Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    I can also confirm that I got this to work on Sprint. At first, I had the same problem where VersaMail would not be set correctly it was unable to receive BBC email.

The obvious difference when it is not setup correctly is that under the BBC account in VersaMail, there are three buttons at the bottom-- New, Get, and Sort. When BBC is setup correctly, Get is missing and only New and Sort are available. Any attempt to press the Get button would result in an error with the username. If you look at the account settings, you could actually access the settings. When BBC is setup correctly, you are not able to do this.

Another obvious difference is when you look at the account settings for VersaMail in HotSync, the second page for the BBC account will also bring you to the BlackBerry Connect for Palm screen. If you see the menu to setup the VersaMail account settings this is not setup correctly. I haven't figured out anyway to setup a VersaMail account to connect to a BlackBerry server. This is something that is automatically done during the second sync.

I installed and reinstalled and reinstalled and reinstalled the Setup for BlackBerry Connect 15 times before I was able to get this to work correctly.

The BizCon Desktop redirector is a lot more feature rich, but for those organizations that have strict IT policies that have a corporate BES server, the BlackBerry Connector is an alternative solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTreo
    Thank you! I'll experiment as well.

Here's another question -- anyway to make the Treo vibrate when BBC receives an email? So far as I can tell, you just get to pick from the limited sounds provided or no sound.
    Same question here. I've tried everything I can think of, but can't get it to vibrate when BBC receives an email. Any thoughts?
    I don't believe there is an option to force vibration, which is a major oversight. Hard to believe this thing was in development for a couple of years and is still missing the basics.
    Can someone PLEASE tell me exactly what I need to ask my IT department to do to set me up. Here are a few details:

- installed the software on treo

- i cant get past the second sync where it tries to connect to the BB Server - says account not activated

- I currently carry a BB that is on Cingular --- I have a sprint teo --- will they need to move my account to my Srint phone number

Anything else to consider

I have been waiting for this for a very very very very long time -- I have chatter and love it but i need BB Conect to get me work email

THANKS
    Bhozier-

1) Tell your IT department to create an account for you on your BES server. The error in question #2 is because you don't have an account on the BES server.

2) I am not familiar Cingular as I have Sprint, but from what I have read, if you want to maintain Cingular as your provider, you will need to upgrade your service plan to include BlackBerry service. With Sprint, this service appears to work automatically w/o having to change my current plan.
    lawong -thanks

My Treo is on sprint -- my work already gives me a BB that is connected to my work email (this is on cingular) -- sorry of this was not clear

I guess what I'm asking is do they need deacivate my cingular phone number/Blackberry and activate my Treo phone number -- am I saying this right?

Can they push my mail to both?

Thanks
    BHB
    <grump>

I'm watching all of this back and forth about you guys trying to get the Blackberry service running on the Treo. Ouch.

I have banged my head against the generic Treo 650 email issues (Versamail and Chatter), both with and without attempts to make the Treo talk to my Exchange Server. I have done the same with an MDA talking to my Exchange Server in an attempt to achieve The Nirvana of True Push. I have explored the basic technological ineptitude of a Blackberry 7230 using Desktop Redirector, because it simply doesn't make sense to drop a coupla grand into a BES for one user. And in any event, the BES is just a centralized storage facility for all of your technological complexity issues. (Can't used an outsourced BES due to Sarbanes-Oxley level data storage needs).

Reading this thread and experiencing my own sub-thrills with the Blackberry has convinced me that the Blackberry is really a "Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" proposition.

I have now become a grumpy humanoid life form and completely lack the patience for tech vendors who do not put the effort into the usability and ease of set-up for their devices/software/systems.

May I respectfully suggest to the sellers of devices such as the Treo and services such as Blackberry Connect that they should attempt to make civilian use of these things approximately as easy as driving a car with an automatic transmission? If they aim at this, perhaps they will hit the target of a "three on the tree" manual transmission with a clutch that works.

We should not need to become High Priests of IT in order to do this. I suspect that Microsoft, true to form, will have this stuff wired (if you will pardon the expression) in about 24 months, after a few more iterations of Windows Mobile and its interaction with Exchange Server. And if they do this, they will deserve to take the market away from the Palms and RIMMs of the world.

</grump>
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    <grump>

I'm watching all of this back and forth about you guys trying to get the Blackberry service running on the Treo. Ouch.

I have banged my head against the generic Treo 650 email issues (Versamail and Chatter), both with and without attempts to make the Treo talk to my Exchange Server. I have done the same with an MDA talking to my Exchange Server in an attempt to achieve The Nirvana of True Push. I have explored the basic technological ineptitude of a Blackberry 7230 using Desktop Redirector, because it simply doesn't make sense to drop a coupla grand into a BES for one user. And in any event, the BES is just a centralized storage facility for all of your technological complexity issues. (Can't used an outsourced BES due to Sarbanes-Oxley level data storage needs).

Reading this thread and experiencing my own sub-thrills with the Blackberry has convinced me that the Blackberry is really a "Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" proposition.

I have now become a grumpy humanoid life form and completely lack the patience for tech vendors who do not put the effort into the usability and ease of set-up for their devices/software/systems.

May I respectfully suggest to the sellers of devices such as the Treo and services such as Blackberry Connect that they should attempt to make civilian use of these things approximately as easy as driving a car with an automatic transmission? If they aim at this, perhaps they will hit the target of a "three on the tree" manual transmission with a clutch that works.

We should not need to become High Priests of IT in order to do this. I suspect that Microsoft, true to form, will have this stuff wired (if you will pardon the expression) in about 24 months, after a few more iterations of Windows Mobile and its interaction with Exchange Server. And if they do this, they will deserve to take the market away from the Palms and RIMMs of the world.

</grump>
    The reason everyone in this thread is having problems is because we are pushing the envelope. It is not like Palm said, "Here you go everyone, now you have Blackberry on the Palm." First of all, this has not even been officially released, outside of SingTel. Secondly, it is all so new, we don't know which carriers support it and which do not.

As far as your comment about us having to be IT experts, this is a double-edged sword. The benifit of the Treo sometimes becomes its detriment. It is so flexible, open and customizable that it can be difficult to deal with when you push the envelope too much, which most everyone on this board will do. If you don't want to become an IT expert, then just use the Treo out of the box for what it was meant to provide: phone, PIM, basic Internet or pick a device that does not require customization on what you are looking for (i.e. if you want true push email, get a Blackberry; if you want an overpriced, overbloated memory hog with a crappy screen, get a Windows Mobile device. )
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard
    The reason everyone in this thread is having problems is because we are pushing the envelope. It is not like Palm said, "Here you go everyone, now you have Blackberry on the Palm." First of all, this has not even been officially released, outside of SingTel. Secondly, it is all so new, we don't know which carriers support it and which do not.

As far as your comment about us having to be IT experts, this is a double-edged sword. The benifit of the Treo sometimes becomes its detriment. It is so flexible, open and customizable that it can be difficult to deal with when you push the envelope too much, which most everyone on this board will do. If you don't want to become an IT expert, then just use the Treo out of the box for what it was meant to provide: phone, PIM, basic Internet or pick a device that does not require customization on what you are looking for (i.e. if you want true push email, get a Blackberry; if you want an overpriced, overbloated memory hog with a crappy screen, get a Windows Mobile device. )
    All of these are true. TC people DO want to push the envelope. Me, too. I just wish purveyors would think a little bit about the poor slobs that actually write checks to them.

I've decided however that it's not worth the wasted time so I'm doing exactly what you describe. I use my Treo as a phone. I use it as a PIM. I resign myself to sync via a wire (oh, heavens) instead of over the air. I will live with pull email instead of trying to gain an extra 10 minutes with push.

I guess I'm becoming that guy in the fast lane of the freeway that is doing EXACTLY the speed limit when everyone else is doing 80 mph. And make no mistake about it. TC is a place where it's almost mandatory to exceed the Treo's speed limit. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I got this loaded on my Cingular Treo 650 and had it working but did not like it. Sure it pushed the e-mail down but it would not delete e-mail from my inbox on Outlook. Also I could not connect to the Internet once I turned it on. I am on my companies BES ( which seems to be required for BB connect ) so no issue there and the install was pretty seamless. But the functionality is lacking and no where near as feature rich as my 8700c.

I am sure if I played around with it a little I could get it to work better but in the end it doe snot compare to my 8700c. Still keeping my Treo but removed the BB Connect software.
    I ended up doing the same thing. 2 things killed it for me: 1) the need to switch between the GPRS and blackberry.net for web viewing/BBC, respectively; and 2) the inability to store messages to a SD card, which sucks up a ton of memory. It's too bad, really, because the BBC mail component works really well...
    elbastardocalvo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    <grump>

</grump>

I am on Sprint. It took me about 15 minutes to get up and running on BBC.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawform
    I am on Sprint. It took me about 15 minutes to get up and running on BBC.
    I worship at your feet. This means apparently that the vendors have taken the time and effort to make it easy for civilians to make it all go.
    Email is working great, but for some reason my calendard entries are not updating in either direction. This is a big problem since BBC changes your calendar sync option to "Do Nothing" when installing. Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas how to fix?

As for the raging debate as to why would anyone use BBC, I'll put in my two sense. Our IT would not share our IMAP server so Chatter was not an option. I used Sprint BC but since I have a laptop and travel occassionally, I would then be out of luck when on the road (and was reluctant to ask someone else to host an unsupported program on their desktop to enable me to access my email through their desktop as suggested by Sprint BC). So, BBC, even though feature deficient is a great solution for me. Although if I can't get attachments to work any better I will be in a real quandry!
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTreo
    Email is working great, but for some reason my calendard entries are not updating in either direction. This is a big problem since BBC changes your calendar sync option to "Do Nothing" when installing. Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas how to fix?
    My wireless calendar sync is functioning as advertised. I don't have any brilliant ideas other than to have your BES admin check that the "Calendar Enabled" field indicates "True" on your account. If it doesn't then he/she may have to dig into the IT policies and see if it's disabled in one of four possible places.

And maybe add a couple test appointments to your calendar (on your PC) and then try the "Reconcile Now" button in the BBC prefs Main screen.

Failing all else if everything is set properly, have the BES admin re-push the service book and IT policies, then edit your Hotsync conduits so that the BlackBerry conduit is enabled. The BB conduit resets to disabled after every sync and its purpose appears to be just to push the service books/policies and do the initial calendar loading. Then re-sync your device and see if you have better luck.

As far as BBC goes, it's pretty barebones compared to true BB functionality. But since I work for a global company and we not going to suddenly decommission a hundred BES servers worldwide, I am happy to be able to use my T650 and Palm programs vs. basic PDA functionality on a RIM device.
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 04/24/2006 at 12:34 PM.
    I have installed the app and the BES server shows the policies in place but when I go to BBC I have to press the get button and it sayd I need a username and password. Unlocked 650 tmobile BB account. BES 3.6
    Quote Originally Posted by richard371
    I have installed the app and the BES server shows the policies in place but when I go to BBC I have to press the get button and it sayd I need a username and password. Unlocked 650 tmobile BB account. BES 3.6
    I would have guessed that the minimum BES software version is 4.0, but according to the T650-specific BBC info page on RIM's site, they say BES v3.6 is minimum build for Exchange servers.

You should not be prompted for any kind of authentication on the device. Perhaps the second sync (encryption key, service book transfer) did not complete properly?
    If you see the Get button for the BBC account, then the second sync that creates the BBC account isn't setup correctly.

When you go to Hotsync > Custom > VersaMail > Change > BBC > Edit Account > Next, Does it bring you to BlackBerry Connect for Desktops?
    No it brings me to email set up. Any ideas on how to fix it. The pin number and policies are all in place on the BES server as I have access to it.
    I had the same problem. I running the Set Up BlackBerry Connect software over and over until the above showed the BlackBerry Connect for Desktop. It took me about 15 tries to get to correct config files to push to the Treo. The settings for VersaMail get saved into <C:\Program Files\PalmOne\userid\Versamail\>.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $only$ $way$ $to$ $create$ $the$ $setting$ $is$ $through$ $the$ $BlackBerry$ $Connect$ $installer$.
    So you just kept running the Setup Blackberry connect? Did you delete the accounts first or anyhting.
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast