:06 PM.
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ScudB
    STRIP from zetetic.net is my freeware choice

And AFAIR Palm version of SplashID (i.e. without deskop part) is free too.
    I just started looking into these programs this week, so this thread is very timely.

I have heard through the years that the Palm component of SplashID is free. So I downloaded and installed it. Upon starting the program, it wanted a registration ID, and said it wouldn't continue working past 30 days.

Now, I'm almost certain that the palm version of SplashID *was* free during some sort of promotion, and if anyone has links or info, it would be appreciated. If you aren't using the desktop component, however, I think 350kb for a password protector is a little heavy on the memory requirement.

I did a forum search last week and found a reference to YAPS (Yet Another Password Store), a freeware program that uses 256 bit blowfish encryption. There is a windows component that lets one interact with the password file, but it costs $9. I always have my PDA with me, so I don't need a desktop component.

The interface is a tad basic, but the program is very stable, and only 55kb or so. It is sort of "free-form" in its field usage: there's Name, Location, User ID, Password, Info, and a Notes screen for each entry. You can use Palm Categories to segregate things (I have Bank/Card Accounts, Websites, MyWebsites, and Misc - for things like padlock combinations) if you have a jillion entries. You can find it at: http://www.msbsoftware.ch/yaps.html

In general, if a program like this doesn't talk about what encryption it uses, and if that encryption isn't some industry standard system, then I would stay away from it. History is littered with stories of home-grown encryption systems that were cracked far easier than their inventors ever thought possible.

Hope this helps. Keep the recommendations coming - perhaps we can find the best password storage program between the lot of us.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    SplashID is free It's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    SplashID is free It's great.
    Please stop saying things like this without providing a link that says it is so. The Splash website does NOT say this anywhere that I can find, and I looked for a long time yesterday. I hope I just overlooked something.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro