Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor
    BD1, it sounds like you are attempting to create a new account through VersaMail on the T650.

You don't have to do anything on the handheld to create the account. Just get the .ZIP file with the installer, then unZIP the installer to a temporary folder on the computer you sync to the T650. Make sure you have at minimum 5.2MB of free memory on the T650, then run the BBInstaller.exe file on your computer.

(full setup instructions from Palm can be found here)
    http://www.palm.com/asia/pdf/bbc_setupguide.pdf

The executable will ask you to sync your T650, and the first time the BB Connect .prcs will be installed (they will take up 4MB of RAM and the BB client requires at least 1.2MB to function, not including message storage space). When the sync is done the T650 will request a reset and you should reset it. After the reset, turn your phone's cellular radio on.

Then continue with the installer on your computer. It will then set up the BB Connect for Palm OS client on the desktop. You will get prompted to select the mail system type (Domino or Exchange), plus you will be prompted to generate an encryption key by moving your mouse pointer around the screen. Finally you will be asked if you want to upload your calendar entries to the device. But you will never have to specify the mail server names on the device itself. Just follow the setup guide in the link above, ok?
    Great post. Thanks for the link to the Setup Guide!
  2. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Do you think my problem might be that I need to switch from medianet data to blackberry on Cingular? What do your BBC account settings in versamail?
    Are users from T-Mobile needing to switch to a BB plan, or will the Internet/hotspot plan work?
    Quote Originally Posted by BD1
    Chris, thanks for the help. I got to the point where it uploaded all my calendar entries. Then I go into email and when I try to get my mail it tells me it can't find the server. Then I go into BBC account setup in Versamail(email) and it asks for my email and bes password then I get a screen that ask me for my incoming and outgoing servers (like the POP3 account setup). Any ideas?
    BD1, I am not sure what would produce that kind of result, but before you can talk to the BES wirelessly, you have to get the service books and IT policies from the BES during the second BBC sync. I can tell you that there is no place to specify the server name or type in VersaMail for the BBC account once it has been set up. If I try to do that Versa tells me "You can only change this account's settings using the installation program on your desktop computer".

So, first things first. Contact your BES server admin, ask him/her what version the BES software is (needs to be v4.0 or better) and whether it is set to use 3DES encryption, AES, or both (BBC requires 3DES or both as the setting). Also ask him/her the hostname name of the corporate BES server and then try to "ping" the BES hostname from your computer.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was that the WinXP firewall will prompt you to unblock ports for the BBC desktop component to talk to the BES. If you answered "no" to the "Unblock port" firewall prompt then you may have to execute the setup again. Or you can manually unblock the port, but I can't tell you which one it is off hand -- my laptop is back at the office right now.

If you can reach the BES from your desktop and the XP firewall is not interfering, then proceed with the setup again per the earlier instructions. Your BES admin can also verify whether or not your T650 has received the service books and IT policies by checking the "IT policies last sent" and "last received" fields in your BES account.

If the setup completes properly and the BES admin verifies that your device has received the service books and IT policies correctly, and you are not able to edit the BBC account settings in VersaMail (you should get the same error I mentioned above), then and only then can you start looking at possible complications with your wireless carrier (like BB vs. data plan).
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 04/20/2006 at 09:29 PM.
    Any anyone been able to connect on Verizon? I've got the Service Book information and the BB Connect desktop shows my exchange account is properly configured. The BES server is set for 3DES only but I still only get the Disconnected symbol listed in the BB Main screen on the Palm. I tried to see if I could change my data plan to BB but was told that option is not available. Does this mean I'll have to wait until VZ officially supports BB Connect?
    So Sprint customers can get BB on their Treo650 if they have Data plan.???
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    In playing with BBC on my unbranded 650 w/ T-Mobile, I attempted to remove BBC. I was left with email, not versamail. When I attempted to set up my Exchange active sync account, it informed me that it would be syncing email, events, and contacts. Contacts? Did anyone know about this?
    Wireless Email, Events, and Contacts sync via exchange active sync successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    So Sprint customers can get BB on their Treo650 if they have Data plan.???
    Confirmed.
  10.    #70  
    yes... you do not need to subscribe to the Blackberry plan with Sprint with this phone...

lets hope that hole never gets filled...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtar
    Wireless Email, Events, and Contacts sync via exchange active sync successful.
    I'm on T-Mo.

Do you mean that you can now sync a Treo 650 wirelessly over the air without a cable (if I may be redundant) to your Exchange Server and get real time updates of email, calendar, and contacts?

With Versamail/Activesync I got email and calendar sync over the air, but not contacts.

If BBC can add contacts, then all I'm missing then is tasks and notes/memos.

Really bigtar? (He said, in his most ingratiating Spongebob Squarepants voice).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    I'm on T-Mo.

Do you mean that you can now sync a Treo 650 wirelessly over the air without a cable (if I may be redundant) to your Exchange Server and get real time updates of email, calendar, and contacts?

With Versamail/Activesync I got email and calendar sync over the air, but not contacts.

BBC syncs mail and calendar only. Contacts and memos/notes sync over the cable.

EAS syncs mail, calendar and contacts wirelessly (according to this MS technote)
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ctsyncfaq.mspx

I have never used EAS as we are a Domino shop, so I am not sure if all aspects of EAS are supported on the Treo.
    Sprint Customers - did you just put your serial number in as normal on the BlackBerry Connect download? I keep getting incorrect serial number.

Also, I fear I will not have success just asking my IT dept to add me to the BB list. But if I order a BB thru IT, this will set me up "legally". My question is if I do this and never use the BB, but just activate the BB client on the Treo, will this work?
  14.    #74  
    look at the beginning of this thread, there is a direct download link w/o having to put in your info.

your IT guys should have no problem adding you... It contains the same security level as a BB device. You solution may work as you only need to be added then the PIN will attach itself to the BES automatically when you sync
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings
    Also, I fear I will not have success just asking my IT dept to add me to the BB list. But if I order a BB thru IT, this will set me up "legally". My question is if I do this and never use the BB, but just activate the BB client on the Treo, will this work?
    My advice would be to request a BB through the normal channels, but point out that you have a Treo 650 and would like to test the new BB Connect client on said Treo. Be sure to mention that just paying for the BES CAL (client access license, that each BB device on the server requires) is a lot cheaper than shelling out a few hundred bucks for the hardware and CAL. Also indicate that you are able to support the non-standard hardware (i.e. T650) yourself, that will sweeten the pot and they will be a lot less worried about having to waste IT guy time on your one-man pilot project.

The method you indicate, i.e. buying the hardware and never using it, substituting the Treo + BBC, ought to work too. It's just a waste of the corp's money.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcopperfield
    your IT guys should have no problem adding you... It contains the same security level as a BB device.
    Well not quite. Some of the BES IT policies, like requiring a device password, password length/complexity, password change interval, and so on, will never apply to a T650 because BBC has no way of accepting or coping with those kinds of OS-level requirements. The BES admin can also wipe and disable true BB devices remotely in the event they are lost or stolen. (NOTE: This functionality works with BBC as well -- it will wipe your whole Treo)

While the transmission remains relatively secure with 3DES encryption, there is a lot of device-side BB security measures which the Treo can never emulate.
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 04/24/2006 at 03:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    I'm on T-Mo.

Let me explain what I did. I installed the new BBC software. I was having problems with my BES, so I removed it until it could get provisioned. I was left with "email" not versamail. This new email program is syncing contacts via exchange activesync. It is not BBC, it is the new incarnation of versamail.
    I have an unlocked GSM 650 with a Cingular Blue Side SIMM. I followed the instructions to a T. I worked with our IT Director to get me setup on our BES server; we run Lotus Notes. After I did the install, I syn'd a few times and he sees that my account on the BES changed from "Initializing" to "Active" and that my PIN shows up that was generated during the install.

Problem is nothing sync's over the air. If I go into Options, Preferences from within Email, and then select Main, I see GSM Connecting in the upper right corner. If I click Register Now, it asks if I am sure but then it doesn't appear to do anything. If I click Reconcile Now, I get an error message that says "BBC Service unavailable." I tried the Reset radio button and it goes through a service reload but then it just goes back to saying GSM Connecting. I also tried going into Preferences, Network and toggle between GPRS and blackberry.net but that doesn't help.

I am wondering if the carrier is blocking it or if the problem is that I have a AT&T SIMM. Is anyone else using this same combination and working? It looks like everything is there and the intial sync over the cable did what it was supposed to do, it's just that the Blackberry service isn't fully functional on my Treo.

I have also noticed that the Treo sometimes gets extremely slow, to the point that a few times I reset it because I thought it was hung up. I had a few instances where I couldn't turn off the screen with the red call button, even though I could navigate around on the Treo. I have had a few resets as well. Even after all this time they have had to develop this, it feels a lot like Betaware...
    First let me say this is GREAT! I just got everything loaded on my Sprint Treo, convinced IT to add my mailbox to the BB server and I am up and running.

One question though. Even though I have 43 items in my Inbox on my computer, I only have 6 on my Treo. What gives? I can't find a setting anywhere that limits the emails that should be stored on teh device or anything like that. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!
    Also, does anyone have or know where to get the User Guide that is referenced in the Setup Guide?

Thanks again!
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast