Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Has anyone used this app by National Geographic on their 650? All the old threads on this topic (topo on 650) are outdated and/or inconclusive.

According to National Geographic, it's now Palm and Bluetooth compatible. http://www.ngmapstore.com/shopping/p...iProductID=359

I was hoping for handheld GPS equivalent for the 650. I'd rather buy National Geographic topo maps and Pocket Topo for around $150 instead of dropping $500 on something like the Garmin 60Csx.
    I have not but I do use Outdoor Navigator topos from Maptech. Unfortunately they no longer support the software but the topos are still available for download on their site. The quality of their topos is not the best so I might be interested in the National Geographic system but it is not clear from their brief description whether a GPS function is supported on the Palm software. Do you know if it supports GPS receivers on the Treo?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I have not but I do use Outdoor Navigator topos from Maptech. Unfortunately they no longer support the software but the topos are still available for download on their site. The quality of their topos is not the best so I might be interested in the National Geographic system but it is not clear from their brief description whether a GPS function is supported on the Palm software. Do you know if it supports GPS receivers on the Treo?
    I believe all NG software supports GPS. The fact that Pocket Topo is both Bluetooth and Palm compatible would indicate it supports GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude
    I believe all NG software supports GPS. The fact that Pocket Topo is both Bluetooth and Palm compatible would indicate it supports GPS.
    Maybe but their Pocket Topo program description certainly doesn't give any details. It would be nice to have some specs regarding the GPS protocols it supports. Bluetooth does not necessarily mean it can track with a bluetooth GPS receiver and Palm compatible has nothing to do with GPS. Thanks for providing the link because I'd like a better topo system for my Treo, I'll see if NG will provide some additional clarification of Pocket Topo's capabilities.
    The NG product doesn't work over bluetooth, despite what the box says.