Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by drewpierce80
    For once and for all, here's the information about using using a Sprint phone on Verizon. These aren't made up facts or information from an employee, it's simply how the phone is made and the network works.

It's very simple, you cannot put a Sprint phone on Verizon and have it work 100%.

Every CDMA phone has what's called an ESN, a unique serial number. In a Treo, this is encoded on a daughter board inside the phone. You CANNOT change this, even by reprogramming the phone. It is burned into an EEPROM. Even if you could change it, it's illegal.

Every carrier that uses CDMA, Sprint and Verizon in the US, gets a database of the ESNs that the phone manufacturers provide upon phone production for their networks. You CANNOT activate a phone on the Verizon network with an ESN from Sprint, or any other ESN that's not in their database. You used to be able to, but in the past year and a half or so there is no way to do it. No matter how much you smooth talk the customer service rep, their system will not allow it.

The only way a user has in recent time gotten a Sprint phone on the Verizon network is by doing a token update, forcing a PRL update, and then using Verizon's pre-paid service. This is not the same as actually using Verizon's regular service. You don't have any data access, and unless you are very knowledgeable will probably break your phone. This modification involves making (or purchasing) a special serial cable and literally re-programming your phone.

If you "found" the phone, odds are it's flagged as a bad/stolen ESN in Sprint's database and the phone is now dead. You can do a radio swap, but again, it's very difficult and will probably cost you half as much to just get a new Treo. Odds are you have a pretty looking brick.
    Exactomundo. (did I spell that right? It's from Pulp Fiction)

As of July 2005, the option to "force a non-Verizon phone through" disappeared. Looks like I'm keeping my $500.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewpierce80
    This modification involves making (or purchasing) a special serial cable and literally re-programming your phone.
    That's what "verizonizing" means....at least that's what is described in all the "verizonizing" threads I have ever read. It's not a simple deal like with GSM and swapping SIMS. I have never seen anyone say it could ever be done any way other than via the special cable method.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude
    Exactomundo. (did I spell that right? It's from Pulp Fiction)
    It was from Happy Days, long before Pulp Fiction.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12