Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTreo
    One question though. Even though I have 43 items in my Inbox on my computer, I only have 6 on my Treo. What gives? I can't find a setting anywhere that limits the emails that should be stored on teh device or anything like that. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!
    BB Connect does not sync your existing (old) contents, it will only redirect new messages to the Treo. "New" being defined as those that arrived after the installation and configuration of BB Connect on the desktop and Treo.

Most of the mail-limiting settings are under Options > Preferences in the Email app. While you can not limit the amount of on-device messages in terms of megabytes, you can time-limit them.

Under Options > Preferences > Main there is a checkbox to "Remove Inbox mail older than" with a drop-down box that lets you specify how frequently (i.e. Older than 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month).

Under Options > Preferences > Deletion there is a checkbox for "Auto-Empty Mail from Trash" and a drop-down box that lets you specify how frequently (i.e. Older than 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, 1 month).

Oh and the Setup Guide and the User Guide can both be found at this page:
    http://www.palm.com/sg/software/blackberryconnect/
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. I found the correct direct download link. I did some research on corp policy and found the following:

Treo 600 & 650 (Contact and CalendarCradle Sync Only)

I will go the alternative route and order a BB thru the proper channels and then try to set up the BB Connect client on the 650.
  3.    #83  
    there should be a setting in preserences for the age of allowed e-mails, I changed mine to 1 month
    so, to sum this up.

it works on sprint and you dont need to change your internet plan.

It works on T-mo and cing, but you need to change to the blackberry plan, but be careful if you have the grandfathered plan. you cant get it back. Can you add the blackberry plan without dropping the grandfarthered plan?

we dont know if it work with verizon? does it?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    What is everyone using at their Blackberry PIN?
  6.    #86  
    its on the phone when you install the software,
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard
    I have an unlocked GSM 650 with a Cingular Blue Side SIMM. I followed the instructions to a T. I worked with our IT Director to get me setup on our BES server; we run Lotus Notes. After I did the install, I syn'd a few times and he sees that my account on the BES changed from "Initializing" to "Active" and that my PIN shows up that was generated during the install.
    Please ask your BES admin to confirm that your IT policies have been received by the handheld. He can find these stats in your BES account under the following fields, and they should look like this:

IT Policy Status: Applied successfully
    IT Policy Sent: Fri Apr 21 15:00:00 2006
    IT Policy Received: Fri Apr 21 15:00:00 2006

If the "policy status" field is anything other than "applied successfully", and the "policy received" field is blank, the device has not successfully completed enterprise activation and will not be able to receive or transmit messages.

If the IT policy received field is blank, please ask your BES admin to confirm that the BES is configured to use AES and 3DES encryption. This setting can be found in the BES Admin client by selecting "BlackBerry Domain" from the left-hand nav bar, selecting the "Server List" tab from the right-hand display window, and selecting the BES server name itself from the list of servers. Then select "Edit Properties" on the server document, select the "General" section, and look for the field called "Encryption Algorithm". This field must be set to either "3DES" or "3DES and AES".

If the BES admin has to change this setting to accomodate you, the encryption setting change will not be recognised by the BES until the BlackBerry Policy Service has been restarted. All the BES services can be found in the standard Windows services applet and it is not necessary to restart the whole BES, just the one service.

Problem is nothing sync's over the air. If I go into Options, Preferences from within Email, and then select Main, I see GSM Connecting in the upper right corner. If I click Register Now, it asks if I am sure but then it doesn't appear to do anything. If I click Reconcile Now, I get an error message that says "BBC Service unavailable." I tried the Reset radio button and it goes through a service reload but then it just goes back to saying GSM Connecting. I also tried going into Preferences, Network and toggle between GPRS and blackberry.net but that doesn't help.

I am wondering if the carrier is blocking it or if the problem is that I have a AT&T SIMM. Is anyone else using this same combination and working? It looks like everything is there and the intial sync over the cable did what it was supposed to do, it's just that the Blackberry service isn't fully functional on my Treo.
    If your device has completed enterprise activation and you still cannot receive or send messages, go to your Treo System category and select Prefs > Network. Try to manually connect to the blackberry.net network using the "Connect" button. If the connection initialises tries but then cancels during sign-on, this may indicate that your carrier segregates BB accounts/traffic from general GPRS data traffic and requires a BB account.

I have also noticed that the Treo sometimes gets extremely slow, to the point that a few times I reset it because I thought it was hung up. I had a few instances where I couldn't turn off the screen with the red call button, even though I could navigate around on the Treo. I have had a few resets as well. Even after all this time they have had to develop this, it feels a lot like Betaware...
    I have noticed some very slight slowdowns (no total freezes) during high GPRS activity (like a flood of messages being delivered, or when first starting the BBC service on the device). This is probably related to the fact that your T650 is trying to wirelessly find it way to RIM for message delivery, but can't.
    Thanks for the quick response.

I have found one thing that will be quite disappointing if there's no solution/workaround. With Chatter/Sprint BC you can download your attachments for editing, viewing (including PDFs), etc. I am not seeing that this is possible with the BB Connect. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
    The webinar from Palm showed that attachments activate Docs To Go for viewing from the BB Connect app.
    Thanks for the quick response.

I have found one thing that will be quite disappointing if there's no solution/workaround. With Chatter/Sprint BC you can download your attachments for editing, viewing (including PDFs), etc. I am not seeing that this is possible with the BB Connect. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
    I did view mail attachments via BBC yesterday, and it was able to download and open an Excel spreadsheet. I did not bother to test all of the other Docs to Go-supported types.

I presently have Docs To Go 8.03 installed, with the majority of components stored on the card per their built-in utility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor
    I did viewing of mail attachments via BBC and it was able to download and open an Excel spreadsheet. I did not bother to test all of the other Docs to Go-supported types.

I presently have Docs To Go 8.03 installed, with the majority of components stored on the card per their built-in utility.
    I have the same setup but when I clicked on a word document attached to an email it took me to the BB download screen and then opened the document within BB Connect -- no option to open within DTG or to edit, etc. I will try some other formats and see what happens.
    I have the same setup but when I clicked on a word document attached to an email it took me to the BB download screen and then opened the document within BB Connect -- no option to open within DTG or to edit, etc. I will try some other formats and see what happens.
    I tested all file formats and had various results. If you click on the document itself, it seems to open in a viewer (not docs to go). If you click on the icon next to the attachment, you can choose to 1) view the file, 2) choose your viewer, or 3) save the file to the handheld or card.

Even doing 2 and 3 above, would only work about 50% of the time. Usually it just keeps forcing the internal viewer. Still testing, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawform
    I tested all file formats and had various results. If you click on the document itself, it seems to open in a viewer (not docs to go). If you click on the icon next to the attachment, you can choose to 1) view the file, 2) choose your viewer, or 3) save the file to the handheld or card.

Even doing 2 and 3 above, would only work about 50% of the time. Usually it just keeps forcing the internal viewer. Still testing, though.
    Thank you! I'll experiment as well.

Here's another question -- anyway to make the Treo vibrate when BBC receives an email? So far as I can tell, you just get to pick from the limited sounds provided or no sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawform

That is interesting. I get Docs to Go in all cases (picking icon, filename, choose from menu) -- I can't force an BBC internal viewer even if I wanted to. Even when I ask to select a viewer the selection is Documents and I can't change it.

Not that I want to, but the variety of results among all of us is kinda odd.

EDIT: Scratch that, getting variable results now.

MS Word (.doc) - non-selectable, defaults to BBC internal viewer. Viewable with some formatting.
    MS Excel (.xls) - selectable (DTG as only option), defaults to Docs to Go. Viewable and editable.
    MS PowerPoint (.ppt) - selectable (DTG as only option), defaults to Docs to Go. Viewable and editable.
    Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) - non-selectable, defaults to BBC internal viewer. Viewable, negligible formatting.
    JPG images (.jpg) - selectable, defaults to BBC internal viewer. Viewable.
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 04/21/2006 at 03:39 PM.
    Please ask your BES admin to confirm that your IT policies have been received by the handheld. He can find these stats in your BES account under the following fields, and they should look like this:

IT Policy Status: Applied successfully
    IT Policy Sent: Fri Apr 21 15:00:00 2006
    IT Policy Received: Fri Apr 21 15:00:00 2006

If the "policy status" field is anything other than "applied successfully", and the "policy received" field is blank, the device has not successfully completed enterprise activation and will not be able to receive or transmit messages.

If the IT policy received field is blank, please ask your BES admin to confirm that the BES is configured to use AES and 3DES encryption. This setting can be found in the BES Admin client by selecting "BlackBerry Domain" from the left-hand nav bar, selecting the "Server List" tab from the right-hand display window, and selecting the BES server name itself from the list of servers. Then select "Edit Properties" on the server document, select the "General" section, and look for the field called "Encryption Algorithm". This field must be set to either "3DES" or "3DES and AES".

If the BES admin has to change this setting to accomodate you, the encryption setting change will not be recognised by the BES until the BlackBerry Policy Service has been restarted. All the BES services can be found in the standard Windows services applet and it is not necessary to restart the whole BES, just the one service.

If your device has completed enterprise activation and you still cannot receive or send messages, go to your Treo System category and select Prefs > Network. Try to manually connect to the blackberry.net network using the "Connect" button. If the connection initialises tries but then cancels during sign-on, this may indicate that your carrier segregates BB accounts/traffic from general GPRS data traffic and requires a BB account.

I have noticed some very slight slowdowns (no total freezes) during high GPRS activity (like a flood of messages being delivered, or when first starting the BBC service on the device). This is probably related to the fact that your T650 is trying to wirelessly find it way to RIM for message delivery, but can't.
    Thanks so much for the response. I did check on the 3DES piece before I even installed and was told it was 3DES. I also tried what you said about connecting under the blackberry.net service and it cancels during the connection initialization. I suspected it was the carrier issue, which is why I asked if anyone was working on Cingular (Blue side). I just switched to a Cingular plan a few months ago but didn't have my SIMM updated, so I still have the MMode service. I wanted to change to the all you can eat Cingular plan (MediaNet I think) because it is cheaper. I was trying to figure out if it was a Cingular issue or an MMode issue.

Thanks again.
    Thank you! I'll experiment as well.

Here's another question -- anyway to make the Treo vibrate when BBC receives an email? So far as I can tell, you just get to pick from the limited sounds provided or no sound.
    Tried to "Select Viewer" and "Download to Card" with both a .tif and .pdf file and neither would work. Both just defaulted to the builtin viewer, which was worthless because they cannot be viewed by the BB viewer.
    That is interesting. I get Docs to Go in all cases (picking icon, filename, choose from menu) -- I can't force a BBC internal viewer even if I wanted to. Even when I ask to select a viewer the selection is Documents and I can't change it.

Not that I want to, but the variety of results among all of us is kinda odd.
    Who is your service provider? Perhaps that has something to do with it. I am using Sprint.
    Who is your service provider? Perhaps that has something to do with it. I am using Sprint.
    It could be that my company uses a version of the BES server earlier than 4.1. According to the users manual, if that's the case attachments will only open in the native viewer. Damn.
    It could be that my company uses a version of the BES server earlier than 4.1. According to the users manual, if that's the case attachments will only open in the native viewer. Damn.
    That sounds pretty reasonable and is definitely a factor for some of the earlier versions. I am not so sure service provider (mine is Rogers Wireless in Canada) plays a role for message attachments. My BESes run v4.0.3.11 (Service Pack 3, Hotfix 4 - build 18).

I am getting variable results with the different format types now though.

MS Word (.doc) - cannot select viewer type, defaults to BBC internal viewer. Viewable with some formatting.
    MS Excel (.xls) - selectable (DTG as only option), defaults to Docs to Go. Viewable and editable.
    MS PowerPoint (.ppt) - selectable (DTG as only option), defaults to Docs to Go. Viewable and editable.
    Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) - cannot select viewer type, defaults to BBC internal viewer. Viewable, negligible formatting.
    JPG images (.jpg) - selectable, defaults to BBC internal viewer. Viewable.
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 04/21/2006 at 04:11 PM.
    I noticed a few conflicting comments as I read through this thread. Is anyone working on Cingular with a regular data package? I am on the Blue side (MMode) but I think I can switch to a MediaNet plan with a switch of my SIMM at a Cingular store.
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast