Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    now that Palm/MS/Verizon has released the update to allow Direct Push on the 700w, can someone tell me what the advantages/disadvantages to using GoodLink vs. the native MS apps with Push?

Also, since GoodLink on the 700w does not seem to allow the quick lookup to work for names/numbers on the Today screen, has anyone tried to set the Direct Push for the Contacts only, so it would "technically" appear to work? just a thought/question..
    Here is what I think are the advantages Good has over MSFT:

1) Security-Gartner has already said organizations planning on using MSFP will need to invest in a third-party security application. GoodLink uses an outbound only connection through your firewall. MSFP requires an inbound hole.

2) MSFP is not push, it is triggered pull. Now, as an end-user, you don't care how your email gets to your device as long as it just gets there. I am interested to see how the battery life will be affected.

3) Device/Fleet control. You either give push to everybody or nobody. Policies, such as password policies, have to be the same for everyone, no ability for policy groups.

4) Good guarantees message delivery, 100% of the time. Combined with the ability to remotely monitor and manage devices, GoodLink's command and control functionality can only be attempted via 3rd party apps for MSFP.

5) MSFP only supports Exchange 2003 SP2 and WM5 devices with the AKU2 update. No Palm, Symbian, or Notes support.

These are only some of the things I see as advantageous for GoodLink. Now, I am not familiar how the quick look-up fucntion works, but in the GL contacts, you can start typing the name and it will automatically filter. You can also type first initial, last initial.
    so when will goodlink EVER support sending attachments? its been asked for for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Here is what I think are the advantages Good has over MSFT:

1) Security-Gartner has already said organizations planning on using MSFP will need to invest in a third-party security application. GoodLink uses an outbound only connection through your firewall. MSFP requires an inbound hole.

2) MSFP is not push, it is triggered pull. Now, as an end-user, you don't care how your email gets to your device as long as it just gets there. I am interested to see how the battery life will be affected.

3) Device/Fleet control. You either give push to everybody or nobody. Policies, such as password policies, have to be the same for everyone, no ability for policy groups.

4) Good guarantees message delivery, 100% of the time. Combined with the ability to remotely monitor and manage devices, GoodLink's command and control functionality can only be attempted via 3rd party apps for MSFP.

5) MSFP only supports Exchange 2003 SP2 and WM5 devices with the AKU2 update. No Palm, Symbian, or Notes support.

These are only some of the things I see as advantageous for GoodLink. Now, I am not familiar how the quick look-up fucntion works, but in the GL contacts, you can start typing the name and it will automatically filter. You can also type first initial, last initial.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow
    so when will goodlink EVER support sending attachments? its been asked for for so long.
    does the new MSFT w/ direct push solution support sending attachments?
    When will we support attachments? That is the million dollar question. Part of the problem is that we do not use SMTP, which means we basically have to reinvent the wheel. I am hearing version 5.0 (due at the end of the year) might have attachment support, but, as with all things, nothing is set in stone by any stretch.

Not sure is MSFP supports attachments, but it does appear to have some battery concerns from reading in other threads here.
    Does MSFT support multiple SIM cards?
    I like goodlink however the items you mention in favor of goodlink over MSFT are mainly back end support that the end user will never notice, not saying your product is bad or anything on these items...but what about the items the end user will experience? The one thing that I still can't figure out is why can't I get all of the catagories from outlook to goodlink? its only been "in the works" for what a year now? The only reason I use good over BB is the form factor of the treo...if I ever get the option for BB connect on my treo with cingular then I'm going back to BB.
    You make a good point regarding the back-end and I would agree outside of the fact that it only supports WM5. However, the points go to my assertion that MSFP is not an enterprise ready solution.