Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Do I re-enable the the conduits and then hotsync or just leave it as is?

It's so weird - it worked on 1-2 entries and then quit. It's messin' with me! It's killin' me!
    Chris - I'm sorry - first - Thank you so much for your help. Second, I see that you said to sync. My apologies; I'm getting ahead of myself.

Thank you,

T
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon
    Chris - I'm sorry - first - Thank you so much for your help. Second, I see that you said to sync. My apologies; I'm getting ahead of myself.

Thank you,

T
    And don't forget to have your IT guys resend the service books and IT policies first.

1. BES admin resends service books and IT policies to your account. Ask him/her to notify you after they have initiated the resend.
    2. You re-enable the Blackberry conduit in Hotsync Manager.
    3. You perform a cradled/cabled hotsync with your T650.
    4. Go into BBC > Preferences > Main and force a reconciliation.
    5. Create a new appointment in your corporate calendar app and see if it shows up on your T650.
    6. Do likewise for creating a new appointment on your T650 and see if it shows up in the corp calendar.

Oh, and

7. Remember, wireless mail and wireless calendar are now inseparable as far as BB Connect is concerned. Unlike standard BB devices you do not have any choice about enabling one and disabling the other. They are both enabled and always will be. You will no longer have the option of syncing a Calendar through Hotsync -- on any computer -- unless you completely uninstall BB Connect from the device.
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 05/03/2006 at 04:57 PM.
    Dear Chris,

I <3 you.

Tibby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor
    That is interesting. I get Docs to Go in all cases (picking icon, filename, choose from menu) -- I can't force an BBC internal viewer even if I wanted to. Even when I ask to select a viewer the selection is Documents and I can't change it.

Not that I want to, but the variety of results among all of us is kinda odd.

EDIT: Scratch that, getting variable results now.

MS Word (.doc) - non-selectable, defaults to BBC internal viewer. Viewable with some formatting.
    MS Excel (.xls) - selectable (DTG as only option), defaults to Docs to Go. Viewable and editable.
    MS PowerPoint (.ppt) - selectable (DTG as only option), defaults to Docs to Go. Viewable and editable.
    Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) - non-selectable, defaults to BBC internal viewer. Viewable, negligible formatting.
    JPG images (.jpg) - selectable, defaults to BBC internal viewer. Viewable.
    Has anyone found a way to use DTG to open all of these attachment types. I'm loving BBC right now and loving being back with my Treo after 6 months with a corporate BB device. A solution to this would just make my day!
  6.    #246  
    i second that... DTG doesnt open my attachments all the time...

Thanks!!!
    Same here. Can't get DTG to open my attachments with any consistency. The internal BBC viewer seems to take over. If anyone figures this out, please post.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Sprint reset loops on install. Right after the hotsyc that installs the BB stuff finishes Treo goes into a loop. Tried stopping it with the warm reset but no joy. Did a hard reset and tried installing BB again. Reset loops as above. Sucks!
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    Sprint reset loops on install. Right after the hotsyc that installs the BB stuff finishes Treo goes into a loop. Tried stopping it with the warm reset but no joy. Did a hard reset and tried installing BB again. Reset loops as above. Sucks!
    After the hard reset, did you install BBC on a "bare" Treo or did you load any 3rd party apps first? What version of the firmware ROM are you using? Is it "stock" or has it been customised?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I've got a custom with RP and BC stripped out. It has the 3.1F Versamail. I have the latest Sprint update 1.13a. I did not try to get it on a stripped Treo. It was loading the BB and doing a recovery sync at the same time after the hard reset. I have 9.6M of free memory.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    I've got a custom with RP and BC stripped out. It has the 3.1F Versamail. I have the latest Sprint update 1.13a. I did not try to get it on a stripped Treo. It was loading the BB and doing a recovery sync at the same time after the hard reset. I have 9.6M of free memory.
    Mine also has RP stripped from the ROM... never had BC since I'm not on Sprint. I don't recall what the VM version was pre-install, but it was whatever was stock in the 1.20 ENA ROM.

If possible I would try to separate the recovery sync and installation sync. Recovery sync first, BBC install later. The BBC install overwrites some of the network profile DBs as well as calendar and VM applications, so I could see a conflict happening there.

At worst you could try BBC on a "bare" Treo and then load apps one by one to find out who is causing the freak-out.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I tried to install on a bare bones Treo, but I did not go to a stock ROM. It still reset loops on completion of the install hotsync. Thanks for your help. I'll just wait till later to try again after more info comes out.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    my head hurts.....

There's a lot of great data on this thread, but I have the attention span of a gnat. Has / will someone post step by step for a GSM phone where you jam in a BB SIM ?

sorry if this is redundant, but I am having trouble finding it.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    At worst you could try BBC on a "bare" Treo and then load apps one by one to find out who is causing the freak-out.
    Chris - you seem to be the oracle on BBC...

My treo is not a suported device, so I was planning on ordering a BB thru corporate, then just swapping the SIM from the BB to my Treo (unlocked GSM). COuld it be this simple ? Any advice before I put the plan into motion ?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    Chris - you seem to be the oracle on BBC...

My treo is not a suported device, so I was planning on ordering a BB thru corporate, then just swapping the SIM from the BB to my Treo (unlocked GSM). COuld it be this simple ? Any advice before I put the plan into motion ?

Thanks.
    Well first you might want to save them the trouble of wasting a few hundred bucks on hardware that won't be used. =) You could always tell them you have the BB hardware and just need the account set up on the BES. Then contact your wireless carrier and ask them to put a BlackBerry data SOC on your account (this may require moving to a BB data plan). I think this is preferable since if the BBC client doesn't work out for you, you will end up having to cart around the BB handheld in addition to the T650. And BBC will definitely not work out for you if your BES is configured to support only AES encryption. So before you do anything, find out from your IT dept whether the BES is configured to use AES and 3DES encryption, or just AES alone.

If you choose to order the hardware and simply swap SIM cards, then that works too. My only advice in that case would be to NOT sync or activate the BB hardware -- if you do, this will populate device-specific hardware info into your BES account and the BBC client on the Treo will not know how to deal with it during BBC activation. This may cause a reset loop situation and can only be resolved by hard resetting the device and having the BES admin remove and re-add your BES account.

If you wait and activate the Treo first, then the BES gets zero hardware info and does not try to activate IT policies that are not appropriate for the Treo. Things will work and there will be sunshine and puppies all around.
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 05/05/2006 at 10:34 AM.
    I tried to install on a bare bones Treo, but I did not go to a stock ROM. It still reset loops on completion of the install hotsync. Thanks for your help. I'll just wait till later to try again after more info comes out.
    I don't think a stock ROM is required -- mine isn't. I cut out RealPlayer and a bunch of non-English language files, added in fat32 and some Blazer mods, etc. I was just concerned about whether the VersaMail components were still there.

BBC does appear to install some CDMA-specific stuff but being a GSM user I have no idea what pre-existing components they may be affecting. RIM has no troubleshooting docs for this particular scenario, unfortunately.

If you are on really good terms with your IT dept, you could always ask them to submit a tech request to RIM with your particulars.

If you know other guys on Sprint who want to install BBC but haven't yet done so, maybe you could compare pre-install .prc and .pdb versions for the CDMA-specific files on your devices, and see if your device is different in any respect.
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 05/05/2006 at 09:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Well first you might want to save them the trouble of wasting a few hundred bucks on hardware that won't be used. =)
    You've exposed youself - you obviously do NOT work for a corporate IT department

Thanks for the insights. I will let you know how I make out.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    And BBC will definitely not work out for you if your BES is configured to support only AES encryption. So before you do anything, find out from your IT dept whether the BES is configured to use AES and 3DES encryption, or just AES alone.
    What does that mean ?

Would BBC EVER work with just AES ?

Unfortunately, if the answer from IT is AES only, I will be stuck carrying a BB and a Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    What does that mean ?

Would BBC EVER work with just AES ?

Unfortunately, if the answer from IT is AES only, I will be stuck carrying a BB and a Treo.
    All of the BlackBerry Connect clients (whether Palm or Symbian or otherwise) only support 3DES encryption, not AES.

Some future version might, but the ones we have right now never will.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    so.... BB devices support AES ?