1.    #1  
    Is this possible and if so, how would I benefit from doing that? I am sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything using the Search function.

Thanks...
    yes it is. search for fw 1.23

downgrade to that first, then upgrade to 1.71
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude
    Is this possible and if so, how would I benefit from doing that? I am sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything using the Search function.

Thanks...

Just did that EXACT upgrade...

and you MUST downgrade to 1.23 first.. Then the 1.71 will work.. I did my upgrade 2 times..
  5.    #5  
    Cool, sounds awesome. What are the benefits of doing so, if I may ask?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude
    Cool, sounds awesome. What are the benefits of doing so, if I may ask?
    I did that, actually, I upgraded to Cingular 1.17, then to a custom ROM of 1.20 (with the 1.71 firmware). The benefits are the upgraded Blazer and FAT 32 memory system, also the smaller footprint. However, I found that my phone worked better with the 1.17 Cingular version. I didn't have as many resets. I average maybe one every other day now. Before, I would go weeks without one. If I could take the time to learn how to do a custom ROM, I might "downgrade?" to a custom 1.17, with the Real Player, versamail, tutorial, and languages removed, FAT 32 and the new Blazer added in. I might then consider that I had the perfect ROM for a Cingular Treo 650