Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Real-ity
    I'm on Sprint. Do you need the newest firmware to use this? I have it installed fine but stuck at "Disconnected" even though the service book is installed. The PIN shows up in the BES, but just connectivity through the network through my data account. Just thought maybe it was the firmware version I was running, since i'm at a loss.

Thanks.

I too am having the same issue. Always "Disconnected" Maybe has to do with the Chicago area sprint newtwork???
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk
    I too am having the same issue. Always "Disconnected" Maybe has to do with the Chicago area sprint newtwork???
    I think there are Sprint users on this forum who are using it... do you have a BlackBerry data SOC on your wireless account? Or in layman's terms, do you have a BlackBerry-specific data plan, or just a general GPRS data plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor
    I think there are Sprint users on this forum who are using it... do you have a BlackBerry data SOC on your wireless account? Or in layman's terms, do you have a BlackBerry-specific data plan, or just a general GPRS data plan?
    Thanks Chris. I got "connected" by applying the latest firmware update to the phone.

Now, I just can't send/receive anything from the BES. Our 2 admins both say that my account on the BES is fine. Nothing wrong.

I've tried resetting the connection, suspending the service, and get nothing. The only thing I see is that when I click the "Reconcile Now" button I get a message stating: The Read/Unread and Deleted Status of messages is being updated.

Only I see nothing happening.

Any more ideas before I chuck this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk
    Thanks Chris. I got "connected" by applying the latest firmware update to the phone.

Now, I just can't send/receive anything from the BES. Our 2 admins both say that my account on the BES is fine. Nothing wrong.

I've tried resetting the connection, suspending the service, and get nothing. The only thing I see is that when I click the "Reconcile Now" button I get a message stating: The Read/Unread and Deleted Status of messages is being updated.

Only I see nothing happening.

Any more ideas before I chuck this thing?
    Ask your BES admin to check three things.

1) The IT policy sent/received status on your account. It should indicate that you received the IT policy at a certain date/time which is a roundabout way of indicating that your device successfully completed enterprise activation.

2) Verify that the BES itself uses AES and 3DES encryption. If it uses AES alone then you're out of luck, BBC does not support AES.

3) Ask the BES admin to send an APB message from the console only to you. This is a non-encrypted message so AES and 3DES are not factors here. If you fail to receive it then there's probably something amiss with your wireless carrier account, like lack of a BB data SOC.
    Has anybody who uses Microsoft Exchange server (Outlook) version of BBC noticed that Birthdays that are attached to a contact on the Treo do not post to the calendar in Outlook? They show up on the Treo but not in Outlook itself. Do I have something set incorrectly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sproll
    I followed the steps perfectly, installed the Palm software and ran a first sync, then installed the BBC software, successfully completed that with it asking to move the mouse around and finally syncing my calendar. However, here's where things get funky. On the BES server my CDMA Treo shows up as a GPRS one, the service books are "Sent" and not "Applied Successfully", and of course the BBC email software on the Treo itself does not work - however there is no get option so it looks like it is set up right.
    How do you know your CDMA Treo is appearing as GSM hardware on the BES? Devices that use BB Connect do not show ANY hardware info besides the PIN. What version of BES are you running, and where in the BES Manager handheld info are you seeing GSM vs. CDMA data?
    I called our IT department about getting my treo 650 with sprint connected. All I said was I have my own phone and service capable of blackberry.

He didn't seem to know the details of their blackberry - except that it was using the latest version (v4), but said that they use cingular and not sprint so it may not work AND that for bes to work with the treo they would need to purchase something (not license) to work with pda.

Can someone confirm if this is true???? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by opacityzero; 06/21/2006 at 01:16 PM.
    I am running Version 4.0 with SP4, hotfix hotfix 3. (If I actually click on the server properties in Blackberry Manager I get 4.0.4.5)
    I've got BES (for Domino) v4.0 SP3 Hotfix 4, but I no longer think the version might be a factor. I've spotted some things in your account profile that don't make any sense.

On screen1.jpg you show the handheld properties and it does indeed list GSM as the network type. My T650 handheld properties show neither the network type nor the config type -- only the server name.

Screen2.jpg is consistent with a device that is not on the network or has not completed Enterprise Activation.

As you note, screen3.jog is the best of all -- although your account was only created on June 19th, the policy was somehow received several months earlier on February 5th... Did you ever have a prior device on this account, a GSM handheld of some kind?

As you know, your device has to complete EA in order to have a snowball's chance in hell of receiving messages. For whatever reason EA is not happening, and most of your account data screenshots reflect this.

Here's what I recommend.

1) Stop using network time -- just as a matter of general stability and to remove it as a possible complicating factor.

2) Delete the BES account from VersaMail on the device. Uninstall BB Connect from your desktop/laptop. Remove any legacy software like RIM's standard Desktop Manager software. The BB Manager admin console (for managing the server) is okay, you don't have to remove it.

3) Confirm that the BES is using AES and 3DES encryption. If this setting had to be changed to accomodate BBC -- now or earlier during the first attempt -- then restart the BES Policy Service. Any server-wide encryption settings will not take effect until this service is restarted.

4) Delete your existing BES user account, wait a few minutes for all elements of the profile to get nixed properly from BES and Exchange, then re-add yourself to the BES. Note that BBC requires over-the-wire, not OTA, enterprise activation. Hopefully your policies are configured to support this.

5) Reinstall the BB Connect software, go through the two hotsyncs and follow all steps in the setup guide -- like turning on the device antenna following the first hotsync and reset.

6) Following the final hotsync check the account data on the BES. The "policy status" field should be applied successfully and so on.

7) If the policy status field does not get updated, send an APB (unencrypted message from the console) to your handheld. If you receive it then you're at least on the wireless network and the BBC client is functioning, sorta. Troubleshoot EA as per nomal, specifically why your BES is not performing wired (versus OTA) EA.
    Everything is showing up the same way that my old screenshots are showing. The policy has been sent, time received in Feb of 2036, unit is GPRS.
    I suspect some device-side config is causing the erroneous date stamp and may be screwing up EA in the process. This may be a function of the Bell Mobility ROM because there is not a lot you can play with in the Treo's basic date/time/location settings. Perhaps you can try changing the Format preferences to "United States" (if it's not already selected) and use the M/D/Y and HH:MM date/time groups. Then re-enable the BB conduit, resend the policy books and policies from the BES, and resync.

Anything else to try? Maybe installing BBConnect and the Treo software on the BES itself so I can sync locally? I'm not sure. Like I said, my boss got his working and our configs are the exact same.
    I don't think installing BBC on the server itself will change the results. The good news is that you are getting a PIN from the device, but the bad news is that you are not getting the unencrypted, clear-text APB message. Failure of the APB smells like something is not properly configured on the wireless account, so you may want to verify with Bell Mobility that you have a BB data package. Failure of EA is a little more serious and if fiddling with the formats does not fix anything, I would bet that there is something off in the BMO ROM.
    Chris

One more for you --- I have handed over my 700P to my wife until the BBC issues with the 700p get sorted - very sad

In the meantime I have taken her 650 and I'm setting it up with BBC

I'm able to get all the way throught he installation and it tells me that its going to sync the calendar - it does and it pushes down 200+ calendar items to my treo

Its says i'm done and it was successful (i went through the pin process and all)

I can see my BBC account in versamail however I can't send or recieve any email or calendar updates

- I cant send email - they bounce over to Drafts fodler
    - I'm not getting any mail
    - I can add a calender item on the treo but it does not go up to calendar and vice versa

If i go to prefereces in BBC and select Mail under BlacBerry it says Connected

I have push the register now button and reports back that "you are now registed on the Blackberry Network"

I have suspened and restarted the service --- all with no luck

I have had BBC working before with my old 650 (jumped the gun and sold it on ebay) .... my IT department had removed me and added me back to the BBES

Any ideas -- am I missing something easy?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhozier
    Chris

One more for you --- I have handed over my 700P to my wife until the BBC issues with the 700p get sorted - very sad

In the meantime I have taken her 650 and I'm setting it up with BBC

I'm able to get all the way throught he installation and it tells me that its going to sync the calendar - it does and it pushes down 200+ calendar items to my treo

Its says i'm done and it was successful (i went through the pin process and all)

I can see my BBC account in versamail however I can't send or recieve any email or calendar updates

- I cant send email - they bounce over to Drafts fodler
    - I'm not getting any mail
    - I can add a calender item on the treo but it does not go up to calendar and vice versa

If i go to prefereces in BBC and select Mail under BlacBerry it says Connected

I have push the register now button and reports back that "you are now registed on the Blackberry Network"

I have suspened and restarted the service --- all with no luck

I have had BBC working before with my old 650 (jumped the gun and sold it on ebay) .... my IT department had removed me and added me back to the BBES

Any ideas -- am I missing something easy?

Thanks
    Could be one of two things I guess:

1) Incorrect / incomplete / corrupted service books and IT policies
    2) BES encryption setting has changed (to AES only)

Re-enable your BBC conduit and ask the BES admin to resend the service books to your account. Then resync and test it out.
    Reinstall problems--
    I got a swap-out 650 from the Sprint Store for a bad headphone jack and upon my first sync it let me know that I needed to reinstall BBConnect. I reinstalled, went through the normal setup, ran the modify install on the desktop piece to get through the sync...etc. Everything went fine without error, but when I look at my device it shows old email that would probably have been synced on the last hostsync in the DB files. I do not get any errors and the BBC service is "connected" but I'm not able to send/receive with my device.
    Any ideas?
    -Thanks
    The0ne
    Hey Chris,

I tried changing the date format preferences and doing the resend policy books, resync, etc. Still did not work. Also tried the APB message and I did not get anything. I called Bell and verified with two different CSR's that my number did indeed have a Blackberry data plan attached to it , so I guess there is not much else left to try? BMO does not have an updated ROM so maybe it just does not support it right now. That sucks, I guess I should've got Rogers!

If you have any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated of course. Thanks for all the help so far!

Thom
    Sorry, I have no more bright ideas for you... Could be the ROM or it could be the carrier themselves -- they may not permit T650s to access BB services, based on ESN numbers or something else hardware-specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by the0ne
    Reinstall problems--
    I got a swap-out 650 from the Sprint Store for a bad headphone jack and upon my first sync it let me know that I needed to reinstall BBConnect. I reinstalled, went through the normal setup, ran the modify install on the desktop piece to get through the sync...etc. Everything went fine without error, but when I look at my device it shows old email that would probably have been synced on the last hostsync in the DB files. I do not get any errors and the BBC service is "connected" but I'm not able to send/receive with my device.
    Any ideas?
    -Thanks
    The0ne
    Does your BES account show the old Treo's PIN number, or the new Treo's PIN number?

You may need to have your BES admin remove and re-add your account to the BES to take care of any remaining hardware settings left over from your old install.
    The service was working before the hardware swap, the provider has not blocked this service as of yesterday.

I have a new PIN with the new device, I asked the BES admin to remove/re-add the account and he replied that now I just needed to "Do an activation" I just ran the install the first time, not sure what it did behind the scenes...not sure how to "do an activation" I have uninstalled everything on my desktop, removed my BBC account on versamail, reinstalled and got nothing. I'm not sure how to uninstall BBC on the device considering it's a whole lot of pieces tied into mail/calendar...etc.

-Thanks
    The0ne
    Quote Originally Posted by the0ne
    The service was working before the hardware swap, the provider has not blocked this service as of yesterday.

I have a new PIN with the new device, I asked the BES admin to remove/re-add the account and he replied that now I just needed to "Do an activation" I just ran the install the first time, not sure what it did behind the scenes...not sure how to "do an activation" I have uninstalled everything on my desktop, removed my BBC account on versamail, reinstalled and got nothing. I'm not sure how to uninstall BBC on the device considering it's a whole lot of pieces tied into mail/calendar...etc.

-Thanks
    The0ne
    You don't have to do anything beyond remove the BBC account in VersaMail and uninstall BBC from your desktop/laptop. "Doing an activation" is enterprise activation (or EA), which passes encryption data, service books and IT policies from the BES to your handheld. Unfortunately that is not sufficient in your case.

BB Connect for Palm is an entirely different animal from the standard BB Desktop Manager. Desktop Manager is designed to pass any changed hardware info back to the BES, and it passes a lot more information (like device software, hardware version, etc) than BBC Connect does. BBC Connect for Palm passes only the PIN and absolutely no hardware information. Sometimes it screws up and does not pass changed hardware information properly.

Normally your BES admin would be correct and simply performing another EA would update the BES with your hardware info. In your case, with BB Connect, it is wiser to remove the account and re-add it, so that you may be sure no residual information is retained. You will have to find a way to cajole the BES admin into removing and re-adding you. Then you can reinstall BBC and hopefully all will be well.
    I'm having same problem as the previous SPRINT user w/ a 650 and that of the Bell mobility (I have SPRINT) - All looks good on device and on BES, but outgoing email bounces back & nothing comes in - tried everything mentioned in previous messages in this subject..... Could anything hardware specific or ROM version specific be the issue? I have most current ROM version (1.13). My first guess was SPRINT started blocking the port numbers - but if others still using succesfully it doesn't point to that.

Are other SPRINT users succesful with this ROM version?
    Anyone have this working on Cingular - we've got a Groupwise BES, and I've tried everything to get it operational with no success - although, I admit, my tech staff has not been terribly helpful. So if someone has a Groupwise blackberry enterprise server, and Cingular, and has it working - I want your story.
    Quote Originally Posted by blunz
    Anyone have this working on Cingular - we've got a Groupwise BES, and I've tried everything to get it operational with no success - although, I admit, my tech staff has not been terribly helpful. So if someone has a Groupwise blackberry enterprise server, and Cingular, and has it working - I want your story.
    You're out of luck, Blunz. The very fine print on RIM's page discussing BBC features for the T650 includes this unfortunate footnote:

** Requires BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 3.6 or higher for Microsoft® Exchange and BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.0 or higher for IBM® Lotus® Domino®.

How's the mail migration roadmap looking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor
    You don't have to do anything beyond remove the BBC account in VersaMail and uninstall BBC from your desktop/laptop. "Doing an activation" is enterprise activation (or EA), which passes encryption data, service books and IT policies from the BES to your handheld. Unfortunately that is not sufficient in your case.

BB Connect for Palm is an entirely different animal from the standard BB Desktop Manager. Desktop Manager is designed to pass any changed hardware info back to the BES, and it passes a lot more information (like device software, hardware version, etc) than BBC Connect does. BBC Connect for Palm passes only the PIN and absolutely no hardware information. Sometimes it screws up and does not pass changed hardware information properly.

Normally your BES admin would be correct and simply performing another EA would update the BES with your hardware info. In your case, with BB Connect, it is wiser to remove the account and re-add it, so that you may be sure no residual information is retained. You will have to find a way to cajole the BES admin into removing and re-adding you. Then you can reinstall BBC and hopefully all will be well.
    I had the BES admin remove and re-add my account, then deinstalled everything and reinstalled everything. It did not have me recreate my key and I have the same PIN. I get the same results, no emails pushed to the device. Is it best to have the BES admin remove the account and let the BBC installer create it?

Thanks