Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor
    Once BBC is installed, the Calendar will never again sync over-the-wire using the standard Calendar conduit. It is designed to rely entirely upon wireless synchronisation, after completion of the second BBC sync (which should transfer all of your Calendar appointments).

Hi Chris and all. Many thanks for all of your hard work and documentation on this issue.

I've read this thread since the first post (way back in April) and have finally been put on our corporate BES server...with IT's blessing and full knowledge of what I'm trying to do.

My question to anyone is this:

I'm on the second sync and it begins to upload my calendar. Problem is, I have no calendar appointments in my Lotus Notes Calendar, yet it still trys to upload more than 20,000 calendar appointments!!! If I kill the process at this point, I kill the whole thing and I can only send e-mails via BBC on my Treo, but not receive them.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

SPRINT PCS-Treo 650, Full Firmware Upgrades (no custom ROM)
    Lotus Notes Environment
    Last edited by 7zero; 05/16/2006 at 11:07 AM. Reason: changed receive to send in third graph.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrogers
    Ok - Treo 650, Lotus Domino.

Installed BBC - no problems or errors during install except going to Versamail preferences under BBC account and I didn't get the new menus for Blackberry.

So I deleted "Email" on the Treo and uninstalled the Blackberry Desktop client from the Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs.

When trying to reinstall the BB Desktop client I am now getting an error message stating that "Can't Start HotSync --- HotSync failed to launch properly. Restart your computer and try again."

I've restarted twice to no avail. Any ideas?
    BUMP... any help?? Please?
    Quote Originally Posted by 7zero
    Hi Chris and all. Many thanks for all of your hard work and documentation on this issue.

I've read this thread since the first post (way back in April) and have finally been put on our corporate BES server...with IT's blessing and full knowledge of what I'm trying to do.

My question to anyone is this:

I'm on the second sync and it begins to upload my calendar. Problem is, I have no calendar appointments in my Lotus Notes Calendar, yet it still trys to upload more than 20,000 calendar appointments!!! If I kill the process at this point, I kill the whole thing and I can only send e-mails via BBC on my Treo, but not receive them.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

SPRINT PCS-Treo 650, Full Firmware Upgrades (no custom ROM)
    Lotus Notes Environment
    You must have something in your calendar, 20,000 entries didn't just get there all by themselves.

Check your Notes Calendar (go into your Calendar and select the "Meetings" tab at the top -- it is listed after the Day, Week and Month tabs). Chances are there are more than 20,000 things in this view (holidays, birthdays, etc), and that's what's being transferred to the T650 calendar.

You can remove some of them to help save time during the transfer ... or you can wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrogers
    BUMP... any help?? Please?
    I replied to your message in the new thread.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    You must have something in your calendar, 20,000 entries didn't just get there all by themselves.

Check your Notes Calendar (go into your Calendar and select the "Meetings" tab at the top -- it is listed after the Day, Week and Month tabs). Chances are there are more than 20,000 things in this view (holidays, birthdays, etc), and that's what's being transferred to the T650 calendar.

You can remove some of them to help save time during the transfer ... or you can wait.
    Hi Chris. Many thanks again.

Well, it toppped out at more than 100k before I killed the process. My IT guys and I are going nuts looking for these phantom entries.

I'll try again and see what happens.

Cheers!
    Hi Chris. Many thanks again.

Well, it toppped out at more than 100k before I killed the process. My IT guys and I are going nuts looking for these phantom entries.

I'll try again and see what happens.

Cheers!
    Some of them might be buried years in the past. If you don't already do this, consider archiving your older mail/calendar entries. Your Domino Administrator should be able to show you how.

I usually have mine set to archive anything older than three months -- if you haven't dealt with something in that time, chances are you never will, right?

EDIT: I am assuming you have Manager access to your own mail file (as is standard for Lotus Notes) -- so you should be able to see everything in the Calendar and anywhere else. While inside your mail file, check the Security status indicator (in the bottom status bar of LN, to the left of the Location status indicator) and ensure that it is displaying a door key icon. This indicates Manager permissions to that DB.

All Calendar entries should be visible if you go to your Calendar view in Lotus Notes, and select the "Meetings" tab (assuming that your LN is R6.5 or later). All meetings will be visible in this view. You should be able to use it to pare down the number of appointments in your Calendar.
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 05/16/2006 at 02:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Some of them might be buried years in the past. If you don't already do this, consider archiving your older mail/calendar entries. Your Domino Administrator should be able to show you how.

I usually have mine set to archive anything older than three months -- if you haven't dealt with something in that time, chances are you never will, right?
    Indeed. Nothing more than 3-years is worth remembering...

I archive all my mail and calender appointments off my server to my local copy once a week, and I don't see anything in my "All Document's" folder. IT says my calender is clean...could it be pulling from some other location?

-George
    Indeed. Nothing more than 3-years is worth remembering...

I archive all my mail and calender appointments off my server to my local copy once a week, and I don't see anything in my "All Document's" folder. IT says my calender is clean...could it be pulling from some other location?

-George
    Ensure that the Domino server specified in your Person document is the same one that is specified in the Home/mail server: field of your Office (Network) location document, and that the file path specified is the same as the one specified in the location doc.

If your Domino servers are clustered, ensure that both cluster replicas of your mail file are accurate and have the same information.

Ask your IT guy to check the Public NAB on the BES server and ensure that it is replicating properly, and that the Person doc entry for you on the BES points to the same mail server and file location as the one on your actual mail server, and in your Location doc settings.

The only thing I can think of is that the mail file specified in the BES' copy of your Person doc is not the one you are presently looking at, because there is no other way to account for a hundred thousand entries that you can't see. It sounds like you and the BES aren't looking in the same place.

EDIT: Something else I see people get caught on all the time is having personal folders with the same name as mail file default views (i.e. Inbox, Calendar, To Do, etc). Ensure that you do not have a personal folder named "Calendar" buried somewhere in your mail file -- this may be confusing your own server and the BES, and they might think that messages in this folder are actually Calendar entries when they are not.

Another thing you can check is the actual size and document count of your mail file. After you have validated the items above (cluster copies, Person doc on mail and BES servers, etc), check your mail DB properties. Open your mail file, then from the Notes menu select File > Database > Properties. Select the second tab (looks like the lowercase letter "i"). Look at the Disk Space and Documents fields. If you have hundreds of thousands of Calendar entries, it should be evident from the doc count.
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 05/16/2006 at 03:03 PM. Reason: additional content re: personal folders
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Ensure that the Domino server specified in your Person document is the same one that is specified in the Home/mail server: field of your Office (Network) location document, and that the file path specified is the same as the one specified in the location doc.

If your Domino servers are clustered, ensure that both cluster replicas of your mail file are accurate and have the same information.

Ask your IT guy to check the Public NAB on the BES server and ensure that it is replicating properly, and that the Person doc entry for you on the BES points to the same mail server and file location as the one on your actual mail server, and in your Location doc settings.

The only thing I can think of is that the mail file specified in the BES' copy of your Person doc is not the one you are presently looking at, because there is no other way to account for a hundred thousand entries that you can't see. It sounds like you and the BES aren't looking in the same place.
    Hi Chris.

Well, my IT guys is not only patient but kind. All is pointing to where it should be pointing and all is set up right on all fronts.

I'm letting the calendar upload do it's thing...until I have to leave the office. Maybe it'll run out of battery by then or it'll stop.

I appreciate all of your help. I'll report back here on any progress.

I'm stumped.
    Cheers,
    -G
    T-Mobile Treo 650 Unlocked / T-Zones (T-Mobile Web)

My problems/fixes:

Loaded Treo : BBC loads and completes. No Service Books, no connections to RIM/BES. (VM -> Options -> Prefs -> Main -> GSM Connecting)

Fresh Treo : BBC loads, Service Books downloaded, no connections to RIM/BES. (VM -> Options -> Prefs -> Main -> GSM Connecting)

Loaded Treo minus SnapperMail : BBC loads, Service Books load, no connections to RIM/BES. (VM -> Options -> Prefs -> Main -> GSM Connecting)

I changed my phone to a BlackBerry 8700 on my T-Mobile account. I then added the T-Mobile BlackBerry unlimited with Enterprise service option, which was not there until I "told" them I had a "Blackberry". As soon as the account updated (about 1 minute)
    (VM -> Options -> Prefs -> Main -> GSM Connecting -> GPRS Connected)

And I got a message saying I was now connected to the Blackberry Network.

I am now needing to test the email / send / recieve / etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by dwilasnd
    T-Mobile Treo 650 Unlocked / T-Zones (T-Mobile Web)

My problems/fixes:

Loaded Treo : BBC loads and completes. No Service Books, no connections to RIM/BES. (VM -> Options -> Prefs -> Main -> GSM Connecting)

Fresh Treo : BBC loads, Service Books downloaded, no connections to RIM/BES. (VM -> Options -> Prefs -> Main -> GSM Connecting)

Loaded Treo minus SnapperMail : BBC loads, Service Books load, no connections to RIM/BES. (VM -> Options -> Prefs -> Main -> GSM Connecting)

I changed my phone to a BlackBerry 8700 on my T-Mobile account. I then added the T-Mobile BlackBerry unlimited with Enterprise service option, which was not there until I "told" them I had a "Blackberry". As soon as the account updated (about 1 minute)
    (VM -> Options -> Prefs -> Main -> GSM Connecting -> GPRS Connected)

And I got a message saying I was now connected to the Blackberry Network.

I am now needing to test the email / send / recieve / etc...
    If the BBC client was installed before you had a good connection to RIM, then you didn't get the service books and enterprise activation did not occur. You should reinstall BBC and follow the Setup Guide instructions (which will prompt you to turn on the phone, allowing BBC connection before the service book and EA activation/transfer).
    Does anyone know if the attachment size limitation can be changed? I just tried to send an email with a picture I snapped and got the following messages:

"This message is too large to send via the BlackBerry service. Maximum size is 32000 bytes"
    Are you using the light DTG version packaged with the T650 on the installer CD, or the full-blown package?
    I reinstalled the light version of DTG version 7 after removing version 8. Didn't make a difference. But today I reran the Palm "Setup Blackberry Connect" on my PC and it reinstalled everything on the Treo. Now my attachments automatically open in DTG! I think the light DTG 7 needs to be installed first before installing BBC. Then the attachments will open in DTG. Seems to work fine for .doc attachments. Can't seem to work for .xls.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrtype
    I reinstalled the light version of DTG version 7 after removing version 8. Didn't make a difference. But today I reran the Palm "Setup Blackberry Connect" on my PC and it reinstalled everything on the Treo. Now my attachments automatically open in DTG! I think the light DTG 7 needs to be installed first before installing BBC. Then the attachments will open in DTG. Seems to work fine for .doc attachments. Can't seem to work for .xls.
    Interesting observation... I don't really want to roll back to the Dark Ages, but if you can get it to work with all files types, it might be worthwhile. Palm really ought to be shedding more light on this thing, but there are zero support documents available from them. RIM has some very basic support information (how to send/receive mail, etc), but this really isn't RIM's ballpark. As long as the mail gets from your BES to the device, RIM's part is done. The guts of the Palm app are really Palm's responsibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrtype
    Does anyone know if the attachment size limitation can be changed? I just tried to send an email with a picture I snapped and got the following messages:

"This message is too large to send via the BlackBerry service. Maximum size is 32000 bytes"
    The old BES versions (2.x) used to be capped at 32KB. The newer (4.x) versions are not limited in this way... but it looks like the BBC client is.
    The old BES versions (2.x) used to be capped at 32KB. The newer (4.x) versions are not limited in this way... but it looks like the BBC client is.
    I saw somewhere "Attachments up to 32KB". It looks like I can just switch to lower resolution on the camera app if I want to send any pictures in my emails. Thanks for the input on this Chris.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawform
    Great! Just downloaded and installed Butler. Got it to flash the led and vibrate. Although, it took me a few tries before I figured out that the led blink happens first, for about 5 seconds, then it vibrates. I was beginning to think that I wouldn't get vibrate to work. Now...there is only one issue left-viewing attachments.
    I'm having a problem with resets when he Butler attention grabber is enabled with BBC. It worked fine for a few days and then started this endless reset loop. Removing Butler elminated the reset problem but I really like having it set the LED to orange. An thoughts?

Also, Lotus Notes freqently corrupts calendar entries. My Notes mail file is 13 years old (it HAD entries back to 1993) and was full of corrupt entries. The best bet seems to be cleaning out the calendar and starting over.
    DBscan resets the Treo everytime it runs since the installation of BBC. Does anyone know how or if this can be fixed??????

I thought rebuilding the calendar database might fix the issue. I'm not sure how to force the rebuild. Any thoughts????
    Well not quite. Some of the BES IT policies, like requiring a device password, password length/complexity, password change interval, and so on, will never apply to a T650 because BBC has no way of accepting or coping with those kinds of OS-level requirements. The BES admin can also wipe and disable true BB devices remotely in the event they are lost or stolen. (NOTE: This functionality works with BBC as well -- it will wipe your whole Treo)

While the transmission remains relatively secure with 3DES encryption, there is a lot of device-side BB security measures which the Treo can never emulate.
    I'm wondering if this is what I'm running into. I have Sprint and was able to (seemingly) set up with no problem (with MS Outlook on win2k). However, while emails and calendar comes through fine, outgoing/sent mail from 650 fails.

IT dept. documentation states that typical new setup for a BB device requires set up of an "activation password" that you enter when "starting the Enterprise Activation process on your BlackBerry." On BBC, there's nowhere I see where such password can be input.

Our BB policy specifically states that BBC is not supported, so I'm not confident of reaching out to work with them through this issue...I did learn we support both AES and 3DES.

EDIT: UPDATE; don't know how, but this appears to have resolved itself.

While not as feature rich as even Sprint's BCPE, it will be nice not having to leave my PC up and running in order to get/respond to mail.
    Last edited by dslunceford; 05/18/2006 at 10:36 AM.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by MH01
    I'm having a problem with resets when he Butler attention grabber is enabled with BBC. It worked fine for a few days and then started this endless reset loop. Removing Butler elminated the reset problem but I really like having it set the LED to orange. An thoughts?

Also, Lotus Notes freqently corrupts calendar entries. My Notes mail file is 13 years old (it HAD entries back to 1993) and was full of corrupt entries. The best bet seems to be cleaning out the calendar and starting over.
    I have been reluctant to toy with Butler because of previous crash experiences, but the lack of vibration support in BBC is practically unforgiveable. It might drive me to try the latest version.

As for the 13-year-old Notes Calendar, I am surprised your IT dept has not aimed the Finger of God at you and forced you to clean it up, via archiving or deletion.

If you really don't want to delete all that stuff, save it in a local archive. You can still open it up and see it, but it won't get transferred to the T650 via BBC.