Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If someone manages to get the .prc or setup files from the Singapore carrier, please PM me and I will host so we may try them out.

THanks
    Try this link. I see at SPUG web site. http://www.palm.com/sg/solutions/pro.../getitnow.html
    Too bad it looks like you have to get your account specifically set up for it. I was hoping I could download the program and have my company mail go to it without any other hassel. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Too bad it looks like you have to get your account specifically set up for it. I was hoping I could download the program and have my company mail go to it without any other hassel. Oh well.
    You mean the phone company has to set your account to be able to use this? Does that mean extra $$$$ on top of your data plan?
    I will almost bet that you'll have to spend extra $$$ to get BB Connect on your Treo. Or at least reconfigure your account.

I had a Treo 650 on T-Mo and when I switched to using a BB I had to switch to using T-Mo's BB data plan. It uses a different server in order to achieve the BB magic of push email. That's about as technical as I get.

But one thing's almost certain -- you don't use your generic data plan if you have Blackberry service. At least on T-Mobile.

If you're enchanted with the idea of Blackberry Connect on your Treo 650, be vewwy, vewwy careful. I jumped out of a grandfathered $19.99/month unlimited data plan at T-Mo to the $19.99/month unlimited Blackberry plan.

Now that I've seen what Blackberry can/can't do (email good except for that execrable Desktop Redirector thing, PIM functionality bad) I'm switching back to the Treo 650 and guess what! T-Mo doesn't sell the $19.99/month data plan anymore so I have to buy the data plan with the wireless Hotspots feature for $29.99/month. And guess what else? The Treo doesn't have wifi capability. I know that comes as a shock.

So my Prodigal Son little adventure to Blackberryland means my monthly bill went up by $10.00.
    Wow, that is one nasty, fugly conversion to be able to use BlackBerry on your Treo.

I hate that policy with TMo, they should at least give you the benefit of choice for access instead of locking you up. I almost did that on my text messaging before. Good thing I clarified the change before I pulled the trigger, otherwise I would be paying extra$ for something that I already have.
    I've been month-to-month with a grandfathered $10 data plan with Sprint for years now. No need to change! :-)
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    As neat as running BB on a treo would be, for most Treo users, Chatter is a better alternative and it won't mean having to have a special BB data plan. Now I understand there are those out there whose companies run BB and for them being able to do this on a 650 is a big deal, that would make sense, but like I said for most people Chatter, with its "PUSH" would work just as well
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I've been month-to-month with a grandfathered $10 data plan with Sprint for years now. No need to change! :-)
    Yeah but you are with Sprint. So as long as Sprint don't have a business practice to change your plan to another just to use BlackBerry functions, then that would work.
    Kramsauer,

Listen to the ronbo2000 man! Don't do what I did and change your grandfathered data plan at Sprint to a Blackberry plan unless you know you can go back to your old plan.

And iramike is right. My experience with Chatter tells me that the Blackberry Connect service does not offer much IF you are a solo person (like me) without Blackberry Enterprise Server.
    Chatter is a great alternative for push email - as long as you aren't GSM. If you are, BB Connect looks like it. You will probably need to get the BB data plan, and add BES to your hosted exchange account. You do have a hosted exchange account, don't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtar
    Chatter is a great alternative for push email - as long as you aren't GSM. If you are, BB Connect looks like it. You will probably need to get the BB data plan, and add BES to your hosted exchange account. You do have a hosted exchange account, don't you?
    What do you mean as long as they aren't a GSM user? I am a GSM user and I have no issues. I now have 3 pushed accounts no problem.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Ok, here is the deal. I don't think Marc (ChatterEmail) will have to worry about too many people switching to BBConnect...

I just installed it on a test Treo and.... guess who is back? VersaMail... (I'm trying to behave, naming wise)

It says you need 4MB free just for the app (pre-data), and guess why... here is the list of files that gets installed on your Treo:

AboutBoxLib.prc
    Address.prc
    AddressLib.prc
    AirSAM.prc
    AirSAMPrv.prc
    bb-xxx.xx.xx.xxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.prc
    bb-blackberry.net-xxx.xx.xx.xxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.prc
    bb-cdma-registration-ids.prc
    BBAttachViewer.prc
    BBAttachViewer_enUS.prc
    BESSAM.prc
    BESSAMCal.prc
    BgService.prc
    CarrierProfiles2.pdb
    CategoryLib.prc
    CDMAExtraLib_Device.prc
    Datebook.prc
    DatebookLib.prc
    DmTxn.prc
    HotSyncPBStk.prc
    IIDataLib.prc
    Memo.prc
    MIAttachLib.prc
    MIDataLib.prc
    MMConduit.prc
    MMConfigFPI.prc
    MMHtmlPlugin.prc
    MMMailTo.prc
    MMNotify.prc
    MMPhotos.prc
    MMPluginMGR.prc
    MMPRCPlugin.prc
    MMSDCard.prc
    MMSmartAdd.prc
    MMTextPlugin.prc
    MMUnzipPlugin.prc
    MMUpgrade.prc
    MMVCal.prc
    MMVCardPlugin.prc
    MMWave.prc
    MMWizard.prc
    MMWordPlugin.prc
    MM_BES_FPI.prc
    MultiMail.prc
    NetworkProfiles2.pdb
    PalmVMFontLibrary.prc
    SAMgr.prc
    SecurityApp.prc
    TextLookupFPI.prc
    ToDo.prc
    TxnLogLib.prc
    _MMServers.pdb

I worked so hard to get rid of 95% of these files with the latest CustomROM tools and now "they are back" (at least on my test Treo).

You don't really need a BB plan with the carrier (a data plan and good relationship with your IT department is all that should be needed), but who really wants buggy, slow, memory-hungry Versamail on their device again.

Matter of fact my Treo froze (during HotSync) on the first attempt to sync the BB data (it is required as part of the install) and then I had to start the install from scratch.

Bye Bye BB (at least for me), welcome back CE.

It was a nice try though.
    Ix.
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970
    Ok, here is the deal. I don't think Marc (ChatterEmail) will have to worry about too many people switching to BBConnect...

I just installed it on a test Treo and.... guess who is back? VersaMail... (I'm trying to behave, naming wise)

It says you need 4MB free just for the app (pre-data), and guess why... here is the list of files that gets installed on your Treo:

AboutBoxLib.prc
    Address.prc
    AddressLib.prc
    AirSAM.prc
    AirSAMPrv.prc
    bb-xxx.xx.xx.xxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.prc
    bb-blackberry.net-xxx.xx.xx.xxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.prc
    bb-cdma-registration-ids.prc
    BBAttachViewer.prc
    BBAttachViewer_enUS.prc
    BESSAM.prc
    BESSAMCal.prc
    BgService.prc
    CarrierProfiles2.pdb
    CategoryLib.prc
    CDMAExtraLib_Device.prc
    Datebook.prc
    DatebookLib.prc
    DmTxn.prc
    HotSyncPBStk.prc
    IIDataLib.prc
    Memo.prc
    MIAttachLib.prc
    MIDataLib.prc
    MMConduit.prc
    MMConfigFPI.prc
    MMHtmlPlugin.prc
    MMMailTo.prc
    MMNotify.prc
    MMPhotos.prc
    MMPluginMGR.prc
    MMPRCPlugin.prc
    MMSDCard.prc
    MMSmartAdd.prc
    MMTextPlugin.prc
    MMUnzipPlugin.prc
    MMUpgrade.prc
    MMVCal.prc
    MMVCardPlugin.prc
    MMWave.prc
    MMWizard.prc
    MMWordPlugin.prc
    MM_BES_FPI.prc
    MultiMail.prc
    NetworkProfiles2.pdb
    PalmVMFontLibrary.prc
    SAMgr.prc
    SecurityApp.prc
    TextLookupFPI.prc
    ToDo.prc
    TxnLogLib.prc
    _MMServers.pdb

I worked so hard to get rid of 95% of these files with the latest CustomROM tools and now "they are back" (at least on my test Treo).

You don't really need a BB plan with the carrier (a data plan and good relationship with your IT department is all that should be needed), but who really wants buggy, slow, memory-hungry Versamail on their device again.

Matter of fact my Treo froze (during HotSync) on the first attempt to sync the BB data (it is required as part of the install) and then I had to start the install from scratch.

Bye Bye BB (at least for me), welcome back CE.

It was a nice try though.
    Ix.
    Interesting. What carrier's Treo did you attempt the install on?
    elbastardocalvo
    And how were you able to download the .prc? Do you have a SingTel s/n or does it just require a GSM s/n
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtar
    What the Hell does GSM have to do with this? If anything, Chatter is more suitable on GSM (other than the higher data rates that carriers might charge) than Sprint.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Does anyone know if installing the BB Connect software on my old GSM unlocked T650 and popping in my company's Blackberry SIM from T-mobile that connects to company BES servers will work?
    elbastardocalvo, I used a Cingular Treo 650.

woodsmithn, no I don't have a SingTel phone, I hope this will help:
    var serialindex = bbcdownload.Treo_650_serial_number.value.indexOf("PTGG");
    var seriallength = bbcdownload.Treo_650_serial_number.value.length;
    if(serialindex != 0 || seriallength != 12)
    {
    alert('Incorrect serial number. Please enter your Treo 650 serial number.');
    return false;
    }
    DUH, *smacks forehead*. Yes, that helped a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970
    elbastardocalvo, I used a Cingular Treo 650.

woodsmithn, no I don't have a SingTel phone, I hope this will help:
    var serialindex = bbcdownload.Treo_650_serial_number.value.indexOf("PTGG");
    var seriallength = bbcdownload.Treo_650_serial_number.value.length;
    if(serialindex != 0 || seriallength != 12)
    {
    alert('Incorrect serial number. Please enter your Treo 650 serial number.');
    return false;
    }
    Thanks. Is that an error you got upon installation?
    elbastardocalvo
Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast