Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627
  1.    #521  
    you only need data.

Make sure you update to the latest updater on palm's site.. .that did it for me.
    Is there a new BBC client from Palm/Cingular for the new 2007 DST update? Or is the system update good enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by proxidicae View Post
    Is there a new BBC client from Palm/Cingular for the new 2007 DST update? Or is the system update good enough?
    System update worked fine for me and I have Cingular's BBC client.
    I have a unlocked 680 from palm. Does anyone have the bbinstall.exe for the 680 they can post?

Thanks
    No wonder I can't find it. Just found out that you HAVE to have cingular locked treo 680 to use BBC. The $500 dollars I spent on the UNLOCKED 680 direct from palm is not good enough I guess.

What a joke.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Is it possible to run BBC with a 650 thru TMO? If so, where can I get it? sorry, I didn't read thru all 20 pages of this thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by kc5hwb View Post
    Is it possible to run BBC with a 650 thru TMO? If so, where can I get it? sorry, I didn't read thru all 20 pages of this thread...
    Yeah, I used to do that. I believe u can buy it for $10 on palm's site (at least u used to be able to).

Or u can get it from the singapore site.
    Quote Originally Posted by skwid View Post
    No wonder I can't find it. Just found out that you HAVE to have cingular locked treo 680 to use BBC. The $500 dollars I spent on the UNLOCKED 680 direct from palm is not good enough I guess.

What a joke.
    U just have to get the BBC installer from someone w/ cingular. It works 100% on a unlocked 680.
    (I posted this also over in the 680 forum since there was a discussion about it there.)

Like the subject line says, I like BBC's e-mail features, but I want it to leave my Calendar alone. Is there any way to disable (even in a hackish way) any Calendar functionality so I can continue to use PocketMirror for those functions?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sculler1x View Post
    (I posted this also over in the 680 forum since there was a discussion about it there.)

Like the subject line says, I like BBC's e-mail features, but I want it to leave my Calendar alone. Is there any way to disable (even in a hackish way) any Calendar functionality so I can continue to use PocketMirror for those functions?

Thanks!
    I could be wrong, but I believe there's some setting in the desktop client, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by proxidicae View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe there's some setting in the desktop client, IIRC.
    I tried there too, but unfortunately, there's no setting. Hard to believe that there's no way to disable it...
    Quote Originally Posted by sculler1x View Post
    I tried there too, but unfortunately, there's no setting. Hard to believe that there's no way to disable it...
    I guess maybe because it's so tightly integrated w/ the calender (ie for meetings etc), it's a huge effort to disable it.
    Quote Originally Posted by skwid View Post

What a joke.
    See: http://www.marchansen.com/tn116/

Cingular Treo not required

I bought my Treo 680 directly from Palm so that I could have an unlocked
    phone and change the SIM cards when I travel outside the U.S. According
    to Palm's web site the Treo 680 would support the BlackBerry Connect
    with Cingular service. When I tried to download the Blackberry Connect
    software from Palm it asks for my serial number and gave me an error
    that the serial number was not valid. I called Palm and after escalating
    my issue several levels I was told that the software is only available
    for Treo's sold by Cingular. It seems that Palm sold Cingular an
    exclusive on the right to offer the Treo with BlackBerry Connect in the
    United States.

So I borrowed a Cingular Treo serial number from a friend and downloaded
    the software. It seems to work on unlocked Treo 680 without any problem.
    I am running firmware "TREO680-1.04-ROW." A Cingular Treo I looked at
    was running "TREO680-1.03-CNG." I am told that CNG stands for Cingular
    and ROW stands for "Rest Of World." Note that I am using Cingular
    service with the Treo.
    Hopefully this will be useful for someone else out there.

When I installed BBC, I first backed up my Treo 650 with Backupbuddy. Backupbuddy has saved me several times in the past. This might sound a little harsh, but if you try installing untested, unsupported software like BBC without backing up your entire device first, you're an *****.

There are probably other packages, I just happen to have purchased Backupbuddy back when I had a Treo 180g. I made three reference backups to be safe.

For testing purposes I swiped a Blackberry-plan SIM card from my workplace. It's on a group plan. It does not include a PDA-style data plan, only a wussy phone-type plan that doesn't operate with a Treo. But it was safer than messing with my personal plan.

Installation went fine on my unlocked, Cingular branded Treo 650, except for a goof on my part where I picked the wrong email client and screwed up the installation. Backupbuddy got my Treo out of the endless loop of death that resulted.

(I have a Cingular branded Treo because my original unlocked Treo from Palm was lost in a taxicab in Philly.)

Second install went perfectly. When I was done, I had a BB SIM that operated fine with BBC, and a Rogers SIM that had my old Treo-esque service on it.

Obviously the BBC features didn't work on the old SIM card, because the connection plan was wrong. However, I could switch between SIM cards at will.

With the BB SIM, BBC worked fine, and my old account appeared to work fine with my old SIM. Phone calls worked on both SIMs; internet did not work on the BBC SIM for lack of a proper data plan.

The ***** part was that after installing BBC, Blazer would not connect on my OLD SIM card. Yes, the OLD one - the one that worked just fine with Blazer prior to the BBC installation. Blazer would get to "Signing on", wait about half a minute, and then cancel.

And yes, the Network connection was set to "Internet", which is the default Rogers profile. This is a non-editable profile installed by Rogers, so I couldn't have messed it up if I wanted to. There were no service plan changes or anything to account for the problem.

I'm quite sure it was working prior to the BBC install, because I remember my frustration with trying to get at Shaw's abysmal webmail service just a few days ago. Somehow BBC seemed to have accidentally stomped on a Blazer setting somewhere.

I goofed around with it for a fair while with switching network connections and settings. I tried blackberry.net, with the expected lack of success.

I also tried using an ancient "Rogers" profile I had, originally set up when trying to get internet connectivity for my Treo upon it's first arrival in Canada - Rogers had no Treos at that time. I also modified this manual profile using settings I found on the net, but without any success.

After some more poking around, and after reading a bit about Verizon and Sprint settings, I noticed that some other carriers use no password. So I figured "what the hell" and tried erasing the password I had set in my "Rogers" profile as a lark. And it worked!

So, for me, the correct Rogers settings to allow Blazer to work were:

Connection: GPRS
    User name: wapuser1
    Password: none (unassigned)
    APN: internet.com
    Fallback: none
    IP address: automatic
    Query DNS: checked (active)

These are different from the settings I found on the net only in that the password is blank (unassigned). The settings I had previously, and that I found on the net, had the password as "wap". (The "Internet" profile installed by Rogers also reportedly has the password as "wap", although you can't see it.)

Obviously these settings do not allow Blazer to connect using my employers Blackberry SIM, but it did allow it to work on my original Treo-esque data plan SIM. Since Rogers' default "Internet" profile can not be edited, you will need to manually enter these in a new profile, and select that as your default network connection.

I haven't noticed any problems with contention between "blackberry.net" and "Rogers" yet, but since I switch SIM cards each time my experience might be different than the norm.

Obviously I don't intend to switch SIM cards all the time. However, if I'd changed my personal account to a Blackberry plan without fixing Blazer, I might never have figured out why it wouldn't connect. I probably would have ended up screaming at some hapless Rogers customer service rep for screwing up my service plan.

Now that I know it works I know what features to ask for when I call Rogers to switch my personal service plan over to a BBC plan.

The other odd behavior I noticed was, with the original SIM installed, the phone not always turn off when I pressed the power key. Which is to say the usual key tap does not shut off the screen and keyboard.

Please note that the key works just fine, and sometimes it powered off and sometimes it didn't. Also, holding the power key down always disabled the cell radio, as it should. It's not a keyboard problem. It's just that sometimes the OS missed the key tap.

I suspect that BBC is getting stuck periodically trying to access BB features on my non-BB SIM account, and is hanging up the phone for a few moments. The OS can't see the key tap during this time, making it harder to put the phone to sleep normally.

It doesn't seem to do this when operating on the Blackberry service plan, so (again) probably nobody else will notice. But it's interesting.
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627