Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can this be done, I have heard you need to "unlock" it, but would I be better off finding a verizon 650? My current contract is ending soon, so I might switch to sprint. Recommendations?? Links?? Thanks!
    your quick You'll find good help here. I think the Sprint data plan is better though.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ehops
    Can this be done, I have heard you need to "unlock" it, but would I be better off finding a verizon 650? My current contract is ending soon, so I might switch to sprint. Recommendations?? Links?? Thanks!
    Where did you find the phone? Plus, not too mention if the phone is reported lost/stolen you will not be able to use it. The best thing to do is goto Sprint and return the phone. This way it gets back to the rightful owner who had it before you found, it.

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan
    your quick You'll find good help here. I think the Sprint data plan is better though.

Two first time posters back to back....

hmmm smells fishy.

You "found" it?

"Would I be better of "finding" a Verizon 650?
    hmmmm...snif snif...smells like tilapia
    One option would be to look for the "Verizonizing" threads here on the forum which cover modifyinga Sprint phone to work on Verizon. There seem to be conflicting claims as to whetehr this still works tho, with some claiming "sources" that it doesn't work any more and others responding that they just did it.
  6.    #6  
    LOL found = I would be buying it from "Moss Man" I will look into "verizonizing"

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Geez I guess you can find anything you like. Why not find a sprint store and return it, then find a verizon store and buy one. You will find this will alleviate all the police questioning.
  8.    #8  
    This is not a shady deal... I am asking that if I buy a T650 from one person who used it with Sprint, will I have a heart attack trying to convert it to compatability with verizon... from the searching I would assume the answer is "Yes"
    LOL found = I would be buying it from "Moss Man" I will look into "verizonizing"

Thanks!
    gotcha...I thought found meant...well...found
    Speaking from experience: You cannot activate a non-Verizon phone on their network anymore. The reps no longer have the ability to "push it through". Believe me, I tried like hell a few months back after I bought a "verizonized" Sprint Treo 650. I eventually, with the help of Shadowmite, "de-verizonized" it, so that it would work on Sprint again and it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude
    Speaking from experience: You cannot activate a non-Verizon phone on their network anymore. The reps no longer have the ability to "push it through". Believe me, I tried like hell a few months back after I bought a "verizonized" Sprint Treo 650. I eventually, with the help of Shadowmite, "de-verizonized" it, so that it would work on Sprint again and it did.
    Shouldnt that read: It SEEMS you cannot activeate because ... The rep(s) I SPOKE WITH would not "push it through"?

By the way, anyone have any links on "verzionizing"?
    omg nevermind, i just read through one of the posts about what is involved, my god, i would rather buy a new phone
    In recent months, every time I have seen someone post "It can't be done anymore, there's a follow up post that says "whaddya talkin about I just did it last week". So I don't know who to believe. For example here's two peeps who say they did it in last two months.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=63563&page=38
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107234
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Shouldnt that read: It SEEMS you cannot activeate because ... The rep(s) I SPOKE WITH would not "push it through"?

By the way, anyone have any links on "verzionizing"?
    It isn't possible anymore. As of July 2005, to be exact. Prove me wrong and I'll pay you $500.
    It isn't possible anymore. As of July 2005, to be exact. Prove me wrong and I'll pay you $500.
    I hope for your sake, that Simbalage (post 741) here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=63563&page=38

and skynet104us (post 8) here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107234

don't call you on it. Skynet did his 2-10-06.
    I would recommend selling it on ebay and using that spare change towards a VZW. However, if you are considering switching to Sprint, that's not a bad move, their data plan is 30 dollars a month cheaper.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    the ESN is probably banned. Call sprint and check then it.
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    the ESN is probably banned. Call sprint and check then it.
    you didn't read the thread
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    hmmmm...snif snif...smells like tilapia
    Mmmm.. Tilapia. Had some grilled blackened tilapia last night.
    For once and for all, here's the information about using using a Sprint phone on Verizon. These aren't made up facts or information from an employee, it's simply how the phone is made and the network works.

It's very simple, you cannot put a Sprint phone on Verizon and have it work 100%.

Every CDMA phone has what's called an ESN, a unique serial number. In a Treo, this is encoded on a daughter board inside the phone. You CANNOT change this, even by reprogramming the phone. It is burned into an EEPROM. Even if you could change it, it's illegal.

Every carrier that uses CDMA, Sprint and Verizon in the US, gets a database of the ESNs that the phone manufacturers provide upon phone production for their networks. You CANNOT activate a phone on the Verizon network with an ESN from Sprint, or any other ESN that's not in their database. You used to be able to, but in the past year and a half or so there is no way to do it. No matter how much you smooth talk the customer service rep, their system will not allow it.

The only way a user has in recent time gotten a Sprint phone on the Verizon network is by doing a token update, forcing a PRL update, and then using Verizon's pre-paid service. This is not the same as actually using Verizon's regular service. You don't have any data access, and unless you are very knowledgeable will probably break your phone. This modification involves making (or purchasing) a special serial cable and literally re-programming your phone.

If you "found" the phone, odds are it's flagged as a bad/stolen ESN in Sprint's database and the phone is now dead. You can do a radio swap, but again, it's very difficult and will probably cost you half as much to just get a new Treo. Odds are you have a pretty looking brick.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast