Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't know if this was mentioned already but Telenav has the 650 as being supported now.
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 04/19/2006 at 09:02 AM.
    I still believe this (and BB connect) will be the real reasons for the rumored firmware update - if it really happens. Sprint wants to be able to upsell us on more optional services.

Am I way off base?
    I don't get it ... what's the point of Telenav? It seems that you pay $140 for their unit plus $10/month. Or you could buy a good SirfIII Bluetooth GPS unit w/TomTom elsewhere for $195, e.g.:
    http://www.buygpsnow.com/tomtom-bundles_5.html

It seems to me that Telenav will have to take a loss-leader on their GPS unit and/or reduce their monthly fee if they want to sell any to savvy Treo users.
    I though telenav was the one that worked off the phone hardware with addtional GPS needed.
    An additional GPS is required for the Treo 650:

http://www.telenav.com/whatis/accessoryMain.do

Or see that attached image from that page.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    one would be updated maps(which tomtom tries to shove an upgrade down your throat to get, more responsive useful poi..i think in the course of 2-3 years you will come out ahead...120 a year vs. buying new tomtom software every year or miniumum every 2 years
    Ok - nevermind then. This isn't what I thought it was. I thought this was like the sprint product that gives you nav on your cellphone without using a GPS reciever.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon
    Ok - nevermind then. This isn't what I thought it was. I thought this was like the sprint product that gives you nav on your cellphone without using a GPS reciever.
    it does.....but not with the treo but only on a GPS phone

blackberry and treo need the receiver.

Any one have any reviews on the interface?....does it even come close to tomtom? And which maps do they use, tele-atlas or Navtech?

oh did i mention the 650 is only supported on sprint? (Not Verizon, not cingular, and of course no TMO)
    You guys say its $140 for the receiver plus $10 bucks a month, yet after you enter your phone number the promo says its on $60 for the receiver and six months of service free. Am I missing something?

Select TeleNav Service Plan and Accessories

Select Package:
    Name Amount
    April Promo: 6-Month Subscription of TeleNav Unlimited Service with Free Bluetooth GPS Receiver and $9.99 per month thereafter $59.94

http://store.telenav.net/store/deviceList.do
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    You guys say its $140 for the receiver plus $10 bucks a month, yet after you enter your phone number the promo says its on $60 for the receiver and six months of service free. Am I missing something?

Select TeleNav Service Plan and Accessories

Select Package:
    Name Amount
    April Promo: 6-Month Subscription of TeleNav Unlimited Service with Free Bluetooth GPS Receiver and $9.99 per month thereafter $59.94

http://store.telenav.net/store/deviceList.do

No, I don't think you're missing anything at all, and it now looks pretty tempting. I hadn't previously entered all that information into their form.

Now my questions are:
    (1) What kind of GPS is it, and does it include SirfIII technology; will I be able to continue to use it if I discontinue my TeleNav subscription, or do they lock it down?
    (2) Can I use the Telenav GPS receiver for other applications (and with other software) such as GeoCaching, while retaining my Telenav subscription [or after I've let it lapse]
    The only reason I havent jumped on this yet is because I dont see anywhere on their site where you can contact them to get information. I would like to know how this app works. Is it web based? If I move into an area with poor reception do I lose operability? How do I find these things out?
    Telenav CC number is:
    888-353-6284

Let us know about the $60 receiver. Might also ask if it HAS to be a Telenav receiver or will any BT GPS receiver work?
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    I just called and ordered it. They have a promotion where the receiver is free if you agree to six months of service, so I bought it. At first the lady suggested that it was $89, so make sure you ask if there are any promotions.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazinglySmooth
    I just called and ordered it. They have a promotion where the receiver is free if you agree to six months of service, so I bought it. At first the lady suggested that it was $89, so make sure you ask if there are any promotions.

Cheers
    Smooth, Do you know if the GPS receiver they send is the OnCourse SiRF Star III Bluetooth GPS Receiver? I notice that if you buy it seperately its 139.99, yet when I purchased it the credit was for a 89.99 GPS receiver.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I just order the "April Promo" on May 3rd, so it is still active.

Their site says lists this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

as the included GPS reciever. It is a GlobalSat GPS Receiver BT-339 which is the same one used by OnCourse. It typically sells in the $125 range. So I figured how could l lose getting it and 6 months of service for $60???

Worst case scenario Telenav stinks and go buy tomtom and I've already got a reciever that works with tomtom.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcbelize
    I just order the "April Promo" on May 3rd, so it is still active.

Their site says lists this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

as the included GPS reciever. It is a GlobalSat GPS Receiver BT-339 which is the same one used by OnCourse. It typically sells in the $125 range. So I figured how could l lose getting it and 6 months of service for $60???

Worst case scenario Telenav stinks and go buy tomtom and I've already got a reciever that works with tomtom.
    But telenav doesnt stink. I love it.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Are you sure that the GPS unit in this deal isn't handicapped somehow to require the Telenav software to work?

Jason
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    If I wanted to use the TomTom navigator BT GPS that I'm currently using, will it work with the Telenav software? Updated maps would be very nice.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsf
    Are you sure that the GPS unit in this deal isn't handicapped somehow to require the Telenav software to work?

Jason
    I emailed telenav before I signed up and asked if the receiver would work with other gps software such as TomTom. Their response was..."The receiver is not locked to our product. So if TomTom supports the GlobalSat BT-338 receiver then it should work without any issues."
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    But telenav doesnt stink. I love it.
    I would agree, with one caution...if you lose your phone network you lose your navigation.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast